Will baseball return to Greenville?

Spartan

Teams vie for Greenville baseball market

The Greenville Braves released their territorial hold Monday, and two other clubs immediately announced they had filed papers to move to Greenville County.

The Diamond Jaxx, a Cubs double-A affiliate from Tennessee, applied to bring baseball to Mauldin, said general manager, Jeff Parker, seated Monday with team owners Bob and David Lozinak at Brett Public Relations in Greenville.

"We go to work now, garnering public support," Parker said.

Within an hour, the Capital City Bombers, a single-A Red Sox affiliate out of Columbia, applied to move its team to Greenville's West End, said team president and part-owner Rich Mozingo.

"It was a wild hour in our lives," Mozingo said.

Only one team will get the territory, according to Minor League rules, with a decision riding on lease terms, the market, financial package and stadium, among other factors.

The Jaxx trio was visiting with Mauldin resident Tim Brett, owner of the public relations agency, and looking at possible stadium sites when word came that the Braves were gone.

The Jaxx haven't hammered out all the financial details, but Parker said they would have about 90 days and preferred something on Interstate 385.

Minor League officials have said they set the timeframe.

The Bombers' Mozingo said he looked forward to Greenville's venue

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want the AA-league team in Greenville, but I want the West End Ballpark. What are they thinking? The West End site is near dense urban neighborhoods and businesses that make business trips to the ballpark. I also can't imagine Columbia without the Bombers. If they move to Greenville, the AA-league team could move to Columbia. I would like to see the Bombers name and logo stay in Columbia, if that happens.

I want the AA-league team in Greenville, but I want the West End Ballpark. What are they thinking? The West End site is near dense urban neighborhoods and businesses that make business trips to the ballpark. I also can't imagine Columbia without the Bombers. If they move to Greenville, the AA-league team could move to Columbia. I would like to see the Bombers name and logo stay in Columbia, if that happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the Bombers left Columbia b/c they could not come to an stadium agreement with the city. I was initially upset with Coble and USC but once the Bombers left they announced that they would build a new stadium in downtown Greenville free of charge, but they didn't want to do that in the Columbia area so I say good riddence to them! I guess they figured there wasn't enough room in Columbia for USC baseball and the Bombers?

I'd love to see a AA team in Columbia but again since USC athletics is the big dog in town, so it's hard for minor league teams to muscle in on some the action.

Good riddance I say. I've never seen more than 100 people in

the stadium (unless for a concert). I think the mayor really

wanted the team to stay..he definitely has a 'if we build it they

will come' mentality. But USC should not have gone into

business with the Bombers. They wanted too much and

had little to offer. I never saw any projected revenues

back to the city for this investment. I see pro teams

blackmailing cities nationwide for the right to watch them

play. I think municipal funds should be spent where the

public has overriding need to control the enterprise or

some guarantee on return. Show me how businesses

or citizens will benefit if they stay or be hurt/deprived

if they leave.

I don't see why the city should support a team like that when there isnt much attendance to the games. USC has almost any sport anyone could want to watch, and there are always people at the games.

Greenville doesnt have any teams to compete with a city baseball team. Clemson is neutral ground because they arent that convenient to town. Its actually alittle closer to Anderson than Greenville.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a short update from WISTV on the Bombers possible move to G'ville...

Capital City Bombers proposing move to Greenville

(Columbia) Nov. 29, 2004 - Monday afternoon, the Capital City Bombers unveiled their proposal for a new stadium in Greenville.

The $15 million stadium will hold 6,000 fans. If approved, the Bombers say they will pay the entire bill for the stadium.

But two other teams in addition to the Bombers are pitching for the move.

Tuesday night, all three teams will explain their proposals to Greenville County Council.

two other teams? I thought it was just two teams: The Diamond Jaxx and the Bombers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The third team is the Hagerstown Suns, a single A team. The company that owns the Suns is Mandalay Baseball and Entertainment.....they own several minor league teams around the nation including the AAA team in Vegas. Mandalay wants to build a 27 Million stadium (not sure of the exact location yet), that would be big enough to eventually support a AAA team.

Today is the day that all three pitch their ideas to the Greenville COunty COuncil. Yesterday though the group that wants to put the capitol city bomber downtown revealed their stadium plans. Here is the best picture I could find.

