Campus Martius Grand Opening

Brother Ray

I'm thinking about staying after work next Friday for the Grand Opening of Campus Martius. Anyone interested in meeting up for the event? If so I can try to schedule a mini tour of the Compuware Building (Visitor Center on 8th floor and Balcony on the top floor). I need to clarify with security first before I can commit to this. However, it would be nice to have an idea who, if anyone, would want to go to the event. Thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know quite a few people said they are planning on going down early. I plan on going but unfortunately for me, I don't get out of work (in Troy) until 5, then have to drive home to Livonia, then to downtown. By the time I park and get there, it probably won't be until 6:30.

The tour of the Compuware building sounds like a good time. Thanks for going through the effort of setting this up. I see too many buildings from the outside and not the inside!

My thought is that not everyone can make it downtown by the opening, which is at 5pm. I'm thinking we can meet inside the CPWR Building at 5:30 or 6:00pm in the coffee shop (The Blend) after walking the grounds a bit. After meeting we can (hopefully, I have not confirmed yet) head upstairs for an aireal view of the festivities before heading back to the cold.

Looks like I can get 4 or 5 people into the CPWR building for a tour. I must stick to the 5:30 start time which some of you have noted as a problem. Sorry for the inconvenience folks.

From what I've read above, it looks like three have confirmed so far. Please send me a private message with your FULL NAME and a valid e-mail addy so we can communicate off-line. I must put you on the guest list in advance. You will receive a security badge at the time of your registration. Also, if you are part of this tour, you will be able to park in the CPWR parking deck for free since all visitors get their parking tickets validated. Cool, eh?

Comitted so far:

Allan

wolverine

Mojo

Tenative:

ebaldy

SaveTheStatler.Com

Aaron

Thanks,

Ray

Triffic Info:

Woodward Avenue around the park would be closed Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday to accommodate a number of food, vendor and entertainment tents. Here is the latest information on street closures:

Beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, November 19 through Sunday evening, November 21 at 9:00 pm, southbound Woodward traffic will be diverted onto State Street. Northbound Woodward traffic will be diverted onto Larned (eastbound) or Congress (westbound). Westbound Monroe traffic will be diverted at Farmer street and eastbound Michigan Avenue traffic will be diverted onto Griswold. If all of that means anything at all to you, you probably didn't need the help anyway. :wacko:

Here is the schedule for Friday night's events:

Opening Night Schedule - Friday, November 19th

A Warm and Welcoming "Wassail" Tent with Food and Drinks

Holiday Shopping Tent featuring: Pewabic Pottery, Pure Detroit and Campus Martius Park

Carriage Rides, Ice Sculpting Demonstrations, and Guided Tours of Historic Downtown Buildings and Districts

5:00 PM Activities, Skating Demonstrations, and Entertainment

6:00 PM Campus Martius Park Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

7:30 - 9:00 PM WXYZ TV Special Live from Campus Martius Park

8:40 PM Lighting of Detroit's Holiday Tree Presented by DTE Energy

Performance Schedule:

5:00 - 5:15pm Cass Tech High School Marching Band

5:15 - 5:30pm Onyx Skating Academy Exhibition - Rochester, MI

5:30 - 6:00pm Arts Academy in the Woods Brass Choir

6:15 - 6:45pm Salvation Army Band

6:45 - 7:00pm 2nd Ebenezer Baptist Church Mass Choir

7:00 - 7:15pm Detroit Hockey Association Mini Mite Game

7:15 - 7:20 Marcus Belgrave & Steve Carryer

7:25 - 7:53pm LaShell Griffin & Voice of Faith Choir

7:53 - 8:32pm OPENING NIGHT SKATING EXTRAVAGANZA featurting the ARTIC FIGURE SKATING CLUB, starring US National Ice Dancing Champions, Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto with special guest ALTO REED

8:40 - 9:00pm Paul King & the Rhythm Society Orchestra

Strolling Performances including Lions' Roary, Tigers' Paws and Parade Co. Clownie, DTE's Louie

I see that there will be "Guided Tours of Historic Downtown Buildings and Districts". Does anyone know who is doing these tours? The only kind of these tours that I know about are the Preservation Wayne tours.

Hopefully the rain will let up and I'll see everyone tonight.

Ray, how long do you think the Compuware stuff will last? Just wondering when and where I'll meet up with you guys.

I see that there will be "Guided Tours of Historic Downtown Buildings and Districts".  Does anyone know who is doing these tours?  The only kind of these tours that I know about are the Preservation Wayne tours.

Hopefully the rain will let up and I'll see everyone tonight. 

Ray, how long do you think the Compuware stuff will last?  Just wondering when and where I'll meet up with you guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect we will be done by 6pm, maybe 6:15. Do you have cell phone numbers to reach anyone? If the weather stays the same (just came in from the freezing rain) I will not stay beyond the tour.

- BR

The meet was great! It was so nice to see people just wandering around enjoying being in the heart of the city. The rain seemed not to deter anyone. The fog and rain made for some interesting photos. The park is beautiful, and should be a great place to relax.

Ray - I can't thank you enough for the tour of the Compuware Building! Now that I've seen the entire thing, I can say that I am truly impressed. Prior to tonight I had only been in the lobby and Hard Rock Cafe. It is an amazing structure. On the outside it looks just like another office building, but the inside is a completely different story! The company really went the extra mile with the building. And the views from the balcony are awesome!

Sorry I missed you all for the get together before C-mart opened, I was driving back in town. I am really pleased with the way C-mart has turned out, and I'm really thinking the economical impact for this park is going to be positive :thumbsup: . People from the city, and suburbs alike are willing to support this place. Can't wait to buy my ice skates and try to learn to skate again. I heard the official start of the skating (due to the rainy weather) is going to be on Wednesday, and I think it'll probably be packed. :thumbsup:

Ray told us to keep our eye out for you, Mojo, but we never did see you. We should definately try to have a Detroit forum meet again in the future. It is starting to get cold, so it will probably have to wait. I am looking into giving Preservation Wayne tours next year, so maybe that can help us get up to the roof of the Penobscot sometime next year.

I'm pretty sure I am going to join preservation wayne and give tours too!  If I remember correctly, they were also involved in cleaning out the interior of the National Theater, so they do more than give tours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I definately plan on giving the tours. It's time to share my knowledge. LOL, I know too much about the city. I even have a bunch of building heights memorized!

According to PW's site, they are having another tour:

Preservation Wayne will be giving a Cultural Center tour as part of the Park Shelton Open House on November 29th. In addition to the regular tour highlights, this tour will include a chance to see some of the renovations done to the Park Shelton.

I won't be going, as it is on the Monday after Thanksgiving. Unless they have the date wrong. Does it seem odd that the open house for the Park Shelton is on a Monday? Open houses are usually on Sundays. Hmmm.....

Had the pleasure of going to C-mart again on Sunday afternoon, and it seems like this could be a real regional draw. There were several people there with ice skates hoping to get on the rink. Even though the rink is closed (until Wednesday) everybody was still hanging around the area, and enjoying the bands who played in the tent. It looked like businesses in the immediate area were benifiting from the park too. Borders, and Hard rock were both full of people when I went. I only hope this type of momentum can keep going.

It looked like businesses in the immediate area were benifiting from the park too.  Borders, and Hard rock were both full of people when I went.  I only hope this type of momentum can keep going.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spoke to the owners of of The Blend, the coffee shop located inside the Compuware Building. They said business was nuts all weekend long until close each night at 10pm. I'm sure they are very happy about Campus Martius opening up!!!

Archived