New Greenville developments

gs3

One thing that this will also generate is more people speaking other languages on the streets of downtown. People here with Michelin and other companies for that matter will have reason to come downtown and rediscover their temporary or new home. :shades:

It may cause an increase, but that will probably not be very noticeable. I hear French and German, among many other languages all the time on Main Street. With the warmer weather returning, you notice more foreign families out enjoying downtown together as they do every year. It is no surprise anymore. :shades:

It may cause an increase, but that will probably not be very noticeable. I hear French and German, among many other languages all the time on Main Street. With the warmer weather returning, you notice more foreign families out enjoying downtown together as they do every year. It is no surprise anymore. :shades:

I guess not so much of an increase, but more of a concentration possibly in one area...

Looks like it will be a very nice store when finished from looking at the renderings. :)

New Greenville News story about Michelin on Main store: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...7/NEWS/70307018

Over $100 million in new development coming to Taylors beginning in the next few weeks: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/703070491

-Thoughts and opinions?

Edited by Spartan

What is interesting is that Greenville would most likely be the city Z3 owners around the nation associate the factory with. Since the plant is located in Spartanburg County, it is understandable that corporate executives might consider that their home. I don't think there is any indication that any city other than possibly Greer has reason to claim to the factory though. It splits the distance evenly between Greenville and Spartanburg. My reason for suggesting BMW could have a similar consumer-related presence in downtown Greenville is more based on the company image already here, not simply the manufacturing plant in a neighboring county. Lest we forget, the city of Greenville is home to a BMW research facility, and has the potential for much more to be added in the future. And with downtown being one of the strongest business and tourist destinations in the state, it would definitely be a success.

I think Spartanburg has just as much right to claim BMW as Greenville does. Spartanburg played a crucial role in landng BMW by having both land and a pool of workers to draw from along with Greenville. Greer is seeing lots of success because of its location between our two cities. Plus, with our cities as small as they are, they have to take advantage of everything they can, and BMW is certainly one of them.

I agree. No city can legitimately claim BMW Manufacturing (except possibly Greer). I think visitors from across the nation may associate more with Greenville, as it has hosted the annual reunion. The fact that there is a strong research presence in the city of Greenville does definitely help tip the scale though.

Why not? Greer's existance and success is a direct result of Greenville and Spartanburg's growth (to an extent). Not giving the primary cities in our metro some credit for that is very much like saying what happens is Mauldin or Boiling Springs is not related to Greenville and Spartanburg, respectively.

Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Easley are all just spin off's of Greenville's growth. It is like that in any metro. They are just smaller suburban cities surounding Greenville that are trying to have their own identity while in the mean time Greenville keeps eating up more land and building more and more.

Man, it would be really cool to get a first class international museum, showcasing all the international companies from the area, with their countries. Now that would be a destination.

That is what I envision, only in an international village format, complete with authentic architecture and ware from each nation represented here. The Vision 2025 document shows a plan for an international center, which is a village of sorts, only the architecture is uniform. I hope at least that much is accomplished in the next 18 years. Downtown Greenville is becoming an international center already, but a single place - a cluster of businesses designed to form an international attraction would really enhance what is already here, IMO. :shades:

The Michelin "project" will be retail, but that is only a part of the plan...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/703060490

This is unique, different, and will add something new to downtown. I like it. :thumbsup:

:yahoo: Wow!!! I love this! Go away for a week and you miss all kinds of great announcements.

I really like that this is retail "PLUS".....this will be great for retail, great for tourism, great for Michelin. Cool concept. This is exactly the kind of creativity and progressive idea that keeps pushing downtown Greenville forward! This is Greenville's version of "World of Coke".

Greenville is about to have its next downtown icon. :shades:

:thumbsup: Well said!

Edited by gsupstate

• 2 weeks later...

NuVox Communications will merge with Florida based FDN Communications. The new company will use the NuVox name and will continue to be headquartered in Greenville. :thumbsup: This bodes well for Greenville. :thumbsup: Always great to see a local company grow.

Article below:

http://www.techjournalsouth.com/news/artic...ml?item_id=2809

This is indeed great! I'm glad the HQ will remain in Greenville. :thumbsup:

Heard a rumour, not sure how reliable but interesting, that a bloom grocery store would be coming to downtown. It would be coming to that piece of no mans land that is bounded by Wade Hampton Bld, Church st and Stone Avenue across from Capri's. I've always wondered what may happen with that piece of land.

Interesting