New Greenville developments

gs3

Plex Indoor Sports plans to build an $8 Million Dollar Facility in Greenville, similar to the one they have in Columbia.

Source: WYFF-4: http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4622761/detail.html

Video: http://mfile.akamai.com/12936/wmv/vod.ibsy...622967.200k.asx

The idea is not to compete with any of the GCRD Parks or other facilities (such as the proposed Kroc Center), but to fill voids.

If the first PLEX in Greenville is a success, the owner plans to build a second.

Should be interesting!

Edited by RestedTraveler

Plex Indoor Sports plans to build an $8 Million Dollar Facility in Greenville, similar to the one they have in Columbia.

Source:  WYFF-4:  http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4622761/detail.html

Video:  http://mfile.akamai.com/12936/wmv/vod.ibsy...622967.200k.asx

The idea is not to compete with any of the GCRD Parks or other facilities (such as the proposed Kroc Center), but to fill voids.

If the first PLEX in Greenville is a success, the owner plans to build a second.

Should be interesting!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RT, any idea where they are planning to build it? Looks pretty cool! B)

There's a story in the Greenville News this morning about the new projects going on.  It also includes a map.

Not as comprehensive of a list as this thread, but informational none the less. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea - they seem to have left out the proposed tower developments and the Federal Court House project and are focusing on things that are impacting everyone's lives. It's a good piece though. It's nice to see that other cities are looking to Greenville as an example :thumbsup:

Yea - they seem to have left out the proposed tower developments and the Federal Court House project and are focusing on things that are impacting everyone's lives.  It's a good piece though.  It's nice to see that other cities are looking to Greenville as an example  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed a good list, but their gaps are why we are here :)

Yea - they seem to have left out the proposed tower developments and the Federal Court House project and are focusing on things that are impacting everyone's lives.  It's a good piece though.  It's nice to see that other cities are looking to Greenville as an example  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was pretty neat the way they used the flashing dots on the web. Just think if they had included ALL projects (retail, public, housing, etc). The entire city of Greenville would have been one BIG flashing dot! :lol:

The Plex idea looks to be very interesting.  If it is going to be larger than Columbia's, I wonder if that would include more features such as an ice rink (ice hockey fanatic here), but I will be happy with a place to play lacrosse and inline hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An ice rink was the very first thing I heard regarding the Plex development in Greenville. This will certainly be a welcome addition to the many other developments (esp. residential and retail) happening all around the I-85/I-385 interchange. :)

I saw a sign for a development today that I had not heard about, and grading is already started, maybe someone knows more, if not I will investigate and get back to you.

It is on Batesville Rd. near the Parkway in front of the Parkway Commons office park.

Called the Regency Commons and it was a mix of office and retail condos set up to look like a small town center with 2 story buildings. The rendering was very nice looking. Anyone know more?

Tidbits:

** If I remember correctly, June 30th is the deadline for proposals on the city hall plaza area / old city hall replica RFP. Can anyone confirm that? Any rumors on any submissions? This one should be very interesting.

** The city is about to start work on North Main St. between Elford and Academy. I think they are adding landscaping, but does anyone know if they are also adding angle parking or reducing it to two lanes?

** On Cleveland Street just before it crosses the Reedy, there is a sign about an "urban forest" site. This is the area that connects the Falls Park to Cleveland Park. I could read everything on the sign. Anyone know more?

I was just curious about what people thought:

Should the city continue the feel of Main Street south to the WestEnd? or should they leave it the way it is with parallel parking and a center lane?

I have mixed feelings. I would like to see the diagonal parking and two lanes continue infront of City Hall and down to Augusta St, but I also think that it sets the two areas apart and makes them two "districts" in downtown... I think that they should both have they own identity, but when the Main St feel stops, so do some people and they turn around...

Should the city continue the feel of Main Street south to the WestEnd? or should they leave it the way it is with parallel parking and a center lane?

I have mixed feelings. I would like to see the diagonal parking and two lanes continue infront of City Hall and down to Augusta St, but I also think that it sets the two areas apart and makes them two "districts" in downtown... I think that they should both have they own identity, but when the Main St feel stops, so do some people and they turn around...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't the West End already set up like that? I seem to remember diagonal parking in front of Rick Erwin's all the way to the ballpark. Not quite sure though. :huh:

Isn't the West End already set up like that?  I seem to remember diagonal parking in front of Rick Erwin's all the way to the ballpark.  Not quite sure though. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is diagonal parking, but only on that side. That's until you get to the light

then it is that way all the way up to the ballpark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's Bump-Out (Diagonal) parking all the way down Main (formerly Pendleton) to the railroad tracks just before you get to the ballpark site.

My own thoughts are that it should continue all the way to Stone Avenue to the North and to the West End Coffee (Ballpark) corner. I think the North Main Capital Improvement Project (or whatever the signs say) means that the bump-out parking and landscaping is coming between College and Academy on North Main soon, too.

In the TBA section of todays Greenville Journal it is mentioned that a national chain restaurant has signed a lease to occupy the restuarant in the first riverplace building. Which restaurant hasn't been announced but it is not KFC.

If you haven't seen the plans for that spot, it is a two story restaurant, part level with main st. and part level with the Reedy River.