3956027_200X150.jpg

We should have much to show after today.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see Greer get the team. But then I must say I am biased. I live in Greer and work the Greer Real Estate Market. Utimatly I think I would like downtown Greenville, but I would be really happy with a Greer team. I just think maulding would be a bad idea.

Brad

This is a decent read, but if your lazy, the summary is that Spartanburg passed its half of the multi-county industrial park ordinace to try to lure the team looking at Greer to our side of the line. One of the sites they are considering is in Spartanburg County. It also talks about Ned Sloan's lawsuit to stop the teams from comming to Greenville or Mauldin.

Spartanburg County goes to bat for baseball

By ROBERT W. DALTON | Staff Writer | The Herald-Jourbal

Spartanburg County is prepared to step to the plate and pass a multi-county industrial park ordinance to lure a minor league baseball team to Greer, County Council Chairman Jeff Horton said Tuesday.

"It's no problem," Horton said. "The land is being examined and we would be happy to do so."

Mandalay Baseball Properties is looking to build a $27.3 million stadium in Greer and move the Class A Hagerstown Suns to the area, possibly by 2006. Mandalay has narrowed its search to three sites, including one across from BMW Manufacturing Corp.'s training and development center on Brockman-McClimon Road in Spartanburg County.

The multi-county industrial park ordinance would allow for the use of future revenue from the stadium to be used to purchase the land and provide the necessary infrastructure.

Horton said the development that the ballpark would spur would be worth the county's investment.

"This would be like BMW in that its offspring would pay dividends in taxes and jobs," he said. "And I'm looking at job creation for this county."

Mandalay is one of three groups vying to claim the territory that came open when the Greenville Braves moved to Pearl, Miss., at the end of this past season. The Capital City Bombers, a Class A Boston Red Sox affiliate in Columbia, want to build a stadium in Greenville's West End. And the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, a Class AA Chicago Cubs affiliate, want to land in Mauldin.

Greenville County passed a multi-county industrial park ordinance Monday night to boost the efforts of Mauldin and Greer.

But Ned Sloan, a longtime Greenville County resident and taxpayer advocate, filed a lawsuit earlier in the day looking to block the move. Immediately after the vote, Sloan's lawyers handed out a temporary restraining order to keep the ordinance from taking effect.

A hearing will be held at 3 p.m. today in Courtroom 2 at the Greenville County Courthouse to determine whether to extend the injunction.

Sloan said he filed the suit to protect Greenville County schools. He said the suit is based on procedural errors made by the Greenville County Council.

"This is a scheme to deny the school district a 20-year stream of revenue that they are entitled to," Sloan said. "I have no interest in baseball and whether it comes or doesn't come."

Greenville County Administrator Joseph Kernell said that the argument could be made that there wouldn't be any development without the tax incentives.

"You've got to look down the road," Kernell said. "Sometimes you have to commit current revenues to entice job creation and things like that."

Kernell said Sloan's lawsuit wouldn't stymie the county's efforts -- at least for now.

"It's in the lawyers' hands now," he said. "Obviously we can't execute anything right now. But we're going to move forward until such time as the court prevents us from moving forward."

Kernell said he's concerned that the contentious situation might force Minor League Baseball -- which will ultimately decide which group gets the franchise -- to look elsewhere.

Greer Mayor Rick Danner agreed.

"I have to think it would be disconcerting," Danner said. "The elected leadership is sending mixed signals and now you've got a citizens' group involved. If I was in on making the decision I'd want some reassurances that I was going to get the deal that I wanted."

Minor League Baseball officials were unavailable for comment. League offices are closed until Thursday because officials were attending baseball's winter meetings in California.

Horton said he's not sure whether Minor League Baseball is aware of the dissension in Greenville County.

"But I hope that they do know that over in Spartanburg County we're working together."

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../412150342/1051

I hope Downtown Greenville gets the team, but if not, I hope it goes to Spartanburg county/Greer. It would serve Greenville County right to lose their chance at a team. It is absolutely incredible how bone-headed the Gville County Council is.

If that council had so much as lifted one finger to help, the Braves (a AA team) would still be in Greenville. Either downtown or at the Point.

