New Greenville developments

gs3

On 2/24/2005 at 7:02 AM, vicupstate said:

Reedy's neighbors feel forgotten as growth booms downriver

Posted Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:38 pm

A group calling itself the "Jeremiah Project" hopes to turn the old Union Bleachery site on the banks of a Reedy River tributary into homes, offices and walking trails. Chromium will have to be cleaned from the ground first.

It took some time and it's not the "Jeremiah project", but land has become valuable enough to clean up a superfund site.   The location is key to it all.   https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/02/15/redevelopment-union-bleachery-mill-could-transform-part-greenville/6759666002/

8 hours ago, bikeoid said:

It took some time and it's not the "Jeremiah project", but land has become valuable enough to clean up a superfund site.   The location is key to it all.   https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/02/15/redevelopment-union-bleachery-mill-could-transform-part-greenville/6759666002/

This must be outside city limits...should it be annexed?  I think entire Sans Souci area should be pursued as well.   

The DRB agenda came out today and it is yet another month with nothing of real consequence on it. I looked back at everything since January 2020 and the only significant construction/renovation project in DT/WE in those 15 months was the Rhett St entertainment venue from back in May. At this point that might be dead or at least on ice until the pandemic is over.   The only other significant project citywide was an apartment complex on Woodruff Rd. from Feb. 2020.  Albeit, the County office building is outside of their review. 

With the pipeline having a 15 month lull, I would think construction jobs might start to dry up or maybe costs will contract at bit. 

Of course, the UCB building will be coming thru before too long, and perhaps the Allen Temple project, whatever that is.      

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, vicupstate said:

The DRB agenda came out today and it is yet another month with nothing of real consequence on it. I looked back at everything since January 2020 and the only significant construction/renovation project in DT/WE in those 15 months was the Rhett St entertainment venue from back in May. At this point that might be dead or at least on ice until the pandemic is over.   The only other significant project citywide was an apartment complex on Woodruff Rd. from Feb. 2020.  Albeit, the County office building is outside of their review. 

With the pipeline having a 15 month lull, I would think construction jobs might start to dry up or maybe costs will contract at bit. 

Of course, the UCB building will be coming thru before too long, and perhaps the Allen Temple project, whatever that is.      

Spartanburg won’t stop hogging it all. :angry: 

On 9/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, gman430 said:

24A116B4-8475-462D-8474-8D46B1CAE4EF.jpeg

On 9/3/2019 at 1:37 PM, GVLover said:

Conceptual rendering for TWO by Bob Hughes, where ChartSpan is currently located. Considering ChartSpan is expanding (200-300 people), I wouldn’t be surprised if they commit to leasing space here. 

Link for more information and renderings:

http://romeoffice.us/#/eloise/

FF08F3F9-E67D-4403-B61B-704B5FC98317.jpeg

A238186D-BCD8-433E-89B1-590D653DA44A.jpeg

I realize this was merely conceptual and elements have changed dramatically since many of us initially learned of its existence, but I want to offer continued support for this design and encourage developers to relentlessly pursue opportunities leading to this project's actualization.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:35 AM, gman430 said:

Spartanburg won’t stop hogging it all. :angry: 

Obvious sarcasm gman430.  Have you been in both places recently?  Spartanburg is just starting to gain some momentum thanks to significant public investment while Greenville has been (and still is) bursting at the seams with explosive growth.  I am amazed by the number of new projects underway all over the region despite the pandemic, plus the fact that almost all of them in Greenville involve private investment.  Edited to add:  ...And thankfully they're not all manufacturing-related projects.

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 months later...

GREENVILLE - The city of Greenville is “exploring options” to sell its aging City Hall tower in the heart of downtown and move headquarters into an existing building along Falls Park.

The former headquarters of Bowater, between the Camperdown development and the new Grand Bohemian hotel is the potential new home, city spokeswoman Beth Brotherton said after The Post and Courier inquired following a May 24 City Council executive session.

“This is a once in a generation opportunity,” Mayor Knox White said in the statement. “Not only does the move to the Bowater Building put city employees and operations next to Greenville’s greatest natural resource, but it will also allow us to provide better customer service to citizens and those seeking to do business with us.”

The council will discuss options on the sale and move on June 7.

The tower, built almost half a century ago, would require $5.75 million in repair costs over the next eight years, Brotherton said.

The idea is to redevelop City Hall and bring more retail, office and affordable housing downtown, she said.

• Like 1

City Hall may relocate to Bowater building

I have long advocated for selling City Hall.  I would like to see the Bowater building be reconfigured to include ground floor retail, but maybe that would be done in this scenario anyway. 

There was suppose to be a study of all the city's office needs with the possibility of relocating the police department and the Municipal Court.   I wonder how that is going.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

LeMans Karting is apparently shutting down their location in Duncan, and is looking to relocate near downtown Greenville. It will be interesting to see where they end up. 

LeMans Karting to shut down Duncan location, owners eye downtown Greenville - UPSTATE BUSINESS JOURNAL

Interesting so they moved from near Greenville to near Spartanburg now they want to move back.

I guess it doesn't matter how much space you have if you are too far away. 

10 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Not sure where to put this, but this new, loosely called "mixed use" development seems massive in Fountain Inn

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/fountain-walk-a-15-building-mixed-use-facility-is-coming-to-fountain-inn/

fountain walk

Doesn't look very attractive in first couple of pics. Very bland and boring. Third night time pic looks better.

• 3 weeks later...

Greenville News has an article titled, "Development Interests spent $77,000 on County Council...." It's behind a pay-wall so I wasn't able to read it. 

I see an article today about a "hasty passage of county development rule..." Basically, County Council railroaded new land-development regulations that benefit developers and encourage sprawl.

