Nationals Stadium

yochillout

We citizens who live near the stadium are holding our collective breaths to see what effect the traffic and and the crowds will have on nearby neighborhood streets. Yesterday, I recieved a special visitor parking permit for game days. It now seems that with the arrival of the new stadium our daily routine on game days will change. Such things as when we can drive our cars and take metro to avoid crushing crowds. I was never in favor of spending 611 million of taxpayer money on this thing and now that game day is approaching I am more opposed. Well I guess it is too late to complain now. PLAY BALL!!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There are many failures in the design of the new stadium. I have not harped on them or discussed them too much because I still would like to believe that there is some good associated with this project. To believe otherwise might remind me of the $600,000,000 or so of tax money which has been given away by the District to fund the project. Yes, it is probably a good thing in many repects, but it is an absolutely unremarkable building. I have seen better looking airline lounges.

• 3 weeks later...
We citizens who live near the stadium are holding our collective breaths to see what effect the traffic and and the crowds will have on nearby neighborhood streets. Yesterday, I recieved a special visitor parking permit for game days. It now seems that with the arrival of the new stadium our daily routine on game days will change. Such things as when we can drive our cars and take metro to avoid crushing crowds. I was never in favor of spending 611 million of taxpayer money on this thing and now that game day is approaching I am more opposed. Well I guess it is too late to complain now. PLAY BALL!!!!

Ok, so we've had, what, a month of baseball or more? How's it going down there? Are there problems with parking/noise/traffic/litter? How about an update from someone living down there!

Full disclosure: i'm going this afternoon but I'm taking a bus with a group and i promise not to drop any litter in the neighborhood.

Oh and hey everyone. Just moved down from the RI Forum.

Funny to see another Rhode Islander make the move to the DC Area. I will be going to the ball park for the first time on May 23rd and again May 24th to see them play the brewers.

Also, welcome jen, hope you can make some great contributions like you have done in the RI forums.

Welcome to the DC forum Jen! We need livening up around these parts....Did you enjoy the game? I have yet to see the new stadium, though I have friends who have been. Most seem to say that the place is a bit sterile, but perhaps this may change over time. I just wish that such an expensive project could have had more of an architectural presence.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the blandness of the stadium was, in part, due to the fear that such a complex would dwarf anything else in the area...A few things the stadium needs: More stuff! on the ramps going up to the seats, there's nothing on the walls. At US Cellular in Chicago, there is all kinds of silhouette art, "Grinderball Rules" etc. Even the ramps are part of the stadium, they need not seem like a mall or airport parking garage.

Let's see if we can liven up these forums, huh? With the RI Touch?

I was at the game last night and while the stadium still seems a little sterile in design and execution, i was thrilled to see green roofs above the food concessions, and trees (cherry of course) planted INSIDE the concourse of the stadium.

Camden Yards is a great example of a stadium which actually blends into its surrounding community instead of spurning it. I haven't been to Canden Yards either, but all reports I've had have been good. If the new Nats stadium had been built in a way which would have encouraged development nearby, this would have been a plus. It does not appear to have been designed with much of an urban purpose other than unto itself.

Camden Yards is a great example of a stadium which actually blends into its surrounding community instead of spurning it. I haven't been to Canden Yards either, but all reports I've had have been good. If the new Nats stadium had been built in a way which would have encouraged development nearby, this would have been a plus. It does not appear to have been designed with much of an urban purpose other than unto itself.

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, Nationals Stadium sort of stands alone and seems disconnected from the surrounding community. The portion of the stadium facing South Capitol St. should have had retail/restaurants in order to draw people from the surrounding neighborhoods and to make it more welcoming. I think it is possible to add a retail element to the stadium very similar to the first floor of Verizon Center.

The stadium was, of course, touted as a generating force for the wholesale redevelopment of the area. We may be seeing some new development in the area around the stadium, but much of this property is still tied up in litigation and/or pwners who have not made any decisions about how to develop said property. Shops and restaurants in the area would be a start, but would require additional residents and businesses in order to work. The current market downturn may delay this somewhat, but the area should eventually benefit.

The stadium was, of course, touted as a generating force for the wholesale redevelopment of the area. We may be seeing some new development in the area around the stadium, but much of this property is still tied up in litigation and/or pwners who have not made any decisions about how to develop said property. Shops and restaurants in the area would be a start, but would require additional residents and businesses in order to work. The current market downturn may delay this somewhat, but the area should eventually benefit.

As long as the surrounding properties are not turned into surface parking lots, I can see in the near future that there will be some development there. But these things take time, and being patient is probably the order of the day. If the Nats have a pretty good season I would imagine that redevelopment would happen sooner rather than later, regardless of the market. I know people say that the stadium is expensive to visit, but having been to a lot of other stadiums, I can tell you that this one isn't as bad as others. Just try getting in and out of Fenway cheap. My $12 seats at Nats are some of the best seats i've ever been in.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the Nats/Brewers game tonight. I love the park it is a little sterile, but its got a nice feel to it. I think the setup was great as far as getting in and out. Our seats we couldn't see the capital or the monument. Also, the only problem I had for a brand new stadium were the seats. About half of them didn't face home making you look in random places in the park. I had a decent seat that wasn't effected, but along both lines and some outfield seats you were looking no where near homeplate. Overall its a decent park. It has no special perks (maybe the kids center with all the games) and the ambience isn't great. You feel like you are fairly close, but not right up in the game and just nothing overly special. Good park for a few games a year though.

Archived