New Greenville developments

gs3

McBee Station has about 200 units, not 98. But you're right, they stay filled.

Yea, I think it's 192 to be exact. I left that 1 off the front.

The Mayor has made mention before that he'd like to see apartments for the gateway site, but the City no longer owns that property, right?

It is strange, considering the obvious interest in downtown residential, that the McBee Park condo development hasn't moved at a quicker pace. Having said that, I assume its current status can be blamed on the weak economy.

If only more of the proposed condo developments were apartments, I think they would. Unless, of course, the condos were actually affordable!

• 2 weeks later...

According to an article in GSA Business, Greenville-based JHM Hotels is purchasing the Hyatt Regency and plans to renovate the lobby, restaurant, meeting space, and guest room corridors. They plan to make this their flagship hotel, which indicates how extensive their plans may be. Mayor Knox White seems enthusiastic about the potential to add new retail space along North Main Street. Perhaps this is what he tweeted about?

“I think when we get to the lobby, we’re going to want to make a statement,” Browder said.

Greenville Mayor Knox White said the city has been working with JHM on a plan to renovate the hotel’s exterior to add retail frontage on North Main Street.

“The update of the hotel will be a great boost for the north end of Main Street,” he said. “This is really going to reenergize that area.”

The project will likely start sometime in 2012, according to the article.

According to an article in GSA Business, Greenville-based JHM Hotels is purchasing the Hyatt Regency and plans to renovate the lobby, restaurant, meeting space, and guest room corridors. They plan to make this their flagship hotel, which indicates how extensive their plans may be. Mayor Knox White seems enthusiastic about the potential to add new retail space along North Main Street. Perhaps this is what he tweeted about?

The project will likely start sometime in 2012, according to the article.

I am really excited about the renovations that will occur here, and I am sure they will make this property amazing once again. But as with the federal courthouse, I am disappointed that we have to wait so long for construction to begin.

But as with the federal courthouse, I am disappointed that we have to wait so long for construction to begin.

Which, makes me want to doubt that this is what Knox White was tweeting about for North Main... It might just be wishful thinking, but I'm not sure I'd say that we're going "against the grain" with reference to the economy when a project is THAT far out... :dontknow:

Which, makes me want to doubt that this is what Knox White was tweeting about for North Main... It might just be wishful thinking, but I'm not sure I'd say that we're going "against the grain" with reference to the economy when a project is THAT far out... :dontknow:

JHM hasn't even entered the building to officially start the design work yet, according to the article. The fact they they are working closely with the City prior to even drawing up the initial plans indicates how great this project may ultimately be for North Main Street.

JHM hasn't even entered the building to officially start the design work yet, according to the article. The fact they they are working closely with the City prior to even drawing up the initial plans indicates how great this project may ultimately be for North Main Street.

Right, which is why I would like to believe that this is not what was referenced in Mayor White's post. But, it's great to see that they have truly great visions for the Hyatt! Knox did Tweet about the plans today, however, and I think there must be more exciting news for North Main. :thumbsup:

Edited by GvilleSC

The Journal Watchdog site had a lot of great tba's posted from the end of August. So, many of you may have seen these, but they're exciting rumors:

Talk around town is that the city will enhance the sidewalks along narrow Brown Street in front of the Brown Street Club and rename it the Brown Street District. It’s all part of an effort to make it distinct as an entertainment district.

The Runway Café at the Greenville Downtown Airport is scheduled to open next week.

All but four of the 40 units at the Flats at Pendleton West have sold. The property is located near the intersection of Main Street and Pendleton and has helped extend Greenville’s West End area. The townhomes have helped attract young professionals to the city.

Word is Grant Peacock could be making an announcement of some sort about his long-stalled Peacock Hotel, which was envisioned as a luxury hotel and spa. The plan has been downsized twice and no longer includes a bar.

An announcement people in the know consider surprising will be forthcoming on the Washington Square project. That’s the mixed use – office and retail – project on the block that once held the Woolworth store

I like that Brown Street's renovations seem to be moving forward. And news about Washington Square (surprising? not sure what that means) and Peacock's site are exciting. I hope we hear more soon!

Thoughts?

I am going to laugh (and then cry) if the Peacock announcement includes yet another scale back from the previous proposal. Who knows, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I still hope for huge things for Washington Square. My requirements:

-Forward-thinking architecture

-At least 1 tall building for skyline-enhancement purposes

-Mixed use

-Some national retailers

Very excited to hear what will happen there!

I still hope for huge things for Washington Square. My requirements:

-Forward-thinking architecture

-At least 1 tall building for skyline-enhancement purposes

-Mixed use

-Some national retailers

I hope that 'surprising' translate to exciting in all of the categories that you mentioned. Additionally, I hope that the Journal's timeline for 'soon' is within the scope of this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor White's latest tweet:

"New hyatt owners are local. Working with them to bring new retail to this end of main. Sorely needed. Watch for another project for area"

'Another project for the area' is interesting. I wonder if it's just more renovations, or something major? :dontknow: Could be that project for the north end of Main that "keeps getting bigger" and suggests that Greenville goes 'against the grain'. Who knows, but it's fun to consider... :shades:

Mayor White's latest tweet:

"New hyatt owners are local. Working with them to bring new retail to this end of main. Sorely needed. Watch for another project for area"

'Another project for the area' is interesting. I wonder if it's just more renovations, or something major? :dontknow: Could be that project for the north end of Main that "keeps getting bigger" and suggests that Greenville goes 'against the grain'. Who knows, but it's fun to consider... :shades:

Crap...maybe Liquid Highway should have held on at the Hyatt store just a little longer.

The Hyatt is undergoing a signifcant renovation itself. Is that the project he is referring too? Or perhaps Washington Square?

The Journal has already run a story a week or 2 ago, that JHM Hotels bought the Hyatt and planned a renovation with additional street level retail.

The developers of Washington Square are planning for a July 2012 completion. Therefore, an announcement can only be so far away. They are trying to nail down financing currently.