Barry Sanders Project to Reopen Soon!

wolverine

• 2 months later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be updating when I get 3ds back on my system. It has been sent in for some upgrades. I hope to start working again on Hudsons.

As for some GR buildings, I think someone had planned to do the Grand Amway Hotel..whole complex. The back would be easy, but the front would be kind of hard. Allan is doing the Statler, which is kind of similar somewhat in architectural styles to the front. Maybe he'll get good at it and take on that project.

• 5 months later...

Simtropolis member JasonCW has completed the free press building and the Vinton building in downtown Detroit. He may be working on the Penobscot building next. Check out his work at simtropolis. You may have to look under the thread "Jason's BAT Projects" I'd post a link, but their site isn't loading for me right now.

Simtropolis member JasonCW has completed the free press building and the Vinton building in downtown Detroit. He may be working on the Penobscot building next. Check out his work at simtropolis. You may have to look under the thread "Jason's BAT Projects" I'd post a link, but their site isn't loading for me right now.

This is great for BSP!!!!! I can't find his BATs. Can you get the link now?

Yea, the Free Press is done, except for the in-game stats and the lot. The person who does that doesn't have the internet with his Sim City computer, or something like that, but I sent him a pm about it to see if his internet will be restored soon.

Most of the Vinton Building (cities 69th tallest!) is done, but the very bottom isn't. I'm not sure what the redevelopers are going to do with it. Does anyone know? If not I'll just use some imagination. It's funny how big the building looks in real life, but how tiny it is in Sim City. The little building on the top needs to be rescaled since it's too big, but that won't take long.

fisk32dx.jpg

A picture of the Vinton (far right) with two other buildings I'm working on for Sim City.

dfppreview2kw.jpg

The Free Press.

The Penobscot might be next. With some pre-planning on how to model the details I'm hoping that I can do it efficiently enough that my computer can handle it without too much lag. If that doesn't work I'll just do more smaller buildings, maybe the opera house or something like that. If the Penobscot works out, then I might do the Guardian.

And Wolverine, I don't think I told you what I decided, but I'm going to Eastern for pre-architecture, then to Michigan. I'm practicing my "Go Blue!"s :)

12 floors is tall for the cities I've managed to create so far. I have yet to figure out that thing called the budget. :P
LOL. I always thought the budget in SC3k & SC4 was a piece of cake, especially when compared to previous versions of the game.

This reminds me, I was working on a BAT for the BSP. I need to dust off the Statler Hotel files soon....

The Vinton Building is being used for residential with groundfloor retail. That is one thing the game needs, mixed-use structures.

Especially considering how common mixed-use buildings are becoming in the modern city. A lot of residential buildings have ground floor retail, especially if they are on or near the cities main shopping streets.

Mixed use buildings are impossible in any practical way in the game, but there will probably be both a commercial and residental version. There won't be a ploppable residental though, since they don't work either.

Yea, I thought the budgets are really easy too. I'm ussualy a few thousand in the plus, and most of my cities never go in the red. The origonal Sim City on the other hand... lol, that one's tough.

And yea, finish up that Statler. I've been thinking on how to build downtown in the game. So far I have the space between Jefferson, Woodward, Lafayette, and Cass gridded out. The Statler is in such a funny space, that at best it would fit in the corner of two diagonal roads. It's so much of a mess that I'm not sure if it's worth trying to make that part of town fit together.

There's this new game coming out called City Life, and in that it looks like there are more road options (instead of 90 or 45 degrees, there are more), and the buildings themselves align with the roads. I'm not sure what kind of custom content support it has, but it would be alot nicer to the cities layout than Sim City.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

onewoodwardpreview59wn.jpg

Well, Simtropolis is down, so I'll post it here and hopefully someone will stumble across it. :)

One Woodward Avenue. So far the window texture (except for the base), and the white texture is done. I'm still going to add a little bit more stuff on the roof, and I'm going to add some vents to the big blank box at the top (next to the fans). Everything except for the glass and white still needs to be textured.

Archived