New Greenville developments

gs3

Any news regarding Washington Square, the Piazza Bergamo renovation, Carolina Ale House, or Main at McBee? While on the subject, any updates to the Pinnacle on Main, Camperdown, or "Gateway to Greenville"?

At least we now have a fairly large sign posted in the sidewalk display window of the former Kimbrell's building, which includes an artist's rendering of the planned Carolina Ale House and the words, "coming soon".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here.

I thought the Westside Aquatic Center was being rehabbed, but instead it seems it will be demolished and a replacement built.

If this is the case, are we missing a great opportunity to instead site it elsewhere?

Two immediate options come to mind.

One is DT/West end or more specifically the Cleveland Park West area. The Kroc Center aquatic facilty was scaled back from it's original plans. Couldn't the two projects have been merged into a multi pool mega aquatic center?

As I understand it, there are no facilities currently in Greenville that can handle the really big swim (Olympic pool)meets. Will the new Westside facility be big enough?

A second option would be to site it in Conesstee Park with the just announced Ballpark facilities. The site is the geographic center of the county and is directly on I-85.

Thoughts?

Downtown to see construction progress

Update on things DT. No 'completely new' projects if you follow UP though. Apparently the $1mm the city got from selling it's share of the Hyatt property will go to Washington Square, so maybe that is a good sign that it is getting closer. Mayor White proclaims it the city's top priority.

I wish they had touched on the project to replace the 'Green Monster'. There has been nothing lately on that.

Edited by vicupstate

Update on things DT. No 'completely new' projects if you follow UP though. Apparently the $1mm the city got from selling it's share of the Hyatt property will go to Washington Square, so maybe that is a good sign that it is getting closer. Mayor White proclaims it the city's top priority.

I wish they had touched on the project to replace the 'Green Monster'. There has been nothing lately on that.

The green monster development is scheduled to start construction in September 2010.

I don't believe so unless something drastically changed with the plans. A 25+ story building sure would look out of place in the West End. :lol:

Any word on the tenant(s). A national retialer is suppose to be the primary tenant. If you can't say the name, can you say the product line? (drug store, clothing, office supplies, etc.)

Any word on the tenant(s). A national retialer is suppose to be the primary tenant. If you can't say the name, can you say the product line? (drug store, clothing, office supplies, etc.)

Two national retailers are slated to take the ground floor spaces. Don't know who though.

Two national retailers are slated to take the ground floor spaces. Don't know who though.

Well, I hope they're clothing or pharmacy. Technically, we're getting a national retailer on North Main, but it's VERIZON WIRELESS. Important and a welcome addition, but just mentioned to keep things in perspective with the term 'national retailer'. Obviously a destination-type retailer would be a HUGE deal. :tough:

Great article outlining the status of many projects we've discussed here. Thanks for posting!

I am intrigued by the possibilities for Washington Square. Knowing the people behind it (including the City of Greenville), I have no doubt it will be dynamic. I also agree with Mayor White about the need for more apartments downtown. The old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site would be perfect. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying following Knox White's twitter feed. He's posted two tweets about new developments on the North end of Main Street. Saying the plans "keep getting bigger. And all in a weak economy. We go against the grain". This sounds exciting! :yahoo: I wonder if this is Washington Square plans or something new/huge catalyst for the North End? :good:

Edited by GvilleSC

I'm enjoying following Knox White's twitter feed. He's posted two tweets about new developments on the North end of Main Street. Saying the plans "keep getting bigger. And all in a weak economy. We go against the grain". This sounds exciting! :yahoo: I wonder if this is Washington Square plans or something new/huge catalyst for the North End? :good:

I'm not sure what project these tweets refer to, but I absolutely love the fact that we have a mayor who uses Twitter. :thumbsup: I've started following his tweets.

• 2 weeks later...

Knox White's latest Tweet:

"To those looking for good housing downtown maybe help is on way. We need more apts. Word is out to dvlpment community to seize opportunity"

Mayor White has consistently said downtown needs more apartments and housing in general. With all 98 or so apartments at McBee Station being constantly full, the need definitely seems to be there. Hopefully the developers will show interest and work with the City to fix this shortage of options!

Edited by GvilleSC

McBee Station has about 200 units, not 98. But you're right, they stay filled.

I wish the McBee Station would buy the adjacent properties that front on Broad St. They could put 5-6 story buildings on there without having to build the 'overhead' of a rental office and a pool. It seems they could justify paying the seller to make it worth his while.

Other locations for Apartments...

Baby Bi-lo shopping center. Level the site and put a mini- McBee Station there with a better Bi-Lo.

Stone & Main

West Washington St.

Parcels next to Davenport condo. It's mostly parking now, that is NEVER used.