New Greenville developments

gs3

I was just checking the ICAR website for any updates and stumbled onto this map from the ICAR masterplan for light rail. While obviously light rail in the Upstate is years away, it was nice to see that it's being actively discussed.

The link to the map on the ICAR website is:

http://www.clemson.edu/autoresearch/masterplan/index.htm

Once on this web page, there is a map of the possible lightrail line under "Sites" "Possible light rail".

Todays GSA business had an article about 22 south main, office condo building I posted about yesterday. IT is a renovation, that had a picture of the exsisting building. Between the two photos you can tell it will be a big change the new building has many more windows. The article mentioned that the building was a bomb shelter and before that a furniture store.

The Greenville Journal has an article too.  It only has a picture of the current state though, no rendering.

Also, the County Council is showing interest in assisting the city financially with the Expo Center, per the Journal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I meant Greenville Journal, I made a goof calling it GSA Business. oops

Actually Brad, you weren't too mistaken. There is not an article on the development of this South Main building, however there is an ad with a nice elevation rendering of almost the entire block, including the finished addition. Check it out. :)

edit> I was referring to the GSABusiness Journal having the ad, my bad for not making that clear. :blush:

Edited by Skyliner

This came in today. Thought you might find it interesting. :)

West End Market's New Owner Seeks Pharmacy

Mark Jones, Senior Reporter

Dr. Joseph Moon has been so enthused by the progress and potential of downtown Greenville he decided to purchase West End Market. "I've been seeing all the great things the city has been doing, particularly in the West End, and I really wanted to be part of it," says Moon, a Greenville dentist. "I personally think that end of Main Street is going to continue to be a major gathering place in the city. Within five years it will be the hot spot in Greenville."

Moon's bid of $2.626 million recently was accepted by the city of

Greenville, which purchased the old cotton warehouse at 1 S. Main St. in

1993. One of his priorities is finding an old-style pharmacy to locate in

the market, which he believes would help meet the needs of the growing

residential population downtown.

"I really feel it's a great location for a pharmacy, especially a

turn-of-the-century type of store, like a mix between the old Carpenter

Brothers and Mast General Store," says Moon. "We're already in discussion

for that to happen."

He says he's also had discussions for an architect's office, and envisions

other professionals such as attorneys and doctors interested in the site,

along with additional retailers.

The current mix of more than a dozen tenants ranges from retail shops to

restaurants to engineering offices. There is approximately 16,000 square

feet of space available in the market.

I agree, this will definitely be a wonderful addition, and another great example of proper development in downtown. :)

I can't think of any other pharmacies here, just a couple of health stores. But then I usually don't do much grocery or pharmacutical shopping in downtown either. I really enjoy shopping at the new Publix on Pelham Road. :thumbsup:

New Urbanism coming to Greenville on a Grand Scale, check out this article of the new 600 home 292 acre development called Acadia, also notice that almost 100 acres will be park space.

Home buyers may get new option

Posted Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:49 am

DEVELOPER PLANS A VILLAGE

Rumors of the Bass Pro Shop at Greenville Mall are really starting to move through out the Greenville area. I think everybody has heard it now.

What I have heard is that originally Bass Pro Shops wnated to buy the portion of the mall that they would use but the Mall's new owners didn't want to sell. So they may be trying to work out a lease now. This is all rumor though.

This is a great article I had missed on friday. Notice the important role that downtown Greenville played in making this happen! :)

New GE jobs add wattage to economy

Posted Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:38 pm

By Rudolph Bell

BUSINESS WRITER

[email protected]

General Electric Co. is rapidly boosting research and development at its Greenville complex, adding engineers and scientists and their hefty paychecks.

GE has brought 250 engineers and scientists into its design and research organization in Greenville in the past year and plans to add at least 100 more as fast as possible, bringing the total number to an all-time high of about 1,000.

Recent organizational changes at GE have put Greenville at the center of a global technology organization that will ultimately employ about 3,000 engineers and scientists, said Victor R. Abate, a 40-year-old GE vice president who runs the organization from Greenville.

Kailash Khandke, an economist at Furman University, said GE is "investing in ideas, and ideas are the future because ideas lead to productivity gains."

"That's what's made these companies great, and that's what's kept America's productivity hot," Khandke said.

