Will baseball return to Greenville?

Spartan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville Journal today had a nice article on the Greenville Ball Park, CAP will be doing a mized use development at the park apparently not the park its self. THe Mayor said that they are hoping for a Drug Store and a Grocery store in this development at the ball field.

Isn't this somewhat a bad area they are building in? Wonder how thats going to work out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The immediate area isn't too bad, from what I can see. I go to Church caddy-corner from the site. The appearance of the area could use improving, but it already has been getting better. This will only enhance that trend. There is a more residential area not TOO far away, that is sketchier, but even it has inproved recently, with some drug hot spots being removed.

The West side has always been the more blue-collar, non-glamourous side of Greenville, but this is really more central/west that the westside.

Some people still perceive the area as dangerous because it was in such bad shape, 10-12 years ago. One trip to a game, should change their minds. The FAlls Park is already bringing in crowds nearby.

This project is being used to complete the revitailzation of the West End. Despite the name, West End is really more "south end of Main".

Actually, this is only the "last major piece" in the revitalization, not the final piece. I really think much more work needs to be done to turn the West End into an arts & entertainment destination, as was formerly proposed. A baseball park will surely speed up the revitalization efforts, but a couple of other key components should also be brought into the mix to make everything "complete." :thumbsup: Keep in mind, there are numerous vacant or dilapidated properties throughout the entire West End that almost certainly will become the focus of exciting news spots in the near future. It is my hope that future developers and city council members will never settle for development of the land alone, rather always look for ways to improve on the vision. :)

A columnist for the Greenville News had this piece published in today's paper. I find it rather informative. :)

Stadium to foster urban walking

Posted Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 11:59 pm

Here we are at County Square. Look around. When someone says "parking" in the same breath as "stadium," this is what most people picture. A big giant lot, like at a mall.

We'll learn to recognize other kinds of stadium parking, once baseball moves to Greenville's West End. We'll learn that side streets can be stadium parking. So can single spaces, if you get there first.

We already know about business and office parking lots by going to concerts at the Bi-Lo Center. Guys in reflective vests wave you in and collect your money.

Put all together, there's enough available parking space within one-quarter mile of the downtown stadium site for sellout baseball crowds, according to the parking study a consultant did for the city.

People have a hard time visualizing it. Maybe that's partly because those of us raised on malls are used to seeing the door we want from our parking space.

Urban walking is a leap of faith.

We likely won't be able to see the stadium from the County Square parking lot. But there'll be "signs to direct people from different parts of downtown," city manager Jim Bourey says.

With urban walking it can be hard to judge distances. Something you can't see can be closer or farther than you think.

Let's test it. My watch says 10:17 a.m. Let's walk.

We're crossing Howe Street, heading up Bradshaw, left on Augusta Street. We cross Augusta at the light. That puts us in front of Greenville High.

OK, here we are at Markley Street. Stadium sketches show an entrance here.

Time? I have 10:19 a.m. Surprised? The total distance is about 2-1/2, three at the most, not-very-long blocks.

The provisos: The sidewalks are hardly perfect. And at night, street lamps light the street, not the walkways. There's an awkward incline over old railroad tracks.

Drivers on Augusta, or turning onto Augusta, don't expect to see you in the crosswalk. That'll change.

There are only two crosswalks the entire length of street from the light at Greenville High to the intersection of Augusta with Pendleton.

Remember that $3.5 million the city said it had for landscaping and such? Bourey says the money will be used to fix things like all of the above.

Plus, the team will be running a shuttle that will thread through the district picking up passengers and ferrying them to the stadium gates. People will walk to the stadium from all directions, depending on what street they come in.

Others might drive in early to picnic in the park beside Reedy River Falls, and walk up South Main to the stadium.

From the falls to the stadium? Not even five minutes.

Jeanne Brooks can be reached at (864) 298-4261.

This project is being used to complete the revitailzation of the West End.  Despite the name, West End is really more "south end of Main".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always found that amusing/interesting :)

Its good to know that the city is going to no build a massive parking lot. I didn't think they would ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. There will be all kinds of work going on down there over the next couple of years. This will make for loads of fun watching to learn what will go up around the stadium and RiverPlace. :) People seem to be just now rediscovering that old part of downtown and I say this is absolutely wonderful! I wonder if Carl Scheer will remain interested in developing a mega sports complex with an Ice Palace? The West End would be an ideal location for such a development, and I know just the right property for it; the one available along the Reedy River and bordering Academy Street (U.S. 123), which I've mentioned in the past. :thumbsup:

Does anyone think that GTA will run a "trolley" down main street to connect to the stadium? By trolley I mean a bus that looks like a trolley, but serves the same function. I think it would be useful, particularly if you were a visitor staying at the Hyatt, or eating at one of the restaurants on that end of Main St.

