New Greenville developments

gs3

That is very interesting!  Talk about an urban supermarket.  I know that the Woolworth site will also include office and residential, along with the retail, but I had never imagined a new grocery store there as well.  Interesting indeed! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, very interesting. It would definitely be unusual for a grocery store to build without an adjacent parking lot. Especially in a urban area less than +1million.

Thanks!

I rather prefer the brick exterior over the limestone, myself.  That's a pitty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The limestone is to fit into the block better. By the time the thing is actually built, it may be brick again. :huh: I personally like the light color of limestone from a distance. :)

I overheard rumors last night that Publix has chosen the former Woolworth building at North Main and West Washington for a new store.  Publix has been building downtown stores, some atleast 28,800 square feet, in some of its markets in recent years, and it will not suprise me if they do here in Greenville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting, indeed. I know Publix had developed a couple of very quait little supermarkets around this size in Orlando; however, those had (for the most part) adequate parking. I'm not sure how this would work on Main Street unless they have a different concept in mind for this location and (perhaps) full service delivery.

Yes, very interesting. It would definitely be unusual for a grocery store to build without an adjacent parking lot.  Especially in a urban area less than +1million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lacking an adjacent parking lot (or parking deck) may be a reason not to have a supermarket there in the first place. I think something like CVS or Walgreen's would be a much better tenant there instead.

There's a vacant lot on North Main which is across the street from Thomas McAfee. This was a former Winn Dixie store that was demolished decades ago. (You can still see some of the cement blocks marking out the outer walls.) I think a supermarket, Bi-Lo or Publix, would be a great fit here.

The limestone is to fit into the block better.  By the time the thing is actually built, it may be brick again. :huh:  I personally like the light color of limestone from a distance. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True - there's still time and changes are a constant. I understand what you're saying about it fitting the block, though.

Nothing has been made public yet. The Gateway site is definitely one of the top picks for the Federal Courthouse, but it doesn't have to be 20+ stories to be built there. The site is actually larger than it seems and I think a courthouse would want more space per floor than is needed for office or residential.

That being said, I would rather see it be something very tall. Consider the height of The Tower at Falls adn Broad (200,000sf) and the Federal Courthouse (247,000) would seem an easy 15+ story highrise. I would love to see a copper or gold dome on top of it. :)

Other have mentioned The Point development, well Hughes Investments is working on Centre Pointe in the same general area area.  It is along I-385.

Centerpointe

Centerpoint%20Development.jpg

You may know the site, this is where Charter Communications is now.

New%20Charter%20Communications%20Building.jpg

Brad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow I never realized before that the large building in the master plan rendering is actually the Charter Communications building itself. :) That is a nice concept for Mauldin. Someday I hope to see it be fulfilled.

GSA Business has a artilce on Tower Homes of Rock Hill, they are doing the Biltmore Oaks and Heritage Crest projects in Haynie Sirrine.

Interesting development, Heritage Crest on Haynie St. (which will be behind Scott Tower i think) is a multi story condo priced $75,000 - $140,000.

Edited by Brad Toy

The Greenville News has an article in today's (Thursday) paper about the Hyatt Regency Hotel.  Hyatt Corp. plans to pay off the mortgage debt owed, and also will spend about $5 million on renovation that is expected to boost the average room cost by $20 and bring rooms up to the standard of Poinsett Hotel. :)

Hyatt payment sets stage for renovation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting read. I am glad that the Hyatt will be staying in downtown, and I look forward to the renovations they make. When are they supposed to begin making improvements, and when are the renovations supposed to be complete?

I am ready for more downtown hotels, namely nicer ones. I understand that we need to cater to everyone, thus the need for the Holiday Inn Express, but I was a bit surprised that a Hampton Inn was chosen for such a prime location in the West End. I suppose I had envisioned something a little nicer, like a Hilton or Marriott. Anyone else have any thoughts on the Hampton Inn?