Well I'm sorry Mr. Mozingo can't look his wife in the eye but he chose that career. He should look each taxpayer in the eye and say why we should subsidize his stadium. I believe there is a little bit more than a new stadium needed for the Bombers to be successful. I'd like to see the average attendance figures when they were winning and losing over several years time. I've seen no attendance figures in the entire debate (except USC's). But I have seen the scare tactic that Columbia will lose the Bombers.

Last night's news had a report on urban economic impact of baseball stadiums in regards to Washington DC's stadium negotiations. They compared two other city teams, one was successful and one was not. I recall Seattle was not. There should be a quantitative method of measuring the impact of the team and stadium on the local economy so the taxpayer would be able to make an educated decision.

That's classic ;) I'm sure he'll really have a hard time keeping the attendence up now, and telling his wife where they'll be next year. Ahh poor millionaire.

I understand business is business but the kick in the ass is they had the money to build their own stadium, wanted public money handouts, and then complained that attendence in Columbia is too poor to support a team. Well from what I understand at GBraves games attendence there wasn't exactlly stellar there either. What a load of sh :sick: t!

Ah, come on ResearchMan, don't you think saving three jobs and getting back the four that have already been lost is worth $10,000,000? Why that's less than $1.5 million per job. Why must you be so selfish?

Not to mention the fact that Mrs. Mozingo doesn't know whether she will be in Wildewood or Thornblade next year. And private schools limit their enrollment, what if the children don't get registered in time? How can you justify doing that to those children?

The fine folks that brought baseball to a podunk town like Columbia deserve our undying devotion and dollars. Why must McGee and Sorenson be the only pigs at the trough?

Hey vicupstate, I admit to being the local pessimist and apologize for my self-centered behavior. Although I'm not a USC baseball fan I think Mike McGee serves USC well. He is the advocate for the USC sports program and should work to protect and defend it. Let the USC Board and president work out where that program fits in with the community down here. McGee should be politically sensitive to area businesses but he's not the city

Hey vicupstate, I admit to being the local pessimist and apologize for my self-centered behavior. Although I'm not a USC baseball fan I think Mike McGee serves USC well. He is the advocate for the USC sports program and should work to protect and defend it. Let the USC Board and president work out where that program fits in with the community down here. McGee should be politically sensitive to area businesses but he's not the city

I think that USC should lok out for itself. The City should not rely on it, and it should not rely on the city. Why should the university have an interest in maintaining a ficilty for that serves no purpose to it? (Coliseum) It seems to me that USC will have a new stadium with or without the Bombers, and they just missed out on the opportunity.

What irriates me the most about the Bombers is that they weren't about to pay money for their stadium in Cola, but they were going to pay for a new stadium in its entirety in G-vegas. I say screw the Bombers. Most likely the Jaxx will win out anyway. I still want to see the Greer team move in.

Palms wasn't a good president. I have no use for that man. Want to explain to me why he still gets $200k/yr and he does nothing? He is also the one who wanted to break up the USC system, and let the satellites (Spartanburg and Aiken campuses mainly) go free. It irritates me to no end, and so does he. The only thing worthwhile that he did was start the Carolina Center, and maybe West Quad.

Sorenson on the otherhand is doing a damn fine job IMO. He reversed most of Palms's poor decisions, and he is getting stuff done.

Sounds as though the upstate isn't the only place in this state to be having baseball trouble...

My take is that a new stadium, if that is what we are to get, MUST be built in a prominent location such as downtown or in a heavily populated area along I-85 within the city limits. One of the greatest problems with Municipal Stadium is the fact that most Greenville traffic drives near it, but not by it, if you know what I mean. There were several times throughout the history of the local Braves franchise that I would have definitely stopped by and taken in the great atmosphere of a game on a warm summer evening, but never even thought about it since my drive up 85 had no kind of baseball enticement. If I was downtown eating or taking in some kind of outdoor activity or other, the very lights and smells of baseball in the night air would be more than enough to capture my attention for the remainder of the game. Imagine the fireworks being displayed over the Reedy, with all of the downtown crowd looking up to enjoy the dazzling colors and sounds after an awesome home-game. Sends chills down my spine... :rolleyes:

Archived