Jacksonville, FL

bobliocatt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome shots!  Many views I haven't seen before.  Looks like a lot is going on, the riverwalk should be great!  Also, I love the tasteful infill projects of Springfield, they could really be a model for Florida's other great older neighborhoods.  Is there a lot of this occuring?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple of years ago a developer, out of Atlanta, came and purchased most of the vacant lots in Springfield. These type of infill houses are now popping up all over the neighborhood and selling from $190k to $400k. 5 years ago you could easily find lots there for $5k. Now you cant find anything for under $30k -$35k.

I recently contacted a property owner about the possibility of buying his vacant corner lot so I could develop 5 rowhouses on it. I was shocked to find out that his asking price was $160k for the 125' x 70' lot. With its centralized location and historical housing stock, I think Springfield will be right up there with Riverside and San Marco in another 5 to 10 years.

Great photos Lakelander! Thanks for sharing. The angles you use are very imaginative. In particular, the Bank of America shot.

I also agree about Springfield, it is now well past the "will it or won't it make a comeback" stage. In a few years, virtually all of in-town Jax, from Riverside/Avondale/Ortega to San Marco to Springfield will be highly sought after neighborhooods.

^That reminds me, after I snapped the BOA shot, a guy from a cleaning crew in the building, came out and wanted to know if I was from Jax and was I a Muslim. I told him I was a local architect and I wasn't planning to blow anything up. I guess not too many people walk around snapping pics in downtown.

^some people have no shame. I can't believe he said that. Actually I can, while snapping photos of 33 Arch St, a new highrise in Boston, the deskman stormed out demanding my camera. Naturally I told him where to go and then a police officer nearby walked over threateningly and when I asked him what laws I was breaking, he simply turned and walked away. Don't let it stop you!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome pics! There are some really beautiful buildings in Jacksonville.

Jeez, way for that guy to stereotype. I can understand being concerned but he should have just asked if you were a local and what you planned to use the pictures for. I have no problems with people asking me that when I take photos, as they have the right to question. But stereotyping like that is really bad.

Although I am rarely asked what I'm taking pictures of, I had a nasty security guy come out of an office building and demand that I stop taking pictures of another building across the street. I asked why and he said: "Don't question me or you'll be in some big trouble!" I then informed him politely that I was taking pictures for a website I'm planning on creating about Detroit, and I had every right to take pictures of buildings while standing on a public street. The whole time I said this he kept interrupting with "Nope! nope! you can't!" I saw a Detroit patrol car on the corner and I said to him: "Well maybe we can both settle this with the police." At that moment the guy just looked at me and turned around and said "Damn suburban kids." I was about to say "But I don't live in the suburbs!" but I decided to let it go.

There is a sheet of paper you can get from some government website (U.S) that outlines your rights as to what you can take a picture of. In general, as long as you are on public land, like streets, sidewalks, parks, and plazas, you have the right to take photos of anything you like including private property, people, and even hidden areas behind walls and fencing as long as you can see it form the public area where you are standing (i.e. An industrial complex, power plants, treatment plants etc. However, you are not allowed to take pictures of people that would be embarassing to them. I think you can guess what they mean. You also cannot take pictures of places that would pose a hazard to homeland security if information got out. For example, the people who break into the abandoned Michigan Central Station and take photos of the utility tunnel to Windsor, Ontario could get in huge trouble. I see some of them posted on the net. That place is protected by homeland security.

Also realize, that the rule about taking photos of private property, on priavte property is rather loose. I went into the Compuware HQ two Friday's ago to take picture of their atrium. It was obvious that they did not care how many pictures I took of their headquarters. Many office buildings that present themselves as city icons allow you take photos of publicly accessible areas. But if you are standing in someones office on the 15th floor, that is a different story.

Great pics! I love all those historic buildings. :)

I always carry the photographer's right with me whenever I'm out taking photos. Fortunately I have not needed to use it yet. I have only run into a few problems so far. Some security guard insisted that I could not take a photo of this skyscraper downtown. However, I was standing on a public sidewalk, so there wasn't much he could do about it. I have been yelled at for taking photos of the lobby in the Penobscot Building, which was understandable, since it is private property. I have also been yelled at for taking photos of some houses in Boston Edison. But again, I was standing on a public sidewalk, so I continued taking photos, and in fact, I took more than I would have had the lady not stopped to yell at me. LOL.

Archived