New Greenville developments

gs3

Your guess is as good as mine sadly. Maybe something Greenville Hospital System related??? :dontknow: Only signage I saw on site were the ones for Brasfield and Gorrie. Here are a few pics:

013-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

I was told by a construction worker that it's going to be either a VA Hospital or Clinic. I talked to someone that works for the VA and they confirmed its theirs but didn't say if it was a clinic or hospital and said they're expecting to move in next March.

I was told by a construction worker that it's going to be either a VA Hospital or Clinic. I talked to someone that works for the VA and they confirmed its theirs but didn't say if it was a clinic or hospital and said they're expecting to move in next March.

I saw the plans on line a while back, but now I can't seem to find them, but I did find this:

Senator Graham Press Releases

Contact: Tate Zeigler (202-224-5972) or Kevin Bishop (864-250-1417)

Date: 09/30/2011

Graham Applauds New VA Clinic in Greenville

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) today said he was very pleased that the Department of Veterans Affairs has completed the negotiations and signed the contract to construct a new VA outpatient clinic in Greenville.

“South Carolina has one of the highest percentages of veterans of any state in the nation,” said Graham. “With an aging population, we need to ensure they are able to receive the treatment and care they have earned.”

Facts on the new facility:

• The new one-story facility costs $3.8 million and will be constructed on approximately 3.2 acres of land in accordance with Veterans Health Administration specifications and the state of South Carolina requirements.

• The new clinic when completed will have over 50,000 square feet of clinic space and more than 380 parking spaces.

• The new clinic which replaces the existing clinic located at 3510 Augusta Road, will allow for approximately 16,000 additional Veterans to receive their healthcare.

• The new clinic site will include state of the art equipment, as well as additional staffing to ensure that Veterans receive the very best care, treatment and services.

• The new clinic will continue to offer Primary Care, Mental Health, and some specialty services.

• The anticipated date of occupancy at the new site is the spring of 2013.

Here's Spinx's proposal for a "downtown market" across from Heritage Green. It's really hard to tell what it will be like, although they do seem to have done their homework and tried hard to make an appropriate proposal. I wonder what the folks of Hampton-Pinckney will have to say about this?

http://www.greenvill...56ButlerAve.pdf

Edited by GvilleSC

Here's Spinx's proposal for a "downtown market" across from Heritage Green. It's really hard to tell what it will be like, although they do seem to have done their homework and tried hard to make an appropriate proposal. I wonder what the folks of Hampton-Pinckney will have to say about this?

It looks like an interesting proposal. Obviously, Spinx is trying to reassure the nearby residents about the market, but I don't quite understand why there would be any big fuss over this to start with. It is a commercial use replacing another commercial use on one of the main roads into downtown. It is surrounded by asphalt and auto traffic. And it is right at the edge of Hampton-Pinckney anyway. I wouldn't consider the property part of the district to begin with.

It looks like an interesting proposal. Obviously, Spinx is trying to reassure the nearby residents about the market, but I don't quite understand why there would be any big fuss over this to start with. It is a commercial use replacing another commercial use on one of the main roads into downtown. It is surrounded by asphalt and auto traffic. And it is right at the edge of Hampton-Pinckney anyway. I wouldn't consider the property part of the district to begin with.

Don't take this personally, but I'm guessing you have not attended many Planning Commission meetings or the like.

This is VERY close to H-P, and were this a run of the mill convenience store, it could potentially have a very negative impact. Pull out a map and then place the Salavation Army on Washington street and then the Salvation Army on Rutherford, Now place this store. Now mark the shortest distances between all of those map points. What is in the middle ? Hampton-Pinckney.

Forbidding the sale of singles and Malt Liquor are exactly in place for that reason.

More than a few convenience stores have been a major negative impact on the surrounding area. To my knowledge, Sphinx stores don't fit that profile.

All commercial uses are NOT the same, thus why the various classifications exist. If the impact of the change of use was not significant, then a zoning change would not be required in the first place.

