New Greenville developments

gs3

I'm really curious to see what the city has in mind for the West Washington area. After the Post Office on the corner of Washington @ Hudson, its a really sketchy area, one that I don't even like going into. Anyways, Amtrak is all the way at the end, and between there, I'm eagar to see what gets placed. I play imagine, and maybe see residential high rises (7-12 floors), and some more development not unlike the West End district. That would expland downtown out of a more north-south design, to a north-south/east-west alignment. I've dreamed of a having a type of transit-oriented-development, without the transit right now. Having the residential with a shopping district and not having to drive to get somewhere would be friggin' sweet, and having it downtown would be even better. What does everyone else think?

The Fine Arts Center center is a School. It is public, part of the Greenville COunty School District. It is for highschoolers mainly 10-12 Grade who excel at the fine arts. Drawing, Painting, Pottery, Photography, Metals, Guitar, Music, Dance, Writing, Singing, etc.

You only go part of the day and the rest of the day is spent at your home school.

I went my 12th Grade year for Metals and Photography. I would get to Riverside in Greer for one class, then I would drive Downtown to the Fine Arts Center, then I would Drive back to Riverside to finish the day. Some schools did have a bus that would go back and forth, mine did not.

To get to its current location you would go to the end of washington and turn left then follow that road around under the rail road tracks and the school would be there on the left. It is housed in an old all Black Elementary school.

The new location will be on the Campus of the new Wade Hampton High School being built next to where the Bijou (sp?) Cinemas used to be.

Maybe this is on the right track?  Seems there is interest in a trolley system throughout downtown. :)

You can read more at:  The Greenville Trolley Project

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great site! That was the survey I took on July 4th this yeay. I didn't realize it came from these people. That is good to know.

Land is currently being cleared for future development on the large 2-tract (I think)property along the Reedy River, next to U.S. 123 on the west. At one time this was a very hotly discussed piece, where the original master-planners wanted to build a ballpark, zoo, park, or major shopping and entertainment district. You can be sure several developers have their eye on that one, since it is currently available (something hard to find downtown today).

Other sites for possible development in the near-future are:

The block on Main where the old vacant Woolworth building stands.

The property on Main and McBee left empty by the recent relocation of Kimbrells furniture store, and the demolition of an old tire & and auto service station.

There are several other sites which may be discussed as targets for new development, but I'll leave it at that for now. :)

Land is currently being cleared for future development on the large 2-tract (I think)property along the Reedy River, next to U.S. 123 on the west.  At one time this was a very hotly discussed piece, where the original master-planners wanted to build a ballpark, zoo, park, or major shopping and entertainment district.  You can be sure several developers have their eye on that one, since it is currently available (something hard to find downtown today).

Other sites for possible development in the near-future are:

The block on Main where the old vacant Woolworth building stands.

The property on Main and McBee left empty by the recent relocation of Kimbrells furniture store, and the demolition of an old tire & and auto service station.

There are several other sites which may be discussed as targets for new development, but I'll leave it at that for now. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the site you mention near 123 will be the site of The Camperdown, the 12 story condo building to be started next year.

As for the Woolworth's building, apparently a few times owners have died intestate and the buildings onwership has been split many times. I had heard it had like 30+ owners and that has amde it hard for developers to buy it. Last I heard the city was trying to buy all the interests in it.

Also, the site at Main and McBee where Kimbrell's was, I have heard rumors of a Movie theater, but they were just rumors. Greenville needs more screens and Downtown would be a great location.

Brad

Actually, the site I was referring to off of US highway 123 is close to, but not the same site of the Camperdown condos. This piece is much larger in size than the property next to Linky Stone Park, where the 12-story building is being planned.

I totally agree that Greenville needs more screens, and I would add that larger screens would also be nice (not necessary, though). I hope these rumors become a reality soon! :)

Actually, the site I was referring to off of US highway 123 is close to, but not the same site of the Camperdown condos.

