Yep. You should see the Cockabooses appraised value. I think they appraised

for $45,000 each and all are basically Winnebagos made in 1950. Richland Co

has a building classification for each type of buiilding and the lowest code is

for Cockabooses. I wrote a web interface to all their parcel data and while

testing did hundreds of searches for the Cock-A-Booses! USC Educ. foundation

developed these. A stroke of genius! Good for the county tax base too. 6000

sq ft appraised at almost $1 million.

I think it will work.

The condo guy (Spillers) is missing the point. In Columbia it doesn't matter if the condos are located in an industrial area the point is that its close to the stadium. You can build luxury condos in Irmo and say they are USC tailgating condos but that kinda of defeats the purpose of having built them. Besides wouldn't you think that if I build luxury condos here this could change the developments in that area?

Here is a simple idea on relocating the farmers market. Take the market and move

to the intersection of the beltway and I-26. Renovate the buildings at the farmers

market and sell/lease to Gamecock fans. There is plenty of space for people and

parking. Give the place a sporty name like 'Gamecock Farms'. Take the profit

and use to build the new farmers market. The farmer's market land is valuable only

because of proximity to the stadium. If you can make up enough in new property

tax Richland may not fight so hard to keep the jobs and market here.

What do you guys think?

• 10 months later...

they have finally broken the ice, and the condos are being constructed now. i think this is going to open up doors for more residential condo's in that area. it's just how the vista started out, as old ware house buildings. i hear there putting up 3 high rise condos. maybe the developments might turn more developers to look at the area, going towards bluff rd. i think that area needs more developments like these

That is correct. There are 3 condo developments now being built within a stone's throw of Williams-Brice Stadium. The tallest, Carolina Walk, will be 9 stories, the second, The Spur, will be 6 or 7 stories and the 3rd, Stadium Village Lofts, is a 2 story development where the warehouses are currently located on Berea Drive. Hopefully, this is only the tip of the iceberg for development around the stadium.

main_center.jpg

1107529000_427935842.jpg

Stadium Village Lofts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I do not read the Columbia section often, so maybe I am repeating nothing new. But I got an email announcing Carolina Walk has started sales, and Steve Spurrier will be living there.

see Carolina Walk website

Stadium_bgd_render.jpg

Yeah, they're maybe half way through the construction of that. Steve Spurrier will own a unit in there, but will not "live" there...he has a huge house on a golf course and lake in northeast Columbia. Probably just wants somewhere to sleep near the stadium on those late nights.

I forgot to get to the stadium area last time I was in Columbia to check out the progress. I'll have to make it down there next time.

I drove by there last night, the spur is up to the 6th floor and Carolina Walk is up to the 7th floor on 1 end. Both projects are actually a pretty decent size with Carolina Walk a fairly sizable complex.

Compare now with when Williams Brice Stadium was built in 1934. That isn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

wb1934.jpg

wbs1949b.jpg

It really will be. That's good, because hopefully that will extend downtown's influence through the mill villages down to the stadium area. It would be cool to see a mini-skyline emerge down that way.

Cool pics, Matt. When the old farmer's market land gets developed, then we'll REALLY see that area begin to shine.

It really will be. That's good, because hopefully that will extend downtown's influence through the mill villages down to the stadium area. It would be cool to see a mini-skyline emerge down that way.

Cool pics, Matt. When the old farmer's market land gets developed, then we'll REALLY see that area begin to shine.

I guess we have to wait another couple of years for that to happen. That area will be totally different in less than 10 years.

Archived