New Greenville developments

gs3

I don't know which rendering is correct or if there are two hotels planned but apparently bids go out for it in mid-2010 according to datafax: http://www.aparchite...tices&prj_id=16 That's all I know. Location is around Pelham Road/I-85. And no I don't know what happened to Aloft by W either sadly.

Glad to see that the Sheraton hotel we heard about a couple of years ago off The Parkway is still a go. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see Distortedlogic's reaction. He's going to have a fit. laugh.gif DP3 Architects has designed the four-story, 24 unit condominium project which shares a site with the NEXT commercial office building. Each unit will feature 9' high exposed concrete ceilings, large expanses of glass with views of downtown Greenville including Falls Park, and an open floor plan that connects the dining, kitchen, and living space. The structure is composed of pre-cast concrete construction and contains covered parking: http://www.dp3architects.com/portfolio/community/next-residential/

I wonder if building this building in the parking lot would allow them to still come back later and do the building on the roof like in the original design?

I love the NEXT building! I would definitely think something more sleek and contemporary would be more appropriate. Hopefully this being in the on-the-drawing-board section means that there are a lot of changes to take place on the design.

Ok, all of you guys love the next buiding so I decided to look at it again to see if I could see what you guys see. Perhaps I still don't quite understand what it really is. Isn't it for people who are organizing new business and development? After looking at it and (having driven by it before as well), it just looks like a grey cinder block box with a fence running through it. What am I not seeing they you guys do?

BTW, I really like the sheraton design. Would like to see a little more glass, but the design is not too boxy and looks like it will be a great addition! Glad to see this one is still a go. :thumbsup:

The nighttime appearance is much better, with the lights shining on it. The fence as you call it actually serves a purpose. Considering this was a remodel of an existing building, htey di d a good job, IMO. They could have used a splash of color on it, but otherwise it has grown on me.

Edited by vicupstate

"The fence" as it is being called is the medium that catches and reflects the colored lights at night. Once you've seen the light show at night with the changing colors, you pretty much always view the building that way, IMO. It is by far, one of the most forward designs in Greenville.

DL we must have opposite taste...I find the Sheraton simply uninspiring and a middle of the road design that could be found in any city USA. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't thrill either. :dontknow:

DL we must have opposite taste...I find the Sheraton simply uninspiring and a middle of the road design that could be found in any city USA. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't thrill either. :dontknow:

:lol: Well as far as the actual appearance of the facade I agree with you. But at least it is not just a box with no other shape to it, and at least it has some detail to it. I guess I am kinda accepting that fact that companies don't really build creative buildings with unique features anymore, just the pre-fab looking stock buildings. But this one isn't as bad as some others I have seen proposed or built recently. I would personally like to see something taller with a smaller footprint, and preferably DT, but these hotels all seem to be going in the burbs (except Main at Broad of course).

Hmm, wonder of those two highrises in the background are part of the design, I'll take those! :w00t::P

Edited by distortedlogic

:lol: Well as far as the actual appearance of the facade I agree with you. But at least it is not just a box with no other shape to it, and at least it has some detail to it. I guess I am kinda accepting that fact that companies don't really build creative buildings with unique features anymore, just the pre-fab looking stock buildings. But this one isn't as bad as some others I have seen proposed or built recently. I would personally like to see something taller with a smaller footprint, and preferably DT, but these hotels all seem to be going in the burbs (except Main at Broad of course).

Hmm, wonder of those two highrises in the background are part of the design, I'll take those! :w00t::P

Of course, you have to realize that is a converted warehouse. It's not a brand new building. So there are limitations to what can be done. In terms of re-using an old structure, it is awesome.

• 1 month later...

Has the condo building at NEXT officially started construction? dontknow.gif I was by there yesterday, and a large area looks to be staked out in the same shape, dimensions as the planned condo units. 5 stories on this ridge will make nice impact.

I've heard from a source it indeed has. Can't confirm that though.

Has the condo building at NEXT officially started construction? :dontknow: I was by there yesterday, and a large area looks to be staked out in the same shape, dimensions as the planned condo units. 5 stories on this ridge will make nice impact.

Looks like all the staking out was for parking. They have all the formwork for curb and gutter.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the exact opening date?

April 30th is the grand opening date but you can go see free movies with free popcorn at the new theater from April 26th-29th. All the theater ask is that you make a simple $2 donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. You can find more information about that here: http://www.greatesca...&theaterstate=0 thumbsup.gif

Edited by citylife

April 30th is the grand opening date but you can go see free movies with free popcorn at the new theater from April 26th-29th. All the theater ask is that you make a simple $2 donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. You can find more information about that here: http://www.greatesca...&theaterstate=0 thumbsup.gif

The building looks like it has no more height that Hollywood 20 or Cherrydale. I'm thinking the Limax is going to be disappointing.

Great Escape is looking good! I am glad they are prominently displaying the IMAX logo. :shades:

The news coming out from the grand opening today all sounds positive. Seems most are pretty blown away by the IMAX experience. Even our g-man/citylife posted a glowing review on another forum from his experience today.

The news coming out from the grand opening today all sounds positive. Seems most are pretty blown away by the IMAX experience. Even our g-man/citylife posted a glowing review on another forum from his experience today.

Excellent. Hopefully everyone complaining that it's a "fake IMAX" will realize that we are fortunate to have such a nice theater.

• 5 weeks later...

According to my source, their lease will be up in July. Hopefully developers are working with the City on concepts for that entire district. It has great potential to be a thriving pedestrian-oriented business center within the CBD.

My source says they (the USPS annex on Calvin Street) are planning to move during the week of July 4. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...