If anyone wants to visit the site of the future Camperdown condominium building, just take Reedy View St. from River St. You'll pass under the bridge (US 123), and then the site is directly on the left. There is a sign of the former rendering still standing on the property. :)

Below is an article from this morning's greenville news about the Bank of America buildings. Recently John Boyd of Boyd Corp and TIC Properties purchased the building and they have plans to revitalize it. THey want to tear down 40% of ther parking garage, that would be the part near Washington street and add four new buildings and the remaining 60% of the garage which is at the base of the BofA building will be converted to Office Space. Also a new entrance will be created on Wasington, current entrance is in the Piazza. A renovation of the building will be done as well. I think this is great, I always thought that was an ugly parking Garage. They had renderings in the paper but not online, i will see if I can scan it at work and get it postedl.

Greenville parking space to become office space

Posted Tuesday, January 4, 2005 - 8:48 pm

By David Dykes

BUSINESS WRITER

[email protected]

Local investors have bought the Bank of America building in the heart of Greenville's central business district, with plans to convert an adjoining parking deck into office space and create a new lobby and courtyard entrance from Washington Street.

The purchase price for the 12-story building, which has 191,000 square feet, was $12.5 million, said John W. Boyd, chief executive officer of Greenville-based TIC Properties, and one of the investors.

The investment group consists of principals of TIC Properties, a real estate management company, and four other outside investors, said Paul Aiesi, TIC's chief investment officer.

Plans call for $5 million to $8 million in renovations over the next three to five years, he said.

They also call for demolition of 40 percent of the existing parking deck, converting what remains into office space and transforming the demolished part of the garage into a courtyard, Boyd said.

As part of the transaction, the investors purchased nearly 1.7 acres from Highwoods Properties, a Raleigh-based real estate investment trust. The building's biggest tenant is Bank of America, which occupies approximately 50,000 square feet.

The primary entrance to the building, which has a Laurens Street address, will be moved from Piazza Bergamo to Washington Street, improvements will be made to its Piazza side and the building's exterior will be updated, Boyd said.

Construction should begin by July 1.

"We think we're taking a downtown building that has been

Whatever they do to the garage and existing parking lot can only be an improvement. I wish they would alter the appearance of the tower itself as well. It is a classic example of uninspired, unappealing, simplistic 70's architecture. In all likelyhood, there is probaly little that can be done to it without spending a huge sum.

One thing I don't understand though. Does the Richardson Street garage have enough available spaces to allow the Bank of America building garage to just go away?

The Richardson Street garage has plentyof parking spaces. /please forgive my typing as I have smashed two fingers and not too interested in hitting shift key. Back to the subject. Neither garage is completely full whenever I've been in them, as there is usually two or three levels mostly empty. Frankly I'm surprised that it's taken the owners this long to take this one down. Its horrendus, and too small for the purpose of parking downtown, plus the one time i used it, coming down that spiral ramp was hell.

Thank you for the article, Mr. Toy! :) That is going to be very interesting, with all of the other planned developments on that same block. I wonder if that is why the "Ice Man" decided to postpone building Greenville's only public outdoor ice rink. :unsure:

This office addition to downtown, along with the new Piazza at Bergamo development should really help to further solidify the CBD as a pedestrian-friendly/centered neighborhood. :D

The Richardson Street garage has plentyof parking spaces. /please forgive my typing as I have smashed two fingers and not too interested in hitting shift key. Back to the subject. Neither garage is completely full whenever I've been in them, as there is usually two or three levels mostly empty. Frankly I'm surprised that it's taken the owners this long to take this one down. Its horrendus, and too small for the purpose of parking downtown, plus the one time i used it, coming down that spiral ramp was hell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate garages with spiral ramps. There is a very tall one in CHarlotte that I somehow managed to park in. Very annoying coming down.

I did a google search and found a free hosting place that took just two min to sign up and upload the image.  I should have just tried that to begin with.

b3b.jpg

Brad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just in case any body still did not know, this is the site where the Pinnacle on Main will go.

2C52EC44-5A32-4D7A-8260-3D3404F6DECC.jpg