New Greenville developments

gs3

Driving around DT today, I noticed that there is a Public Hearing Notice posted on a large one story warehouse building on the north side of McBee where it intersects Academy. It is pretty sizeable building. I think the notice was for either the Historic Preservation Commission or Design Review. This building is in the same block as that 5+ story building that has senior housing. That building itself had a Public Hearing notice just a couple of months ago.

Does anyone know what is going on with either of these buildings?

The project at the corner of Main & McBee at the old Kress Building appears to be gaining some steam.

KDS Commercial Property Services says it hopes to have an official announcement in the near future.

KDS has been approached by a number of prospective tennants for the office space as well as prospective retail tennants. The delay has been that KDS is searching for the right combination of Class-A Retail tennants, or, as they put it, "trolling for the big fish." to make the project successful. Evidently, the fish are biting ;)

Source: GSA Business, Monday, June 13, 2005, page 1.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Is the old Kress building the one with the red and white canopy? I remember being a teenager when Robby's was there (an overstock store for Champs sporting goods). I have fond memories of going there with my dad. :)

If I am thinking of the correct building, it seems to be a very large structure. That is a prime location and I hope KDS finds suitable tenants for it. That is certainly a big hole in downtown, and it will be great once it is filled in.

Edited by Greenville

Is the old Kress building the one with the red and white canopy?  I remember being a teenager when Robby's was there (an overstock store for Champs sporting goods).  I have fond memories of going there with my dad.  :)

If I am thinking of the correct building, it seems to be a very large structure.  That is a prime location and I hope KDS finds suitable tenants for it.  That is certainly a big hole in downtown, and it will be great once it is filled in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The earlier post should have stated " the Kress building site". This is the vacant space left from the demolition of the Kress building. It is next to Wachovia Plaza (close to Quiznozo's Subs).

It sounds like you are referring to the old Woolworth building. I'm glad to hear that the developers are holding out for a "big fish" retailer. Getting the Publix down the street should help draw one in.

The earlier post should have stated " the Kress building site".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Indeed. "My bad." The old Kress building is long gone, replaced by a nice plywood wall covered with various pieces of "art," such as the masterpiece, "Band of One," etc. :)

Yes - it sounds as if you are referring to the old Woolworth. Somethings in the works for that site too...if I recall, the talk is of a mixed-use development including a movie theatre or dinner theatre, etc. which shows avant garde films.

I think it would be right to tear down the old Woolworth building to make way for something along the line of the Piazza at Bergamo and the Richland. I like the Italian architecture and that location definitely needs a multi-story development, preferrably a mixed-use highrise. :)

Has anyone realized just how much these new projects are going to spread the "Main Street feel" further and further out, encompassing the entire CBD eventually? The new Cleveland Park West will certainly do wonders for the westside area, along with the newly released West Washington Street Master Plan, and the ongoing West End developments around the new ballpark, which are close to RiverPlace and Falls Park. The McBee development will anchor a major spot along the route to the Greenville Zoo, Cleveland Park, and the Richland. The beautification in front of Liberty Square will create a more pedestrian-friendly route between Main Street and the Bi-Lo Center. I could go on, but you get the idea. ^_^

Thanks for clarifying the Kress site. I know exactly where you are talking about (who could miss the interesting children's art along those walls?). That is certainly a good site for someone/something.

I am glad that the old Woolworth building is getting some attention as well. I really want to see something great go there, as it is a fairly large space (even if they have to tear it down and start over).

When will we know something about the old Kimbrell's furniture building? Didn't someone want to tear it down and build something else there, but received some resistance from the city because it might be a "historic" building? BTW, I don't see how that ugly building is "historic" enough to prevent it from being torn down!

They say the facade has "European Character" Myself I don't see it. It's an eyesore and if they dont tear it down, maybe the termites will bring it down, lol. I think just because somerhing is built a long time ago doesn't necessarily make it "historical" It should have some signifigance, and this building has none at all.

Or at least look good as you walk by. I think any architect in town could come up with something better than that thing. "Eyesore" indeed! We can't let the past become a stumbling block in the way of progression. I have a feeling it will eventually come down when a developer presents an idea the preservation commitee can't resist. :huh:

I think that if it were restored and given an uplift, then it could be attractive and quite nice. But i'm with you. It's a single building by itself and honestly it would look silly next to a high rise or any other developement-only becuse it's alone. If it were up or down main st and in an area with other old buildings, go for it, SAVE IT, but not where it is now. JMO

Does anyone know exactly what is going on infront of the Liberty square buildings? From what I can see it looks like one small building being built? What is it and what is in the works?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good source told me it's a Starbucks. Makes sense....perfect spot for coffee amid all the offices of Liberty and Landmark, and across from the Hyatt.

A good source told me it's a Starbucks.  Makes sense....perfect spot for coffee amid all the offices of Liberty and Landmark, and across from the Hyatt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting....I wonder why they haven't instantly thrown their sign/banner up there like they've done everywhere else? :whistling:

It does look to be taking shape as if it is a Starbucks or some other food/drink offering though.

I asked the kind folks at the Starbucks on Haywood Road this evening about this rumored downtown location. They hadn't heard anything about it. From what they advised there are only two new Starbucks coming soon to the area: One in Greer on Wade-Hampton, and One at Cherrydale Plaza.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I remember when the city council voted on this project awhile back. It was described as a convenience store by the Journal. I assume that means a drive thru coffee/newsstand type place to serve commuters coming into downtown and the two Liberty buildings. As long as it is designed well, and I can't imagine it not being, it should be a positive.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about the Ice Skating Rink for Piazza Bergamo? I think it was put on ice, pardon the pun, last year, with the idea of making it a reality this winter. Anyone else heard anything on that?

BTW, has anyone heard anything about the Ice Skating Rink for Piazza Bergamo?  I think it was put on ice, pardon the pun, last year, with the idea of making it a reality this winter.  Anyone else heard anything on that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard nothing. I kept going downtown and going downtown and going downtown expecting/hoping to see it last Winter, but it never materialized. I'd love to take my little girl skating. :) It should definitely be doable. If they can put an Ice Rink in the middle of Downtown Disney Westside during the Orlando Winters, then one should work here :thumbsup:

One in Greer on Wade-Hampton, and One at Cherrydale Plaza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Cherrydale Plaza? Don't you mean Cherrydale Point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She probably did mean Cherrydale Point, but she said specifically, "Cherrydale Plaza." Maybe she's referring to one of the outparcels or one of the other little stip centers that have been built nearby?

Edited by RestedTraveler

BTW. That would be a good location for a starbuck's. You know with montebello and those folks on paris mountain and all. As well as all the other developement

going on around there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention us poor folks up here in Travelers Rest and Cherrydale's proximity to Furman. Now if Port City Java would just open up nearby, too (addicted to Blackberry Slushin' Joe, I am).

During the Winter holidays several years ago. It was in the old Stagecoach factory behind the Peace Center. There was also one built inside a tent at Piazza Begamo sometime back. I definitely hope this recent plan doesn't slip away. That would be another star for Greenville's claim on quality living. :thumbsup: