New Greenville developments

gs3

Dayspring Health & Rehab of Greenville broke ground last month on a 120-bed skilled nursing facility. 

The $8.2 million facility at 2 Griffith Road in Greenville is scheduled to open in March 2014. Dayspring Health & Rehab of Simpsonville has a location at 721 W. Curtis St. in Simpsonville.

The Greenville facility will include a 60-bed transitional care unit to serve the growing number of patients who require a higher level of rehabilitation as they transition from hospitals into the community, according to a news release.

The facility will include a 2,000-square-foot therapy room, physical therapy gym, four living rooms and four dining rooms. Spa-type shower rooms will be located in each wing.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told today by my barber that no leases are being renewed at Lewis Plaza and that it is planned to start demolition sometime this summer.

Other activity included the recent sale of Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road, Greenville’s first shopping center, built in 1948. Preliminary plans are to redevelop the village-like center as a Publix-anchored complex with inclusion of a Chick-fil-A restaurant.

Source: http://dsg.colliers....report=2614.pdf

I was told today by my barber that no leases are being renewed at Lewis Plaza and that it is planned to start demolition sometime this summer.

I hope they're smart with their demo plans and keep a good many of the existing storefronts, most important being the old post office building.

I hope they're smart with their demo plans and keep a good many of the existing storefronts, most important being the old post office building.

I agree- I recall getting a sandwich at the pharmacy when young and I still love the storefronts.  Rumor is that the post office building may be the only one slated to survive.  

They're tearing down Lewis Plaza to build a Publix?

There is already the downtown Publix, which is equidistant for Alta Vista neighborhoods; will it close?

I'm glad to be getting a Chick-fil-A but that means no Chick-fil-A downtown in the near future, I'd guess.

I hope that the new Publix development is at least pedestrian-friendly.

I heard that Wells Fargo is moving into the old post office building, but maybe not for a while still. Also, I go to that Dollar General all the time and there is nothing wrong with it, perfectly clean and convient store, an asset to the area.

While nothing may be wrong with it, it's a shame if Lewis Plaza becomes a mixed-use village and this one building (with great street frontage) is left standing without the slightest makeover. However, if the developer fails to produce a quality, mixed-use design, then it won't really matter. Time will telll.

Very disappointing to hear about the potential destruction of a well established retail center that I believe is more like "Main Street" than any other retail cluster outside of Downtown. Lewis Plaza has real charm and character as a small pedestrian-oriented shopping center amid a bustling corridor full of "upscale strip malls."

How shortsighted of the developer. This is a travesty. As one of GV's first shopping centers from the early suburban era, this place has charm. Most cities have saved these type of centers and populated them with upscale or at least trendy stores....think Rice Village, Cameron Village or even Friendly Center, which kept the old portion, and added new beside to extend the retail area. I certainly hope the city doesn't allow this to happen, but as what seems to be happening lately, I sure it will be allowed....shortsightedness seems to be in vogue in Greenville lately.

How shortsighted of the developer. This is a travesty. As one of GV's first shopping centers from the early suburban era, this place has charm. Most cities have saved these type of centers and populated them with upscale or at least trendy stores....think Rice Village, Cameron Village or even Friendly Center, which kept the old portion, and added new beside to extend the retail area. I certainly hope the city doesn't allow this to happen, but as what seems to be happening lately, I sure it will be allowed....shortsightedness seems to be in vogue in Greenville lately.

First, can I say how fitting it is that you're an Alabama fan.  

You have no clue what is going to happen to the development. Leases might not be renewed but it does not mean storefronts are being torn down. Its quite possible that major renovations will take place and stores including a Publix Greenwise. You have no vested interest here anymore, you're complaining about the city, complaining about how things are falling apart. Yet I have not seen any of this. You're criticism is not constructive. At the very least tell everybody exactly how things are going wrong so they can be fixed. 

• Like 1