GE's global organization designs a range of turbines

I hope this gets resolved. Having a multi-plex theater downtown would definitely put Greenville in a small circle of elite cities. What a great idea to put it underground.

Developers fight for downtown theater plan

Posted Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:03 pm

By John Boyanoski

STAFF WRITER

[email protected]

A Circuit Court judge may decide whether residents will be able to watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster on Greenville's Main Street.

Keystone Properties, LLC., has filed a lawsuit against the city's Design and Preservation Commission over an almost one-acre L-shaped chunk of land near the corner of Main and McBee streets downtown. Keystone wants to build an underground movie theater among other businesses on the site.

The City Council-appointed commission, which consists of local residents, denied the request, saying it required demolishing the former Kimbrell's Furniture building, according to court documents. The commission ruled the building was architecturally and historically significant.

The suit asks the court to review the case, documents show. The plaintiffs aren't asking for money.

City Attorney Ron McKinney declined to comment Monday, saying he hadn't seen the lawsuit.

Larry Estridge, the attorney for Keystone Properties, said his clients have filed documents questioning the building's significance. His clients are waiting for a March hearing on the new request.

"Hopefully, this won't be an issue after March," he said.

Keystone Properties had requested the demolition last summer, saying it wanted to put a grassy spot over the former furniture store that moved out last winter, according to city documents.

A company official said during an August meeting his group ultimately wants to put a 12- to 20-screen underground movie theater on the property, but it needed more land before bringing final plans to the board.

Commission members said they would like to see some of the old Kimbrell's face kept as part of any new development. City documents show the building has significant termite problems, but it isn't in danger of collapse.

I'd just like to know what in the world those city commissioners are thinking by not jumping at the opportunity to add such an attraction to Main Street! :angry: That former Kimbrells building currently has nothing of any real appeal to pedestrians passing by. If this plan is blocked because of a building facade, I'll go nuts! :wacko:

Edited by Skyliner

I had mentioned this project a while back but I seemed to be the only person who had heard anything about it. I am glad to see they are still thinking about it. I had heard rumors last week that they were now looking at a large residential building, but honestly you could probubly do both in one project you would just need some incredible sound proofing and vibration dapening material.

I saw a short clip on News 4 a little while ago, about the proposed movie theatre site. They blurbed something regarding a time later this week when the plans for the cinema will be disclosed. This should be mighty interesting. I'd sure love to know how deep the building will need to go to hold that many screens. :lol:

They also said that plans for another multi-level office building are being worked out for the former Firestone tire station site on the same block. Keep your ears peeled for any other info, because it's sure to be floating around. I wonder if maybe Bob Ellis is involved in this one too? Hmmm... ;)

Reedy's neighbors feel forgotten as growth booms downriver

Posted Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:38 pm

Nate Holland says people driving past his barber shop on Westfield Street barely notice a bridge that spans the Reedy River. Less than a mile downstream, a different bridge over the same river has beckoned tourists and helped spark an economic revival in Greenville's West End.

The difference is public and private money and where it's spent.

While the city has invested millions along the river downtown, residents upstream are waiting for the park they've been promised.

"That's the last great frontier for the city," Greenville Mayor Knox White said.

Public and private groups making plans to improve riverfront neighborhoods north and west of downtown are finding out environmental improvements are easier to sell in areas where money can be made.

"Poor neighborhoods are completely neglected unless they're in line to be torn down to build condos and expensive housing," said Beverly Wright, executive director of the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice at Xavier University of Louisiana.

While Falls Park on the Reedy rates a world-class pedestrian bridge, other parts of the river look almost third-world.

Shuttered warehouses, dirt lots and a parking area for garbage trucks help define the banks of the river upstream from downtown.

"It's not very pretty, for sure," said Jason Van Driesche, Upstate Forever's director of watershed conservation.

Bends in the river and its tributaries have been straightened to make room for railroad tracks. Much of the area developed before the city and county started requiring storm water drainage ponds.

Advocates for the river say the urban landscape could be partly to blame for downstream flooding and pollution. Pet waste, boards and other chunks of city life wash into the Reedy during heavy rains, while sediment turns the river into orange rapids.

A clean up could increase property values and make the area more attractive to new businesses. It could also help keep floodwaters out of living rooms, purify drinking water for 43,000 homes and businesses and improve living conditions in low-income neighborhoods in west Greenville.

