New Greenville developments

gs3

Antone know what isgoing on with this construction in front of HH Gregg? This construction site has been like this for many months with this half complete structure. What is this suppose to be be? Did something happen....developers run out of money? No construction workers are ever on site, and this project continues to sit half complete. :dontknow:

DSC03366.jpg

They were poring concrete out there Saturday morning so looks like it might be starting back up again

I recently learned that the Consumer Bankers Association's Graduate School of Retail Bank Management will be held at Furman University in Greenville. This is a rather significant development for our city. :shades: Check out this brief description from their website:

CBA’s Graduate School of Retail Bank Management is a three-summer executive education program for bank officers from throughout the U.S. and abroad. In a fast-paced, ten-day resident session each summer, students work in teams to analyze the major functional areas of banking and how they interact. The School provides a nucleus for networking and mutual support by housing students in apartments with a cross-section of job function, bank asset size and geographic location, and then assigning team projects.
Edited by Skyliner

Hey ya'll, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I just didn't know where to post it. My boss recently asked me if they were still planning on moving the county buildings to the old Greenville Mall site. Is this still the plan?

I dont think so. That plan got scrapped. The developer that was planning it sold the property to another developer.

The Woodlands at Furman, a continuing care community, is about to start construction by Furman. The rendering from the Greenville News article looks nice. The article doesn't state the exact location....anyone know? Will it front Highway 25 or Poinsett Highway?

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...4/1003/BUSINESS

It will be off Highway 25 across Roe Ford Road from the golf course club house. It will be close to the Swamp Rabbit Trail near the north entrance of Furman.

The Woodlands at Furman, a continuing care community, is about to start construction by Furman. The rendering from the Greenville News article looks nice. The article doesn't state the exact location....anyone know? Will it front Highway 25 or Poinsett Highway?

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...4/1003/BUSINESS

North of the golf course, not really fronting either road, but off Roe Ford Road. Furman has a lot of property back there that just isn't used at all. It's a project that has met with some controversy among the Furman community. It's been talked about nearly ten years now.

Does anyone know what is going to become of the demolition site that is now on the corner of North Main and Stone Avenue? (Across from Eckerd).

We've only heard rumors at this point, but it may possibly include residential or another grocery store. Many see that part of downtown as a similar version of the West End.

Edited by Skyliner

We've only heard rumors at this point, but it may possibly include residential or another grocery store. Many see that part of downtown as a similar version of the West End.

I do not think the North End has anywhere close to the potential that the West End had/has. It does, however, offer a chance to extend Main Street's attractions beyond the College/Beattie intersection. I would like to see it take on its own identity, different from any other area of the city. Thoughts?

I do not think the North End has anywhere close to the potential that the West End had/has. It does, however, offer a chance to extend Main Street's attractions beyond the College/Beattie intersection. I would like to see it take on its own identity, different from any other area of the city. Thoughts?

I should have clarified that many see the similarity based upon its obvious potential for redevelopment stemming from development on Main Street.

I could see the North End specifically Stone Ave. becoming something like State St. in Columbia (New Brookland Tavern, coffee shops, pubs, etc.). We already have the Handlebar and Horizon/Bohemian, we just need some addition infill projects.

I would like to see an entertainment option here, to balance DT a little more, and draw people back north some. This property would be a good location for a nice bowling alley/pool hall. A pedestrian walkway could be constructed to connect to the park. Add some ice cream/coffee shops, some midrise residential (behind the bowling alley) and a few pieces of art work and you have something.

...or put a couple 30+ storey residential buildings... :P

I could see the North End specifically Stone Ave. becoming something like State St. in Columbia (New Brookland Tavern, coffee shops, pubs, etc.). We already have the Handlebar and Horizon/Bohemian, we just need some addition infill projects.

I can see that happening easily. It really wouldn't take much to make that happen.

I would like to see it take on its own identity, different from any other area of the city. Thoughts?

I would like to see North End become a little more "neighborhood" oriented and have restaurants / bars, etc. that cater to the professionals who live in the area. West End is for "everyone".....from all the burbs.....all the tourist. West End is the place to go. I'd like North End to be a little more reserved, a little more quiet, yet still vibrant (quiet and vibrant can coexist very nicely).

Reading what I just wrote sounds elitest, but it isn't intended that way. To sum it, let West End continue to develop for tourist, and North End develop for locals. I want to see Greenville continue to expand it's neighborhoods with each having distinct character, flavor and unique groups of locals who frequent the areas.

Edited by gsupstate

I would like to see North End become a little more "neighborhood" oriented and have restaurants / bars, etc. that cater to the professionals who live in the area. West End is for "everyone".....from all the burbs.....all the tourist. West End is the place to go. I'd like North End to be a little more reserved, a little more quite, yet still vibrant (quite and vibrant can coexist very nicely).

Reading what I just wrote sounds elitest, but it isn't intended that way. To sum it, let West End continue to develop for tourist, and North End develop for locals. I want to see Greenville continue to expand it's neighborhoods with each having distinct character, flavor and unique groups of locals who frequent the areas.

I like the idea of this. The North End has the potential for fostering local growth, as there is a lot of "neighborhood" foot traffic and not much of the tourist crowd at all. I always see young families, couples, and singles out and about in the area...and if QUIET shops, restaurants, and pubs enter the picture, it will be a blissful little world of quirky north-enders. My opinion, of course.

not being in the real estate business, you all are pretty smart. i think you are right that the north main area should and probably will be known more for the peacefull end of Main Street and more locally inhabited. I have friends that have bought into the RiverPlace phenomenom and are now regreting it because of the lack of privacy. That makes the Pinnical Building in a good spot but where are they in their development plan?

The block from Stone Avenue to Park would be a good place to put up a mid-rise development like McBee Station. Mixed use, but mainly residential with commercial or office on the first floor or two and near Main St. They could leave Main St. four lanes and put some diagonal parking on an access road coming off Main. Put up two, three, or four stories buildings fronting Main and taller buildings stepped back from Main. They could be built surrounding or over the parking decks. A nice, distinctive tower near (but not next to the corner of Stone and Main) that would grab the eye for anyone coming down Wade Hampton Blvd. or from W. Stone Ave or coming down N. Main to the CBD.

Of course, whoever is having the demolition done at that corner probably already has their own plans. :rolleyes: