New Greenville developments

gs3

When you say "one storefront", I assume you're referring to The Brown Street Club. But, you must remember the businesses on the corners, too: Corner Pocket, Dixie's Tavern, DT's. They're also directly affected. Quality makeover, one block at a time. Laurens Street was first. Now this is complete.

Edited by GvilleSC

I walked down there the other day, must have been right before the arches were finished. The street definitely looks better than it did before and hopefully some businesses will take advantage it. One quibble - the "piano keys" sidewalk don't really look that much like piano keys. In fact, if I didn't know that's what they were supposed to be, I never would have guessed it. How much more difficult would it have been to duplicate an actual keyboard, with shorter black "keys" and proper spacing?

I walked down there the other day, must have been right before the arches were finished. The street definitely looks better than it did before and hopefully some businesses will take advantage it. One quibble - the "piano keys" sidewalk don't really look that much like piano keys. In fact, if I didn't know that's what they were supposed to be, I never would have guessed it. How much more difficult would it have been to duplicate an actual keyboard, with shorter black "keys" and proper spacing?

From the start, I assumed that black granite or something similar would be inlaid amongst the concrete. In the end, it's simply scored and painted. In the end, everything else attracts so much attention that I don't think too much focus is placed on the sidewalk. But I agree, it's not the easiest intention to understand based on the abstract implementation.

I know there are some members on this site who are proponents of this project and I would like to extend the invitation to anyone who would like to join me in stepping in front of the firing squad next Thursday and make an argument for well thought out urban development versus decisions based on fear and a NIMBY attitude.

I think the neighboorhood has all the right in the world to let their feelings be known and their opinions considered. Likewise, if the planning commission truly believes that this project is not good for the area I have no problem with them rejecting the project. I do have a problem with those elected to be the cities forward thinking and future planning vangaurd caving to public opinion. I know I am so vested in this deal at this point that it is hard for me to have a objective view point but I do not see how anyone could look at this property with an impartial eye and say that it should only be residential single family.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting together and talking about some possible arguments that could be put forth in favor of a higher density use on this unique property, I would love to get together somewhere downtown next tuesday evening to discuss.

Also if anyone besides me is dumb enough...errr I mean feels so pationatly about this issue that they would like to speak out in favor of it at the public hearing then that would be welcomed as well.

Feel free to IM me if interested.

Thanks

So what happened on 2/9? Did the Planning Commssion approve, reject or postpone the vote?

One quibble - the "piano keys" sidewalk don't really look that much like piano keys. In fact, if I didn't know that's what they were supposed to be, I never would have guessed it. How much more difficult would it have been to duplicate an actual keyboard, with shorter black "keys" and proper spacing?

EXACTLY! That was one of my disappointments with the project. It just looks like a striped sidewalk. Sad. All in the details.....

Wells Fargo building is going on the auction block March 5. In the Gville News article, there was this...

Joe Erwin, who founded the Erwin Penland advertising and marketing firm in Greenville, said signs of an economic downturn four years ago put a damper on his firm’s plans to announce a new building downtown.

Before the economy collapsed, plans had been drawn, an architect selected and a developer lined up — “the whole package,” Erwin said.

But then dark economic clouds appeared and his firm decided to wait, Erwin said.

“We chose to be more conservative four years ago. And am I glad we made that decision,” said Erwin, whose firm is a division of The Interpublic Group’s Hill Holliday network.

With 300 employees now scattered over three downtown buildings, Erwin said his growing firm needs more space. In the last few weeks, a company team has begun work on a long-term solution, he said.

With a minimum need of 100,000 square feet, a new building still is an option, he said. But as part of a publicly held company that is responsible to stockholders, “We’ve got to look at all the options,” Erwin said.

“That doesn’t mean that we have to choose the lowest-cost solution,” he said. “The suburbs do represent, in most cases, a lower-cost solution. But it means we definitely should, and will, look at those possibilities.”

Does anyone know for certain what their original plans were?

Edited by vicupstate

I highly doubt they would move out of DT under any circumstances. The creativity of advertising practically demands they have a more dynamic location than the suburbs can usually provide.

I would love to see them move to a new building inRiverplace, so that the next phase could be completed. I'm so tired of the 'unfinished' look of the vacant riverside River Street lot. And with Reedy Square coming down the road, it needs to be filled.

My first choice for EP would be Riverplace, but if not there, maybe they could pair up with JHM and build a mixed use project (Hotel, office, retail) on JHM's newly purchased Washington St. parcel.

I like the Washington Street idea as part of a mixed use project with the new hotel by JHM. I would actually prefer a downtown location over something in the West End, since I view downtown as more of the corporate/big business area. Either would obviously work though.

According to this, the Commission has not decided the fate of the Cleveland Park rental project

http://www.gsabusine...ntal-properties

There seems to be some ambiguity in the article. While it does say that "[the] commission will revisit the applications at its March 8 meeting," it later says of that specific project, "The Planning Commission unanimously denied the rezoning at its February meeting."

• 2 weeks later...

I can't confirm either, but someone told me that the Toys R Us on Haywood already closed. Is that true? I thought they'd wait until their new space was available before they shut their doors, but maybe their lease was up? I also heard that the Bilo on South Pleasantburg, near Greenville Tech/Nicholtown has also shut its doors.