Business travelers seem to use Hampton Inns and Residence Inn type chains instead of the pricier Hilton and Marriott lines these days. Only top execs seem to rate the others. This will feel that demand very well. Besides, it will by far be the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever seen.

Personally, th Hilton at the Haywood Mall area is probably hurting. The market has been soft for awhile and new office construction has shifted downtown.

Business travelers seem to use Hampton Inns and Residence Inn type chains instead of the pricier Hilton and Marriott lines these days.  Only top execs seem to rate the others.  This will feel that demand very well.  Besides, it will by far be the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever seen.

Personally, th Hilton at the Haywood Mall area is probably hurting.  The market has been soft for awhile and new office construction has shifted downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I consider Hampton Inn on par with Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn. Certainly not bad, and like someone else said, it fills a need for many business travelers out there.

I have not seen the plans for the Hampton Inn at Falls Park, so I shouldn't comment on its quality. I suppose I was just surprised that a fairly standard hotel is being built in such a prime location. That area will only increase in desirability, but I am sure the city has made sure that the Hampton Inn is aesthetically pleasing and fits into the general landscape of the area.

I suppose they will be finished by the end of the year, yes?

It is a Hampton Inn and Suites, it is supposed to be some what nicer than a regular Hampton Inn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^There is a rendering somewhere in either this thread or another thread in this room. I thought it looked great.

In the Greenville Journal that is out late today:

** Expect an announcement within a week or two on a huge McBee Ave. development that could include a Publix supermarket, condos, retail and office space. City council met with the developers in a closed-door meeting Monday night.

** The bottom floor of Poinsett Corners may get a bridal shop.

** Fresh Market is looking to add a second store in Greenville, but is not even close to a site or time to open. Greenville would only be the fourth city to have two.

** Owners of a small row of buildings in the West End want permission to tear them down. They are two blocks from the new stadium.

** Cover story on Taylors incorporation. Nothing new but it did state Greer has added 1,100 acres since 2001 through annexations

** The Old Firehouse that houses the West End Coffee place will be incorporated into the stadium. It will sell tickets and souvenirs. The Coffee roaster place will relocate across the street.

** The stadium's project director HOPES to get the 3 million bricks needed for the stadium from a closed mill in the area.

** Tours will be given during the month of June for the Conestee Park that is being developed. Contact Gary Hyndman at 679-1226 or [email protected]

That is great news about a potential downtown supermarket. A Trader Joe's would be my ideal, but since they are not in the southeast, I will certainly settle for a Publix. I hope they make it "urban" and don't build it too big. We don't need for a supermarket to dominate the area.

Edited by Greenville

Business travelers seem to use Hampton Inns and Residence Inn type chains instead of the pricier Hilton and Marriott lines these days.  Only top execs seem to rate the others.  This will feel that demand very well.  Besides, it will by far be the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever seen.

Personally, th Hilton at the Haywood Mall area is probably hurting.  The market has been soft for awhile and new office construction has shifted downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just over at the Hilton today to do some filming of a graduation ceremony. It seemed a very nice place for conferences or other such meetings. I've noticed that in that particular area, being very close to Haywood Mall, businesses are not doing very bad at all, though I don't know exactly what the statistics are for the Hilton. :)

** The stadium's project director HOPES to get the 3 million bricks needed for the stadium from a closed mill in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be awesome if they could somehow succeed in getting these old bricks for the new ballpark.

Just to give you an idea of what it would look like, check out the Shoppes at Mills Mill (Port City Java / BidZerk / Poinsett Cleaners / Subway). Some old salvaged bricks were used to create the facade of the new modern construction of the shoppes. It looks great!

Edited by RestedTraveler

I know you Greenvillians stay abreast on proposed developments in the city, but I haven't read anything about the tentatively-named Cleveland Park West on the forum. The Greenville News mentioned it in a recent article. So what's the likelihood of this coming into fruition within the foreseeable future?