I know that there has been discussion of it. Nto sure if there is any timeframe for it though.

Agreed.  There will be all kinds of work going on down there over the next couple of years.  This will make for loads of fun watching to learn what will go up around the stadium and RiverPlace. :)  People seem to be just now rediscovering that old part of downtown and I say this is absolutely wonderful!  I wonder if Carl Scheer will remain interested in developing a mega sports complex with an Ice Palace?  The West End would be an ideal location for such a development, and I know just the right property for it; the one available along the Reedy River and bordering Academy Street (U.S. 123), which I've mentioned in the past. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That property along 123 and the Reedy River is owened by Reddy River Investments LLC, it is 25+ acres and recently many buildings have been torn down there. I tried to do some research to see what was planned and found an article from 2003 that said they were planning houses. I would have though after all the has happened to Greenville over since 2003 that they would do something extremeley grand something mixed use with not just homes but condos apartments townhouses office and retail. It really is a great site.

That property along 123 and the Reedy River is owened by Reddy River Investments LLC, it is 25+ acres and recently many buildings have been torn down there.  I tried to do some research to see what was planned and found an article from 2003 that said they were planning houses.  I would have though after all the has happened to Greenville over since 2003 that they would do something extremeley grand something mixed use with not just homes but condos apartments townhouses office and retail.  It really is a great site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much of the 25 acres is buildable? Some of it I know is in the flood plain. There was a plan to put the baseball stadium there as well as a relocated zoo. Politics got in the way, but that site is prime for the next "big item" for downtown.

parcel_viewer_ngs_ZS-GISIMS13560355630337.jpg

If you look are the photo, the Reedy River Investment site makes up everything North of Academy St. South of the Reedy River, East of Hudson St. and West of the Academy Street Bridge minus the few parcels between Birnie St. and Academy St.

If you look at the altitudes for the 4ft topo lines, east of Westfield there is only about 4-8 ft in elevation change from the river. On the west side of Westfield there is more elecation change.

I don't know how much of this is in what flood planes weather it be 50 yr 100 yr or what. But maybe some dirt and walls could get them the desired elevation with out having a negative impact on other nearby properties.

Thanks for the Sat-shots Brad. :thumbsup: That gives a good perspective showing the tremendous size and potential of the property. Last time I drove by the site, I saw a couple big "Available" signs posted along Academy, meaning there is a possibility that the previous plans have been scrapped indefinitely. I'd like to see a type of continuation of the "RiverPlace" idea upstream along the river. My ideal concept would be an international village with precisely replicated architechture and imorted wares, similar to Epcot Center in Orlando. I would also love to see the city make it possible to create a family innertubing center along part of the Reedy in downtown. I've seen it work wonders in other places! :)

I would like to see massive condo buildings with park space. Somthing that has the feeling of being at a resort in Hawai'i or the Corribean. Lots of attention to high end gardening, but with plants native to our area, not tropical. And when I saw massive I don't mean tall but many units, sprawling, and I would like it to be mixed use, so I would like the ground levels to be retail. That is my vision.

Thanks! I agree that any development on that property along the river should be mixed-use development. I don't think you can afford to waste such valuable riverfront space by throing up another subdivision. The public should be involved in both the planning and implementation phases. Most would agree with a pedestrian-friendly place, IMO. :)

Does anyone have any info on the greenway system plan for this piece of property? About a year ago, the city was planning to extend the greenway trail that links Cleveland Park, Falls Park and Linky Stone Park. The plan was to extend the greenway both north and south to the city limits. I think that would involve the property in question.

Here is a link to the Master Plan for the Reedy River and its associated parks. This plan talks about how they would like to eventually link Lake Conastee to Traveler's Rest via Greenville along the Reedy River. It would be one giant park. Greenville news just ran an article about linking Falls Park to Nicholtown.

Also plans to link Greenville to Traveler Rest by way of the railroad right of ways in mentioned. I think that has been brought up in the forum before and Greenville News has run numerous articles on it.

Reedy River Master Plan

Funding stream sought to bring river trail to residents

BTW, I can post links to half a dozen other master plans if you all are interested (Hynie-Sirrine, West Greenville, West End, Augusta Rd. and Pleasantburg Drive)

Archived