Does anyone know if there is any relation between the two articles (i.e. did the County Council members that received money from development interests approve the new land-development regulations)? Are our county council representatives being bought by special interests? 

Edited by ingvegas
Punctuation

Development interests have made at least $77,000 in campaign contributions to the 12 members of the Greenville County Council since 2017, according to analysis of state records by The Greenville News.

As council members prepare for a final vote on a key land-development measure, The News analyzed how much these officials have reported receiving in campaign cash during the past two elections cycles from architects, builders, civil engineers, contractors, developers, home-security and landscaping businesses, land-holding companies, mortgage lenders, real estate agents and road-paving firms.

The review of campaign-finance reports submitted to the state Ethics Commission found:

► Development interests were the biggest source of campaign money for County Council members, accounting for nearly 35% of their overall contributions since 2017. The News was able to track the contributions based on the occupations of donors listed on reports filed with the Ethics Commission.

► County Council campaign fundraising soared during last year's election compared to 2018. 

The four incumbents and three newcomers who won their races in 2020 raised a combined $199,562, with $72,510 coming from development interests. In contrast, the five winning council candidates in 2018 raised only a combined $24,350, with $5,300 coming from development interests.

Only one of the seven council members elected last year, Mike Barnes, faced no opposition. Three of the five candidates who won in 2018 — Lynn Ballard, Joe Dill and Xanthene Norris — were unopposed.

► Councilman Steve Shaw, an attorney from Travelers Rest, spent the most to get elected last year. He invested $73,850 of his own money in his campaign. He also collected nearly $12,000 in campaign contributions, including $3,260 from development interests.

Shaw could not be reached by phone Monday, and he did not respond to a text message seeking comment.

Harrison and Tzouvelekas each said Monday that the campaign cash that they received from development interests plays no role in their consideration of revisions to the land-development rule known as Article 3.1.

The rule, which was approved in March 2018, was intended to slow urban sprawl but has instead led to costly court battles.

“That thought doesn’t even cross my mind," said Harrison, a former county planner who currently works as a real estate broker for NAI Earle Furman.

Tzouvelekas, who handles land acquisitions and sales at RealtyLink in Greenville, said the financial support that he received from development interests is no secret, and he said campaign contributions are not a factor in his approach to addressing the county's controversial Article 3.1 rule — "absolutely none."

"I am trying to figure out a balance between growing as much as we're growing and trying not to put a stop to it," Tzouvelekas said.

Ballard and Norris are the only council members who received no campaign contributions from development interests since 2017.

Reactions vary to campaign donations from development interests

The results of The News' analysis detailing the extent of campaign contributions to County Council members from development interests led to varying reactions.

"It looks bad," County Council Chairman Willis Meadows said Monday.

Meadows raised $4,000 for his successful reelection campaign in 2018, with $1,400 of that amount coming from development interests.

"I think councilmen spend too much money trying to get elected," Meadows said.

But Meadows said he doesn't believe campaign contributions influence the County Council's decisions.

"If you're an honorable person, it shouldn't make any difference," he said.

Two environmental critics of the land-use rule amendment on Tuesday's council agenda offered a different perspective.

The News' analysis represents "critical information for the public to know about what is influencing council members when they're taking votes that may affect their key donors," said Michael Martinez, an attorney with the South Carolina Environmental Law Project.

In a statement issued Monday, Upstate Forever executive director Andrea Cooper said residents who are concerned about over-development in Greenville County's rural areas "feel like they are being ignored."

Cooper urged council members to approve the staff's recommended changes to Article 3.1, which would require at least 30% percent of the property in rural subdivisions to be set aside as open space.

Developers' share of costs for road improvements at issue

The amendment sponsored by Harrison, Tzouvelekas and five other council members would cap the open space requirement at 25% for subdivisions featuring 1/2-acre lots.

Michael Dey, vice president of governmental affairs for the Homebuilders Association of Greenville, said it makes sense that developers and homebuilders have made ample campaign contributions to County Council members. He said the council oversees land-development regulations in the county as well as tax rates.

The council "has an outsized influence on their industry," Dey said.

Dey said he helped draft portions of the amendment to the land-development rule. He said the staff's recommendations requiring developers to widen roads near new housing communities could add up to $380,000 to the cost of a subdivision.

"If you call that the cure, it's worse than the disease," Dey said.

County Councilman Butch Kirven, who received $6,000 in contributions from development interests, said the proposed amendment to the land-development rule would increase the financial burden on taxpayers, "and in the meantime, they are going to be stuck with traffic and wrecks." Kirven said he's concerned the amendment would allow developers to duck the cost of necessary road improvements near new subdivisions.

"I've never seen in my almost 17 years on County Council where the private sector is actually writing the laws and giving it certain members of County Council and saying, 'Here, get this done,'" Kirven said. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/25/2021 at 6:52 AM, vicupstate said:

If you are an UP reader, that is olld news. Any word in the article on the buyer or their plans?

The owner's mailing address of this L shaped parcel listed on the tax record is the same as the mailing address on the small parcel is surrounds at the corner.  That mailing address is a private residence.  My guess is the person that owns that address is the owner of the 2 corporations  and owns the parcels.  If that is correct, then I would assume that development is coming soon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Article about USC Upstate's new chancellor says that they still want a presence in downtown Greenville. I can't read the full article, but others can find it here: https://www.postandcourier.com/spartanburg/news/usc-upstate-still-wants-downtown-greenville-expansion-chancellor-says/article_3587e5b6-82ae-11ec-afe0-a7bca944657d.html

Whether it is renting space, or purchasing a footprint of their own, it would be nice to have USC Upstate establish a presence in Greenville. I look forward to seeing where this conversation goes, and what type of program they would plan for the space.

• Like 4