Scientists will monitor the river for up to three years to determine how much phosphorous and fecal coliform it can take before the water becomes unhealthy. It's a limit known as the "total daily maximum load," said Kathy Stecker, a water quality manager at the state Department of Health and Environmental Control.

"If you have a permit to discharge treated waste, there might be reductions called for," she said.

A mix of private and city funding paid for the $13.4 million overhaul of Falls Park on the Reedy, including the Liberty Bridge overlooking the falls.

The city has agreed to spend another $13 million on a water fountain, an underground parking garage and other projects to complement RiverPlace. The $55 million private development is a mix of condos, apartments, a hotel and retail space that's rising on the banks of the Reedy across Main Street from the new park.

White said neighborhoods in west Greenville have been underdeveloped and have struggled. He sees opportunities for a new park and businesses, while keeping housing affordable.

The park, RiverPlace and new condos going up near Linky Stone Park will be the catalyst that sparks redevelopment to the west of downtown, White said.

"It'll be a green light, flashing to tell people it's OK to develop upriver," he said.

But Holland, the barber on Westfield Street, wonders if that will ever extend to his neighborhood.

"Everything over here is overlooked," he said.

Braylon Hughes, who works with Holland at Heavenly Cuts and also lives nearby, said he wonders what would have happened if the city had spent a fraction of the park money in the neighborhoods around Westfield Street.

"Imagine if you spend just three (million) over in this area," he said. "I guarantee you that three can do a whole lot."

Vidella Burdine, who lives on Cagle Street near the river, said she watched last July's flood ruin some of her neighbors' homes and barely spare hers. She wishes the Greenville County Redevelopment Authority would build her a new, subsidized home, as it did for people in Freetown in 1998.

"I want one big enough for my boys to come live with me," Burdine said. "I'm sick a lot."

The river flows to Lake Greenwood about 50 miles south of downtown Greenville and becomes a source of drinking water and a popular fishing hole.

Algae blooms linked to phosphorous formed a thick, slimy mess five years ago where the Reedy River flows into Lake Greenwood. The blooms were treated with herbicide and haven't returned.

Greenwood officials maintain the water is safe. Researchers are studying how upstream pollution affects the lake, including a privately funded project, the Saluda-Reedy Watershed Consortium.

"There's a lot of questions about algae blooms," said Dan Trout, executive director of Friends of the Reedy River. "There's a lot of questions about how much the river absorbs before it ever gets to Lake Greenwood."

The river's advocates said an important part of cleaning up the river is letting grass, shrubs and trees grow on the banks. That would filter pollution and soak up some rainwater, helping prevent floods, they said.

"Whether or not we get huge floods coming through downtown Greenville depends on how good of a job we do of taking care of things upstream," Van Driesche said.

Greenville County doesn't have a plan for the river but will encourage developers to build homes away from the banks, said Jimmy Forbes, Greenville County planning director.

"You get into access to folks' property," he said. "A lot of that is in flood plains. That's just hard to access."

While plans have been laid, funding has yet to materialize for many of the improvements north and west of downtown. White said the city is planning to raze the Public Works building on Hudson Street to make a "Cleveland Park West." The county wants to make a trail along railroad tracks from downtown to Travelers Rest, but it's tied up in legal proceedings.

In the city, The Salvation Army has considered a riverfront site off Hudson Street to build a community center with a gym, soccer field and educational facilities. They're seeking partial funding for the project from money left by Joan Kroc, wife of McDonald's restaurant founder, Ray Kroc.

Patti McAbee, a fund-raising consultant, said a similar center helped revitalize a low-income San Diego neighborhood, bringing a Starbucks and new shops.

"The Kroc Center is an exciting opportunity for Greenville," she said.

A group calling itself the "Jeremiah Project" hopes to turn the old Union Bleachery site on the banks of a Reedy River tributary into homes, offices and walking trails. Chromium will have to be cleaned from the ground first.

Shane Morin said he would like to see the site become a park where he can take his 3-year-old son, Hawke.

"We've got a lot of kids around here," he said. "There's just no place for them to play."

City Councilwoman Lillian Brock Fleming said the city would have to secure funding with a one-cent sales tax to pay for "Cleveland Park West." But first, she said, the state Legislature needs to give the city the power to charge the tax.

A healthy river could help the area recruit new industries, Fleming said.

"We know you can't have a river and not try to improve the quality of the river," she said.