New Greenville developments

gs3

I was there this past summer and they were advertising Transformers 2.

Guess I should have said "quality" first run movies. :lol:

As an example, at the moment, IMAX at Discovery Place is showing "Under the Sea", while the suburban IMAX in Charlotte (like we are getting) is showing "Avatar".

You are right about the one at Discovery Place, but then all you'll be able to watch are things like LIfe of the Bumble Bee and Trip Through the Stars....no first run movies. Charlotte's IMAX that shows first run movies (in the burbs) is just like ours. That is the case nationwide. First run movie IMAX theaters are like ours. Museum type IMAX theaters, while larger, will not be showing first run movies.

The full-size IMAX at the Museum in Raleigh plays first-run movies. I tried to get "Avatar" tickets over the holidays, but it was sold out nearly a week in advance.

Has anyone ever proposed anything for the parking lot across from city hall and the grnvl news building?

There were rumors of a highrise during the "Greenville highrise announcement boom", but I believe the owners refused to sell or the developers had some reason for not obtaining the land. As a result, there were never any renderings, etc. Is this correcT?

The City Hall/Greenville News parking lot at Main & Broad would be the PERFECT place for a large retail anchor or other new construction built for modern tenants. I was walking down Main this weekend and the whole strip of buildings on the west side of the street between the block where Poinsett Plaza is and the Woolworth's block contains just old bulidings with non-"destination" tenants that probably draw low foot traffic, and no mall-type or big-box tenant could go in that kind of space. New construction is one place where they could, and could give a big shot in the arm to downtown retail.

That surface lot is such a waste of prime real estate. GvilleSC, I believe you are right about the highrise proposal for that site a few years ago that never materialized because the owners decided not to sell after all. I am not sure of the particulars there, but I am thinking the building was to be in the 15-20 story range. I never saw renderings, and I am not sure they ever existed.

That surface lot is such a waste of prime real estate. GvilleSC, I believe you are right about the highrise proposal for that site a few years ago that never materialized because the owners decided not to sell after all. I am not sure of the particulars there, but I am thinking the building was to be in the 15-20 story range. I never saw renderings, and I am not sure they ever existed.

Yes, it's a waste and joins the Woolworth and Gateway sites that will probably not see any developement for years.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to see Distortedlogic's reaction. He's going to have a fit. laugh.gif DP3 Architects has designed the four-story, 24 unit condominium project which shares a site with the NEXT commercial office building. Each unit will feature 9' high exposed concrete ceilings, large expanses of glass with views of downtown Greenville including Falls Park, and an open floor plan that connects the dining, kitchen, and living space. The structure is composed of pre-cast concrete construction and contains covered parking: http://www.dp3architects.com/portfolio/community/next-residential/

I think it's a product of their 3d Modeling software, but the renderings are very uninformative. It surprises me that a firm like DP3 would be using what appears to be Sketch-up.

It'll be interesting to hear more about the residential component. Not tying it into the Swamp Rabbit trail just below the site would be a HUGE mistake, IMO. But, at this point, we don't know any details.

I can't wait to see Distortedlogic's reaction. He's going to have a fit. laugh.gif DP3 Architects has designed the four-story, 24 unit condominium project which shares a site with the NEXT commercial office building. Each unit will feature 9' high exposed concrete ceilings, large expanses of glass with views of downtown Greenville including Falls Park, and an open floor plan that connects the dining, kitchen, and living space. The structure is composed of pre-cast concrete construction and contains covered parking: http://www.dp3architects.com/portfolio/community/next-residential/

:lol: Well, I already think Next is one of the ugliest buildings in town. This actually looks better than the original rendering we saw, which looked more like a parking garage than condos. I still think this is way too boxy and uncreative, but it is better than what is there now, and what was originally proposed, and maybe it will hide the next building a little. :P

Edited by distortedlogic

I don't know which rendering is correct or if there are two hotels planned but apparently bids go out for it in mid-2010 according to datafax: http://www.aparchite...tices&prj_id=16 That's all I know. Location is around Pelham Road/I-85. And no I don't know what happened to Aloft by W either sadly.

Edited by citylife

I don't know which rendering is correct or if there are two hotels planned but apparently bids go out for it in mid-2010 according to datafax: http://www.aparchite...tices&prj_id=16 That's all I know. Location is around Pelham Road/I-85. And no I don't know what happened to Aloft by W either sadly.

ALoft is still on. It is scheduled to break ground late 2010.

Edited by gsupstate