New Greenville developments

gs3

Yeah I had the same concerns about the term Stables but I thought everything that had the term of residential unit sounded kinda off.

Also the current trend for higher end properties is having it named as a destination as apposed to a complex which I tend to like.

Well reserving Park Stables only cost me fifteen dollars so I am still open, and I do like the Paddocks name. However I would really like to keep some nod to the history of the spot which has always revolved around horses.

GreenvilleARC, have you considered a mixed-use development on the site? Something like the Twigs shop and café behind Haywood Mall would fit very well into the roadside portion of your building. I'm imagining an attractive café/pub/restaurant (with an outdoor patio overlooking the river and trail?) and a small curiosity shop selling local art, antiques, handmade crafts, clothing, and/or unique garden-related items.

Yeah I had the same concerns about the term Stables but I thought everything that had the term of residential unit sounded kinda off.

Also the current trend for higher end properties is having it named as a destination as apposed to a complex which I tend to like.

Well reserving Park Stables only cost me fifteen dollars so I am still open, and I do like the Paddocks name. However I would really like to keep some nod to the history of the spot which has always revolved around horses.

Both "gait" and "bridle" seem like they could work into the name.

I'd like to second Skyliners idea of a cafe. I imagine one space only for a cafe.....outdoor seating......a great breakfast / Sunday morning place.....bloodies and mimosas. Something like a La Madeleine. The demographic is certainly there with the homes in the area as well as the the younger / disposable income group that visit both the dog park and jog / cycle the trail. We've left the dog park many mornings with friends to meet at Mary Beth's for laid back lounging and indulging. The look of your development seems ready made for a great cafe with character.

Edited by gsupstate

Yes, I have considered some light retail element for this project, and I agree that I it would be a great success. However I think if I proposed something like that it would never make it through rezoning as the current residents already feel intruded on by all the pedestrian, bike and car traffic that area generates. That area is really a very delicate balancing act and it is hard to determine what will tip the scales.

Personally I would love to see a small coffee, bakery, restaurant on that site as well, but with my relatively small footprint I have to work with because of the flood way, flood zone, and sewer easement make for a tight squeeze already.

It is still obvious that this project will have some changes but I think what we have is a solid foundation and we will see what branches out from that.

... I do like the Paddocks name. However I would really like to keep some nod to the history of the spot which has always revolved around horses.

Well, if you find it sticking in your mind anyway, I would shorten it to the singular form. Technically a paddock is an enclosed (i.e., fenced) field for exercising or grazing horses, but paddocks often are adjacent to stables, so "Paddock at the Park" (or perhaps just "Parkside Paddock") might suggest/evoke the green space incorporated within and around the development and even hint at the site's previous use as a stable. It would fit nicely with the architecture you are planning.

Both "gait" and "bridle" seem like they could work into the name.

I'd like to second Skyliners idea of a cafe. I imagine one space only for a cafe.....outdoor seating......a great breakfast / Sunday morning place.....bloodies and mimosas. Something like a La Madeleine. The demographic is certainly there with the homes in the area as well as the the younger / disposable income group that visit both the dog park and jog / cycle the trail. We've left the dog park many mornings with friends to meet at Mary Beth's for laid back lounging and indulging. The look of your development seems ready made for a great cafe with character.

I think you're onto something there. Rather than using "lodge," "house," or "manor," perhaps something like "hall" would work well instead. "Canter Hall," "Gallop Hall," "Dressage Hall," "Livery Hall," "Parkside Livery," "Saddlewood Hall," "Hitching Post Hall," etc...

Well, if you find it sticking in your mind anyway, I would shorten it to the singular form. Technically a paddock is an enclosed (i.e., fenced) field for exercising or grazing horses, but paddocks often are adjacent to stables, so "Paddock at the Park" (or perhaps just "Parkside Paddock") might suggest/evoke the green space incorporated within and around the development and even hint at the site's previous use as a stable. It would fit nicely with the architecture you are planning.

After you offered the paddocks at the park recommendation yesterday, I eventually thought of "Parkside Paddock" as well. I think it would work well, although I don't believe the name needs to reflect the history of the site. It should fit the neighborhood though.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know what's going on with the open field lot next to the SCBT building on Broad Street? There are several soil boaring/testing machines on site. I know at one time a six story office building was slated for the site. Don't know if that's still the case though.

FYI - seemed to be fill dirt on site when I drove by this morning. This was not there a few days ago.

Spinx is planning to expand if the City allows the adjacent property (with three homes) to be rezoned.

I don't like this. That Spinx is REALLY crowded and conjested, but this will be a HUGE step down from the potential that transit oriented zoning has. From mass transit to self transit... please REJECT!

Seems odd that we don't know what this is...

Drove by this morning. There was machines moving at 6am with lights and quite a few well dressed people walking around. Still no updates?

Also - anyone know when McBee is going to finish the retaining wall they are redoing? I think they have literally been working on it for 4-6 months. I would be pissed if I lived on one of the lower floors there.

Anyone know what's going in the old China Buffet location at Orchard Park? This is the old Garcia's location. They are cleaning it up/remodeling.

OK, the new sign is up - the old Garcia's (Yeah, it was a chinese buffet for much longer) on Orchard Park (Pelham and Haywood road area) is now a new restaurant called Ni Hao Grill. Here's the website:

http://nihaogrill.com/

Doesn't tell us much, but at least they spruced the old place up. Glad to see.

• 5 weeks later...