New Greenville developments

gs3

A few weeks ago I saw a huge white house at Park and Townes being torn down.  I now know what is replacing it.  Called West Park & Townes Click here to learn more

BTW I saw that they are tearing down the Sheerwood Apratments near Cleavland Park next to the airplace, anybody know what is going on there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that sign today myself. I was about to post it, but you beat me to it. These units must be pretty expensive, each building has an elevator.

In the Journal, there is a small reference in an ad in the homes section that must be what you are referring to near Cleveland Park. The ad is for realtor Debi Garrison and this is the info:

New Construction! Renaissance at the Falls

We are proud to announce that reservations are now being accepted for the most exciting residential development in the city. Renaissance at the Falls is a proposed 42-unit luxury condominium developing overlooking Cleveland Park in the heart of Greenville's finest neighborhood. Contact us and experience the perfect harmony of a park-front unit just minutes by foot to downtown. 630-8334

New Construction! Renaissance at the Falls

We are proud to announce that reservations are now being accepted for the most exciting residential development in the city. Renaissance at the Falls is a proposed 42-unit luxury condominium developing overlooking Cleveland Park in the heart of Greenville's finest neighborhood. Contact us and experience the perfect harmony of a park-front unit just minutes by foot to downtown. 630-8334

Oh cool, I am having to try to find out some info on this. Does any one have any rederings yet?

Does anyone know when work is supposed to begin on any of the towers proposed in downtown g-ville? Impatient I guess, just want to see something happening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There should be groundbreaking taking place sometome this Spring. I haven't heard of any exact dates yet, but The Pinnacle on Main will most likely be first, with Camperdown Condominiums to follow. Others should begin to show up later this year, we hope. :)

BTW, I've been incredibly swamped with work this week and really haven't had any time to post (deadlines seem to make life miserable). I anticipate posting more in April though. :thumbsup:

I think I'm in agreement with everyone else who speaks of the necessity of mixed use development. That is of course one of the trademarks of urban living. I try to drive downtown as often as I can because the scenery changes almost daily. The last few times I've been downtown I've noticed lots of new retail space opportunities (street level of the Bookends and Poinsett Corners). However, while downtown I have also notice the extreme lack of parking. I want these retail spaces to fill up as much as everyone else, but I don't see big name retailers like Borders Books, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, etc. locating downtown without and abundance of FREE parking. I know that some of the garages are free on weekends but I don't think that is going to be acceptable for big name or big box retailers. People don't mind paying $5.00 or whatever to park downtown Atlanta, but let's face it, Greenville is not downtown Atlanta. For the most part, people here (with the exception of all of us and a few others) are not going to pay to park just to shop at Mast General Store or O.P. Taylors. I'd like to see some big names fill these shops but Greenville needs to make it worth their time and effort or we're going to end up with stores like Pink Azalea and Quizno's on every corner. I'm not knocking the small businesses but if the city wants downtown to prosper they need an upscale mix or people are just going to continue to shop at Haywood or Greenridge.

Point being...if dowtown wants the traffic, they are going to have to accomodate with places to park. Weather does not always permit to walk from the West End to Soby's for dinner, and there are so many lots that are always empty yet have sign posted DO NO PARK. Do the expect people to fly into Main Street??? What can be done to help this???

I've got to rant. I've been thinking about the major difference in attitudes in Greenville, and I think that the city and close by urban area will continue to develop vertically and liberally. What I mean by this, is that Mauldin, Simpsonville, and the like will continue to overrun cow pastures, while the city will truly be something to marvel at, with a mix of all types of people and types of architecture,and finally be on the map of something other than a manufacturing mecca. I saw a picture of Tower City Center in Cleveland, OH, and how its a striking shopping mall and in the center, down one level, is a rapid transit station. Note the first example here:

Tower City

Anyways, have something like that downtown where we can put the theater and a Borders, and some other high end retail that isn't chain. What would be awesome is to do that like the Peachtree Center in Atlanta, or like Copley/Prudential in Boston. Urban shopping is an expierience that even in an indoor mall, is something cool. This type of development is something that we could use to expand downtown laterally. And eventually with a possibility for light rail, have a station complex in the middle of the development. I can already imagine how much money could be made out of all of this. We've got the residential part of the equation, what about the livability part?

When I click the "Tower City", all I get is the MAD magazine guy, Alfred or whatever his name is.

I think that ALL the city garages (not just the Richardson St. one) should have free parking on the weekends, unless Fall for Greenville or some other MAJOR event is going on. That would resolve the situation. Personally, I never have a problem parking downtown as long as I don't insist on parking directly on Main St.

Point being...if dowtown wants the traffic, they are going to have to accomodate with places to park.  Weather does not always permit to walk from the West End to Soby's for dinner, and there are so many lots that are always empty yet have sign posted DO NO PARK.  Do the expect people to fly into Main Street???  What can be done to help this???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two garages one block from Main St that you could use. I think they are something like 50

Here is my idea for a trolley loop on Main St.

002.jpg

c44.jpg

I really don't think it would be that hard to build. If you take the cars off of Main between College St and McBee, and put wider sidewalks, along with benchs, etc, where the parking used to be, I'd go out on a limb and venture to say that'd be a quality of life investment, not to mention how many more people would be inclined to come downtown. I could see the signs, park at Spring St or Richardson St, and the "To All Trains/Riverplace Stadium >" Just some wishful dreaming. But I'm more inclined to think that it would work, than not. Plus it would spur even more development too.

All the people at RiverPlace can hop the train to work or to shop, and tourists could use it too.