New Greenville developments

gs3

I especially like this part:

Three housing projects are in the pipeline for the West End, he said. Aughtry said he expects both a new office project and two or three apartment deals announced in the next 18 months.

Source: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110602/BUSINESS/306010128/As-Main-Street-fills-downtown-likely-to-bulge-west

I'm pleased to hear City leaders and area developers loosening up and sharing more information about actual projects in the early planning stage.

I especially like this part:

Source: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110602/BUSINESS/306010128/As-Main-Street-fills-downtown-likely-to-bulge-west

I'm pleased to hear City leaders and area developers loosening up and sharing more information about actual projects in the early planning stage.

That must not have been in the hardcopy edition, or I read too quickly?

Sounds great, though! I wonder if one of the office projects is the one on Camperdown that we discussed earlier this year after someone posting a document that addressed property lines/encroaching on the ROW or whatever it was about..? It was soon after Riverwalk's application to the DPC and commencement of construction.

I wonder if one of the office projects is the one on Camperdown that we discussed earlier this year after someone posting a document that addressed property lines/encroaching on the ROW or whatever it was about..? It was soon after Riverwalk's application to the DPC and commencement of construction.

http://www.hughesinvestments.com/mydocuments/future_land_concepts.pdf

THANKS! We all know those buildings won't look anything like what's in that "concept" sketch (for one, it's a concept, and two the Riverwalk has changed immensely from what is drawn and what's being built), but it's nice to see such a comprehensive approach and an understanding of goals.

But, I wonder if this office building next to Riverwalk is indeed one of the projects? This "district" around the River has a great future!

Edited by GvilleSC

I'd guess the three residential projects in the pipeline are The Custom House, RiverWalk, and Markley Place. The office could be part of the building planned for the corner of S. Main and River, but it has already been announced and will be primarily retail and residential space. I'm hoping the yet-to-be-announced office development will be in the RiverPlace district. With Reedy Square well on its way to becoming a reality, that area will undoubtedly see an explosive amount of construction activity in the near future.

I'd guess the three residential projects in the pipeline are The Custom House, RiverWalk, and Markley Place. The office could be part of the building planned for the corner of S. Main and River, but it has already been announced and will be primarily retail and residential space. I'm hoping the yet-to-be-announced office development will be in the RiverPlace district. With Reedy Square well on its way to becoming a reality, that area will undoubtedly see an explosive amount of construction activity in the near future.

I'm marking The Custom House as done. It's almost there, I wouldn't think they'd be referring to that. And as far as I know, the developers of Markley Place still want it to happen, but they're just kind of sitting on their haunches with no real rush. I think one of the residential projects could very well be the one at Main and River St. Maybe another at Riverplace? Not sure...

I still think the office building has to be the one next to Riverwalk. :dontknow:

I think one of the residential projects could very well be the one at Main and River St. Maybe another at Riverplace? Not sure...

I still think the office building has to be the one next to Riverwalk. :dontknow:

Has the development at S. Main and River not been announced? The office development could indeed be part of the "future building" seen on the RiverWalk site plan. That would be great, and would add to the rapid surge in positive publicity for the Hughes brothers. They've been at the forefront of many significant developments in Greenville for over a decade.

Has the development at S. Main and River not been announced? The office development could indeed be part of the "future building" seen on the RiverWalk site plan. That would be great, and would add to the rapid surge in positive publicity for the Hughes brothers. They've been at the forefront of many significant developments in Greenville for over a decade.

They indeed have been. I had actually forgotten all about Bo Aughtry until his name was in the paper today :lol:

On a quick trip to the Chocolate Moose today, I parked on Brown Street. I was impressed by how far along the streetscaping is. The sidewalk is coming along very well. The piano keys are in. I'm not entirely sure you can really tell that that's what they are, but maybe as more work is done you will? Nonetheless it looks good! Furthermore, the sidewalk is such an upgrade! It's extremely wide!!! I'm anxiously awaiting the lighting scheme's installment, the furniture and trees!

The May issue of Greenville Business magazine had an interview with Mayor White. In it he stated there were 5 apartment projects in the pipeline.

Obviously, we know the Bookends II site is one, and a recent Greenville News article mentioned Peacock as a possibility, so maybe that is the second. In that same Gville News article, White stated there were 3 West End apartment projects. One of those would be the Green Monster project, but has anyone heard what the other two locations might be?

I don't think Riverwalk counts as one because in the Greenville Business article, White mentioned Riverwalk in a prior question. Custom House and Markley Place are both for-sale units, so they would not be included possibilities either.

Wasn't there a rumor once of apartments/condos being built on Rhett St where the Sun Heating building is?

I think those were originally condos, but not sure what's going on with that project these days. Anyone?

Different subject: BTW, I drove out Pete Hollis Blvd the other day. What's being built on the right hand side as you leave downtown?

I think those were originally condos, but not sure what's going on with that project these days. Anyone?

Different subject: BTW, I drove out Pete Hollis Blvd the other day. What's being built on the right hand side as you leave downtown?

That project is The Parker @ Cone, and is going to be affordable apartments directed at families. There will be 64 units according to page 8 of this.

• 2 weeks later...

From the City of Greenville Public Design Review announcements: "A request by Anthony Tiberia to construct a new 7-story building facing W. Washington Street on the north end of the Spring Street parking garage, located in the Central Business District."

The yellow painted building across from Wachovia Place has a sort of wooden scaffolding in front of it protecting the sidewalk, as if construction or some type of work is going to start. Anyone know what's up with this?

If I remember correctly, I believe the Art Bar & Hamilton's Tavern owners were expanding/adding on to the building with a top -floor feature.

From the City of Greenville Public Design Review announcements: "A request by Anthony Tiberia to construct a new 7-story building facing W. Washington Street on the north end of the Spring Street parking garage, located in the Central Business District."

I guess that would be phase 2 of the Bookends? I'm pretty sure that's on the E. Washington side though.

The cover story of the Journal says that apartments are being considered for both the Peacock site and the Gateway site, although the Gateway site might include a modest amount of offic espace as well.

Obviously proximity to existing parking garages is very relevant on site selection for these projects.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed here much is the master plan for the Zoo. The study may advise staying put, but a move is possible as well. The currect site is 14 acres but only about 6 acres is useable because of the property slope.

Perhaps a relocated zoo could be made part of the Reedy River Park (aka Cleveland Park West).

The cover story of the Journal says that apartments are being considered for both the Peacock site and the Gateway site, although the Gateway site might include a modest amount of offic espace as well.

Obviously proximity to existing parking garages is very relevant on site selection for these projects.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed here much is the master plan for the Zoo. The study may advise staying put, but a move is possible as well. The currect site is 14 acres but only about 6 acres is useable because of the property slope.

Perhaps a relocated zoo could be made part of the Reedy River Park (aka Cleveland Park West).

I wonder how tall apartments at the Peacock would have to go in order to make them work financially? Almost anything over 8 stories, as originally planned, might require demolition of the current structure and foundation.

As for the Zoo, I hope it can stay in the downtown vicinity. Cleveland Park West would be great in that it would remain near a park, and help revitalize the West Washington/West Greenville areas.

On a completely different topic, the interstate signs for the Carolina First Center now say "TD Convention Center". Looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

Oh, I also was VERY intrigued by the idea that the City would be willing to allow someone to develop something above the bus station. Laurens Street could gain even more charm than has already been restored. Greenville is ripe for lots of opportunities right now! It's great to see! :thumbsup:

As Knox White was quoted as saying: We're not done yet.