Detroit from the Kales Building

Allan

Welcome to the forum, Detroitfan.

I realize that the Statler is a lost cause. The city could cough up $40 Million to close the gap, but then they would have to stop providing assistance on all the other downtown redevelopment projects like the Book Cadillac, Lafayette, etc.

The problem I have is that the city has not gone to developers to ask for proposals for a new building before demolishing the Statler. I have a feeling that the Statler site is going to sit there empty for 40 years or more. Look at the Kern Block. It stood vacant for nearly 40 years, and it is in the heart of downtown! The city can't even get Campus Martius developed, so I just can't see them getting the Statler site redeveloped. Campus Martius is a much more desirable location, yet they can't even get that developed!

I'd rather have the Statler hang around until the city actually finds a developer who has plans for the site. Loose the Statler and you tear another massive hole in the city's urban fabric. The city cannot afford to loose any more density downtown. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "Soon Detroit will be nothing more than a suburb with history."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the building will create a major major scar on Grand Circus Park, but even then it still makes sense to tear it down now. The city will be paying insurance on the building until a developer is found. Whoever develops the site will then have to cover the demo cost making the project that much more expensive. Or the state can pay for it and the city and future developer wins.

Wasting money to keep this building up is as bad as the DDA giving that slumlord Illitch $700,000 to demo the Madison-Lenox for parking lot.

I've never really thought of it that way before. I realize that it has to be done, but I don't think anyone could ever convince me that tearing down the Statler would have any positive effects. I don't know...maybe it's because I know they will throw up some crappy, poorly designed building. What ever happened to real architecture?

Archived