Mural To Be Covered?

SNWEB

According to Channel 4,

the city council and building owner approved draping the mural that Wyland created for the city.

Painting over the mural is not allowed/illegal but draping is fine. It will feature a GM add.

They did an interview with Wyland and he is a tad pissed and said he is gonna fight it.

Higgings is doing it for the $$$!

When this will be done is unknown

det188.JPG

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A massive GM advertisment. I'm not sure which is worse, the whales or a GM advertisement.

How about a sports-related mural? That would be a good fit for the area, since it is adjacent to the stadium district. Although then it wouldn't be lining Higgins' pockets with money.

why did they paint it in the first place. with whales of all things

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

see the "Broderick Tower to be Renovated?" thread.

Personally, I don't like this. But if the money goes to renovating the building instead of the owner's pockets, then I could live with it.

But if the money goes to renovating the building instead of the owner's pockets, then I could live with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to hear that from the owner himself. Me thinks he'll just pocket it and laugh all the way to the bank. Time will tell.....

Should I fear my view of Steve Yzerman from my desk will soon be replaced by a Ford Excursion add?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I didn't hear anything about where the money would go. I would hope they would put some stipulations on these that the money has to be reinvested in the fixing up downtown, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I really like what GM has done to the Ren Cen, and for Detroit, but I don't think this is needed.

On another note, the building is abandonded, so who's to say that all 4 sides of this building couldn't be covered up? Yeah, I know that won't probably happen, but then again this is Detroit.

Yeah, the Cadillac Tower wall is another one that I could see being covered up with another billboard. I'm really surprised someone hasn't tried to do something like that for the grand opening of the C-Mart.

My objection to the mural is that it's so damn ugly and really isn't relevant to anything Detroit. I could see a mural like that on a smaller building, which would probably look pretty good, but not on something as tall as the Broderick. Still, I'm opposed to the GM ad unless the funds go to rehabilitating the structure.

My fear is that the money Higgins makes off this will line his pockets, instead of going towards the buildings renovation.

"Our group has an architect working on the design, and we are arranging financing, including historic tax credits, and working with the city for approvals. If things go 100 percent as we would like, I anticipate construction could start within nine months to a year." - 07/08/02

"We do plan to renovate both [the Farwell and the Broderick] into apartments and commercial space." - 02/16/04

"In the coming weeks, Higgins said he plans to announce a renovation of the 34-story Broderick into 100 loft apartments on the upper floors...'We're also looking at redoing a one-story building next door (to the Broderick) into a gourmet market and putting 60 lofts into the Farwell Building (on Shelby overlooking Capitol Park).'" - 10/03/04

Ok, I'll believe a Broderick Renovation when I see a construction elevator and a trash chute in the building, as well as advertisments for the apartments, complete with a phone number, prices, and the date they will be available.

Archived