New Greenville developments

gs3

I thought when WalMart proposed that Pelham Rd store and the residents were against it they promised to do a smaller more upscale store without the extras like an oil change center.

Now they are building an oil change center even more gawdy in front of it? All of that and Target could not get an approval to build a superstore at Pelham Rd and Garlington a few years go. That is just not right.

Speaking of WM, anyone know whats going on with old Sams Club on Laurens Road. They have closed the Murphy USA in front of it and clearing the place out. I hope there is some new development coming to that blighted property. It had become an overnight truckstop.

The Journal reported/rumored a few weeks ago that it was going to be re-used (that's obviously now). It hinted that the use would automotive in nature. Not sure what that means exactly....

It appears that Walmart is planning a store (perhaps as small as 30,000) for an urban, edge of Downtown neighborhood in Columbia. To date, Walmart has not submitted plans for the proposed Church St. location. There is some reference to a parking gargage for this Columbia location.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/10/20/2015683/firm-with-ties-to-walmart-to-buy.html

Wal Mart is expanding their Walmart Express chain (typically 10-15,000 sq ft select groceries and household items more like a Dollar General selection store) and Walmart Market(30-40,000 sq ft full size grocery store only) currently. If the columbia stores are going to be 30,000 then it sounds like the market concept. It would not suprise me if Wal Mart doesn't start buying out small local grocery chains to expand its Walmart Market grocery stores. What they sounded like they were going to do on Church was a small footprint super center type store like the Pelham Rd one I thought.

That is what they are proposing, but it has opposition and needed City Council approval, which seems unlikely. A 30,000 sf store would be more in keeping with the Haynie-Sirrine master plan, so they might change gears and go that route instead. Just conjecture though.

I do find it interesting that a garage was incorporated into the Columbia plan though. That would help with the Church St. plans as well.

Anyone know what's going in the old China Buffet location at Orchard Park? This is the old Garcia's location. They are cleaning it up/remodeling.

I actually drove by and asked one of the workers what they were putting in, and he just shrugged and said "Some other restaurant." He may have been the wrong person to ask because he was working on the entranceway roof. If I ever see a "white hat" while tooling around - THAT would be the person to ask. Will keep you advised. (Anyone guessing another mexican or chinese joint?) :-)

:yahoo: The Swamp Rabbit Trail effect for Cleveland Park Stables: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/DECEMBER/PlanningCommission/12-08-2011/Z-43-2011-1300WoodlandWay.pdf

I love what they're proposing! This is such a great location, and going to be such a great benefit for the trail and park! 30 units and parking underneath (this is based on the flooding potential, but it's great urban form and nice to see). :thumbsup:

:yahoo: The Swamp Rabbit Trail effect for Cleveland Park Stables: http://www.greenvill...WoodlandWay.pdf

I love what they're proposing! This is such a great location, and going to be such a great benefit for the trail and park! 30 units and parking underneath (this is based on the flooding potential, but it's great urban form and nice to see). :thumbsup:

Love this development! :good: :good:

I had a feeling this project might show up on here.

I am the developer for this project and we still have a lot of hurdles to get over before this thing becomes a reality.

I held a meeting last Thursday night at the Cain Halter YMCA to gauge the attitude toward this project from those living in a three block radius.

We had a turn out of about 43 concerned people but for the most part it was received much better than I could have hoped. There will still be some opposition but I am hoping to keep it to a minimum with information and some open communication between me and the residents.

The project still has to get through the rezoning and I really do believe it is not only good for the neighborhood but the city as a whole, but without that rezoning this project cannot move forward.

I hope to have a website up in the next couple of weeks which will hopefully help me market the project as well as gauge the interest from potential tenants.

For this project to work I will be looking at the highest rental rates in Greenville. The high rental rates are due to the flood plain issues, Extremely high land cost, and intentionally keeping the number of units low so that the project would fit into the neighborhood without overloading it.

A two bedroom unit will most likely be in the $1,700 a month range but these will be designed to look and feel as little like apartments as possible. I do not think this would work with 80 to a 100 units but I am gambling a lot that there are 30 people willing/able/ and excited about being in a unique development in that location.

I would love to hear some opinions on if the price point works, as well as any other ideas that might could work.

The unit size is still a moving target but it appears that the 1 bedroom will but a little over 900sqft. The two bedrooms will about 1250-1300sqft and the 3 bedrooms will be from 1350 to maybe one that is 1500.

About the highest price point for units in a complex of any kind is $1.25 per foot up to $1.30. You will find some condo units and top floor space on main st going for higher. I will be looking at $1.55 to a $1.60 per sqft so this is raising the bar significantly.

I am not sure what the asking price will be for the 100 East Development, but I know he got a pretty good deal on the land and I also know that them being able to go vertical will make the construction process cheaper. He might be balancing some of that out putting a pool on the roof but I am not sure.

I am working on a very basic website at the moment that should be up in about a week and hopefully I will be able to judge what kind of response people have to this price point with this location.

By the way, I would happily take any suggestions regarding names. I was going to use Cleveland Park Stables but that kind of rolls off the tongue like a bag of bricks.

By the way, I would happily take any suggestions regarding names. I was going to use Cleveland Park Stables but that kind of rolls off the tongue like a bag of bricks.

Something with "House," "Lodge," or "Manor" could work. Utilizing any the surrounding landmarks would be nice. "Woodland Way," "Fernwood," "Park," "Reedy," "Cleveland," or "Forest." Is this property not located in the Cleveland Forest neighborhood? Combine any of these words for a variety of potential names.