Edited by vicupstate

Other activity included the recent sale of Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road, Greenville’s first shopping center, built in 1948. Preliminary plans are to redevelop the village-like center as a Publix-anchored complex with inclusion of a Chick-fil-A restaurant.

Edited by citylife

Other activity included the recent sale of Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road, Greenville’s first shopping center, built in 1948. Preliminary plans are to redevelop the village-like center as a Publix-anchored complex with inclusion of a Chick-fil-A restaurant.

Lewis plaza NEEDS some mixed use components! I wonder If they will put the Publix at the rear where Earth Fare used to be? The Dollar General/Old Bilo Space seems to small and poorly located for such parking needs... I hope they preserve a lot of the old buildings.

Don't take this personally, but I'm guessing you have not attended many Planning Commission meetings or the like.

This is VERY close to H-P, and were this a run of the mill convenience store, it could potentially have a very negative impact. Pull out a map and then place the Salavation Army on Washington street and then the Salvation Army on Rutherford, Now place this store. Now mark the shortest distances between all of those map points. What is in the middle ? Hampton-Pinckney.

Forbidding the sale of singles and Malt Liquor are exactly in place for that reason.

More than a few convenience stores have been a major negative impact on the surrounding area. To my knowledge, Sphinx stores don't fit that profile.

All commercial uses are NOT the same, thus why the various classifications exist. If the impact of the change of use was not significant, then a zoning change would not be required in the first place.

Yeah, this would totally be worse for the neighborhood than a run-down, abandoned Meat-and-Three.

Yeah, this would totally be worse for the neighborhood than a run-down, abandoned Meat-and-Three.

No comparison between the two. One is largely benign, the other is POTENTIALLY very malignant. I don't think Spinx would allow that to happen, but the hypothetical was 'just any old conveneince store'. I know of numerous instances in several cities where a run down, poorly managed convenience store has brought down the area around it.

Again, I am not saying a Spinx store would become that, but that is the hypothetical question.

Long ago the Journal's TBA column kept making references to such plans for the Pete Hollis corridor. The tanking economy seemed to kill that off, at least for the time being. The multi-family project just north of the Hincappie project seems to have stalled too.

Personally, I would like to see the Spinx site become an extention of Heritage Green, with the Military musuem at Main & Academy relocating to that spot. An outdoor Veterans Memorial Park could be included too. That would be a great compliment to the current offerings at Heritage Green.

Personally, I would like to see the Spinx site become an extention of Heritage Green, with the Military musuem at Main & Academy relocating to that spot. An outdoor Veterans Memorial Park could be included too. That would be a great compliment to the current offerings at Heritage Green.

Hey, I think that's a great idea! I'd love to get the veterans monument moved from County Square, too. Having it sit adjacent to that parking lot is such a terrible situation, IMO. Redeveloping the entire Bell South block would be huge in connecting HG with Main. I'd love to see HG's green strip, as well as museums/theaters, extend on that block eastward...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the Journal, the Planning Commission did not have a quorum for this meeting, and will take up this on May 31, as I recall. Heritage neighborhood association has voted to opposed it as submitted. The article gave the impression that nearby residents are split on the idea.

The Journal also had an article on the new Burger restaurant proposed for McBee.

Speaking of Spinx, they are planning a new gas station on Laurens Road where the old Suzuki dealership is across from Hooters.

Oh and I support the Downtown Market Spinx because the company has done their homework with trying to make it fit in with the surrounding neighborhood plus it will fill a spot where an empty building currently sits.

Edited by citylife

Speaking of Spinx, they are planning a new gas station on Laurens Road where the old Suzuki dealership is across from Hooters.

Wish Spinx had good enough leadership to do a better setup on their site planning. They're going before the City for a variance on the layout. Why not just build it up to the street and put the pumps behind? From what I understand, they're planning a similar setup for the Spinx/BP on Augusta, with the store at the extreme rear of the site. Not impressed, Spinx. Hopefully they'll get denied on both.

Edited by GvilleSC