New Greenville developments

gs3

I'm surprised no one else posted about the awesome Hubbell Lighting article in yesterday's (Sunday) Greenville News! :silly: There were renderings and great info on how the building will serve its purpose while creating a visual role model of sorts for the rest of Millennium Campus. The Building is a total of five stories tall and will have, "a curving, four-story glass wall [which at night] will make the Hubbell Lighting headquarters look like it's glowing from the inside." It will be built right next to I-85 so at least one side of the building will be highly visible to all travelers on the interstate. B)

Construction is expected to begin by this Fall and be completed by the end of 2006.

The building is $36 million and 175,000 square feet.

Complete Article - Minus the Renderings :(

Edited by Skyliner

Anyone see the article in the Greenville Journal about Greenville Mall?  Supposedly the guy in charge of the new Verde project told a group of about 500 people that the Greenville Mall is going to see a resurgence.  Anyone know of any plans??????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See the following:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=109253

Check out the Eastside Shopping thread for any posted info on those new developments. I know nothing other than the articles I've read and the little I've heard from others living over there. :)

Has anyone been to the new waterpark in Simpsonville yet? How would you rate it?

Families must move as townhomes demolished

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/05/1...05051664510.htm

By Paul Alongi

STAFF WRITER

More than 300 Greenville families will have to be relocated in the next year to make way for the demolition of Jesse Jackson Townhomes, a 53-year-old government housing project, according to Greenville Housing Authority Executive Director Mary Blackstone-Ross.

The authority received word today that it had won $20 million from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which allows the project to push forward, Blackstone-Ross said.

Residents will receive counseling to help them find new homes, she said.

The 342 townhomes will be replaced with more than 600 individual homes and townhomes that will be spread throughout Nicholtown, Blackstone-Ross said.

Finding affordable housing for these people will be difficult. They will not be able to move back in this neighborhood if they have to pay for the housing. The prices will be out of reach for all of them.

$106 MM / 682 homes = $155,000+ per home

That is more than the average price home in Greenville, which is around $135,000. Somehow this doesn't make good sense.

I heard the mayor himself say on the news that affordable housing would be put back in that area. Perhaps it will be a tierd set up, so that 400 of them are below the average while the remainder are above it? I'm sure they will work something out.

I think when the City says affordable housing they mean the 80,000-120,000 range. But I may be wrong, also I seem to remember seeing and article a while back that mentioned that the target market was first time home buyers and young professionals, and the elderly.

Thats about BT. And to give you some reference to what may happen there. All you have to do is look at what happened in the Viola community. Where a majority of the homes are priced at about $75 to $85 thousand dollars. And how do I know I used to live there.

What about the Shops at Ashton at Pelham and 85?  So far, CVS, Walgreens, Starbucks, and Spinx/Krystal have signed.  I also saw blueprints that included other retail spaces and a PF Changs.  Anyone else heard anything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's what P.F. Changs tells me:

Thank you for your note and inquiry. We are currently looking in the area but have not yet secured a site.

Have a wonderful day!

Tiffany Hamby

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Guest Relations

Did anybody make it to the ICAR Dedication at 3:30pm today?  I drove out that direction; however, I was turned away by GPD when I attempted to turn onto Millenium Boulevard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went through there last Friday. Around 5:30 the cones were gone at Laurens and at Salters. Quite a few people were driving though the site and checking it out.

We already know about the Bellagio Gordone condos at Montebello

bellagiogardone.jpg

But in todays atHome magazine in the Greenville Journal there is an ad for another condo project at Montebello, this one is called Palazzo Di Montebello.

I can't find a picture of this one, but there is one in the add, looks good

Fascinating! I had heard rumor quite awhile back of an Italian development (presumably connected with Villagio D'Montebello) cascading down the hill (Piney Mt.) behind Home Depot on North Pleasanburg Drive. This is supposed to be specialty shopping if the information was correct. :)

"Star Wars Episode III" is AWESOME! Now I need to see it at Camelot! I read another article about the new digital projection system. It said that Lucasfilms had representatives here who were pushing the work to open on time and to meet their specific standards. The article also stated that the closest screen like this is in Orlando, FL! B)

Here is a map that shows what land ICAR and Millenium Campus now consists of since Rosen is partnering with Verdea Development on some land. Notice that the combined campus in now on both sides of Laurens Rd and Both sides of I-85.

city_map.jpg