Will baseball return to Greenville?

Spartan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems the Greenville Bombers might be a one year name.

"...[A] name the team contest will start around the time the season opens. The new team name for the 2006 season will be announced after the 2005 regular season."

There is a poll at the Greenville News website with some suggestions. They range from the 'Base Bandits' to the 'West-Enders.'

This was too good NOT to post. This guy hits the nail on the head.

Letters from readers

Posted Thursday, March 17, 2005

Downtown has been a stunning success

I've read letter after letter criticizing Mayor Knox White's ongoing project to make downtown Greenville an attractive destination. All these voices, raised in horror at the squandering of public money for no good purpose! Surely all these efforts must amount to nothing!

But then I entertain visitors from out of town, and bring them to the Hyatt or the Westin Poinsett, and walk along Main Street, and visit the Mast General Store, and cross the suspension bridge, and see the art galleries, shops and restaurants, and all my guests tell me that Greenville is the most successfully revitalized downtown they have ever seen.

Now I hear that people won't go to baseball games downtown because of "safety." Wow, I didn't realize how courageous my family is! We walk from one end of Main Street to the other, from the Hyatt to the Army surplus store, and beyond, past Greenville High — with impunity, night and day!

I am sorry that some folks will be too frightened to attend baseball games downtown. But my wife and I, and our 6-year-old and 4-year-old, will not hesitate to join other "civic heroes" in walking along well-lit, well-populated city streets to enjoy a summer's evening with our fellow citizens. And, as the game begins, and we sing "...o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave," we will try to ignore the irony.

Christopher Blackwell

Greenville

This was too good NOT to post.  This guy hits the nail on the head.

Letters from readers

Posted Thursday, March 17, 2005

Downtown has been a stunning success

I've read letter after letter criticizing Mayor Knox White's ongoing project to make downtown Greenville an attractive destination. All these voices, raised in horror at the squandering of public money for no good purpose! Surely all these efforts must amount to nothing!

But then I entertain visitors from out of town, and bring them to the Hyatt or the Westin Poinsett, and walk along Main Street, and visit the Mast General Store, and cross the suspension bridge, and see the art galleries, shops and restaurants, and all my guests tell me that Greenville is the most successfully revitalized downtown they have ever seen.

Now I hear that people won't go to baseball games downtown because of "safety." Wow, I didn't realize how courageous my family is! We walk from one end of Main Street to the other, from the Hyatt to the Army surplus store, and beyond, past Greenville High

From what I see in the opinion page in the Greenville News, all of the negativity about the plan to build the stadium is coming from people who dont live in Greenville. Maybe they should visit the West End I know they would be proven wrong. As for those who think the old stadium is "Perfectly Fine" I would like for them to either try to get something from the concession stands during a game or to try to find a dry spot in a rainstorm. Seems to me the people who write these opinions DO NOT know what they're talking about. I live in the West End on Green Avenue and I find the remarks rather insulting. I can walk down my street without fear, day or night it doesn't matter, and I must add I'm a white guy living in a "Black" neighborhood. They need to do their homework before they make stupid comments like that.

There are many negative remarks coming from the people who live in the west end as well. They are lower income and rent and are upset cuase they know that property values will go up and therefor so will rents and they will not longer afford to live there.

• 7 months later...

It seems the Greenville Bombers might be a one year name.

"...[A] name the team contest will start around the time the season opens. The new team name for the 2006 season will be announced after the 2005 regular season."

There is a poll at the Greenville News website with some suggestions. They range from the 'Base Bandits' to the 'West-Enders.'

Reading through old post.....found this funny as it talks about how the Bombers may change their name. Also, click in the link in Spartans post.....it's a grouping of articles in the GV News back when all the hoopla was going on about what team would play here, where they would play, team name, etc.

We've come a long way baby! :D

Archived