Will Kerry Be Back In 2008?

cityboi

Will Kerry Be Back In 2008?

Nov. 9, 2004

Kerry blows a kiss before delivering his concession speech last week. (Photo: AP)

(CBS/AP) Will Massachusetts Senator John Kerry run for president again in 2008?

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Massachusetts senator has already called big Democratic donors in a bid to build a political organization that will give him a voice in national affairs and position him to make another run for the White House.

In a related development, Kerry's brother and political confidant — Boston lawyer Cameron Kerry — told the Boston Globe that another bid for the White House was "conceivable."

Cameron Kerry said his brother is in a position of national leadership, despite having narrowly lost to President Bush last week. Cameron Kerry said his brother wants to work through the Senate, and perhaps through a newly formed political action committee, to make sure the Democrats have a strong ground organization in 2008.

"I don't know why that [last week's loss] should necessarily be it. I think it's too early to assess. But I think that he is going to continue to fight on for the values, ideals, and issues this campaign is about," Cameron Kerry told the Globe.

The Times said key members of Kerry's finance team have decided to stick with the senator, and that unlike 1988 and 2000, when Democratic nominees Michael Dukakis and Al Gore were pressured to step aside following their defeats, there appeared to be no such sentiment for Kerry to do so, at least as yet.

"After 1988 and 2000, there was a different sort of tone in the fundraising community," Robert Farmer, who was campaign treasurer for Dukakis in 1988 and Kerry this year, told the Times "They felt they had been let down. I don't get that sense now."

Two other Democrats, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and Kerry's former running mate, John Edwards, have been mentioned as potential candidates.

The Massachusetts senator has not granted an interview since he conceded the race to Mr. Bush. Kerry will be 64 in 2008, and his Senate term will expire that year.

Kerry isn't the only former Democratic presidential candidate with ambitions.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean is considering a bid to become chairman of the national Democratic Party.

"He told me he was thinking about it," Steve Grossman, himself a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said Monday. Grossman was a Dean backer during the former Vermont governor's failed presidential bid.

Dean, who was in Albany, New York, Monday night to give a speech, said he hasn't decided about the top party job, noting he'd received thousands of e-mails urging him to try for it. He said he's still uncertain about his future.

"It's a lot easier to run for president when you don't know what you're getting into," he said. "I will stay involved, believe me."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kerry just needs to step aside and find another way to help the American people. The election results proved that people arent enthusiastic about Kerry. I think he needs to let more popular options like John Edwards step up. If he were to run again it certainly puts John Edwards in an akward postition be cause he cant really say anything negative about him after being Kerry's running mate. I think the majority of the people who supported Kerry was because they wanted to get rid of Bush. It was the "anybody but Bush" mind set. But in 2008, Bush will be gone. I believe in the direction Kerry or Hillary wants to take the nation but those two just are electable.

In regards to the war on terror and 911, I couldnt help but think about these quotes. Its really scary when you think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."

~ James Madison, while a United States Congressman

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

~ Hermann Goering, President of the Reichstag, Nazi Party, and Luftwaffe Commander in Chief

"The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force."

"The art of leadership. . . consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention."

"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

"The size of the lie is a definite factor in causing it to be believed, for the vast masses of the nation are in the depths of their hearts more easily deceived than they are consciously and intentionally bad. The primitive simplicity of their minds renders them a more easy prey to a big lie than a small one, for they themselves often tell little lies but would be ashamed to tell a big one."

~ Adolf Hitler

"The one who derives advantage from the crime is the one most likely to have committed it."

~ Seneca

Kerry Campaign Lawyers Checking Ohio Vote

Maila Rible , Web Producer

Last Updated: 11/11/2004 9:44:55 AM

E-mail This Article

Printable Version

Make WFMY News 2 Your Home Page

Cleveland, OH -- Lawyers from John Kerry's presidential campaign are checking out vote results in Ohio, but insist they're "not expecting to change the outcome of the election."

They promise they're not there to challenge the election but are on a "fact-finding mission" to make sure that all the votes in Ohio are counted.

According to unofficial election returns, President Bush beat Kerry there by 136,000 votes. Ohio's 20 electoral votes were the difference in the race.

Kerry's lawyers say they want to identify any voting problems and put to rest any doubts about the legitimacy of the Ohio vote. To do that they'll ask election officials about the number of absentee and provisional ballots and if there were any reports of equipment malfunctions

Wouldnt it be something if they counted these Ohio provisional and absentee ballots and found out Kerry won? Theoretically, if that happened, Kerry becomes president elect. But for people who voted for Kerry, dont get your hopes up because its unlikely Kerry can make up 130,000 votes. But you never know.

well you know me with my conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

But I just read on CBS New website that the president of the company that makes the touch screen voting machines across the country supports Bush and the republican party and even wrote a letter to the republican party that stated that he would make sure hed do everything he could to get Bush re-elected. Now we're hearing of voting irregualrities in some of the battleground states. Machines in some key precincts in Ohio casted more votes than there were voters and the extra votes went to Bush. There is no telling how many precincts in Ohio where this has happened. What even more odd is that Bush received great support in heavily democratic counties in southern Florida. When your votes are computerized, there is no paper trail so someone could easily hack into the system and alter your vote and the public wouldnt even know about it. If the government want to do that, they could without and compelling evidence that its happened. Its really odd that so many people across the country is dissatisfied with Bush and he still gets elected. It just seemed so strange when he won because the outcome didnt reflect peoples feeling across the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived