New Greenville developments

gs3

Moving Bi-Lo would probably be a good thing. I would like to see a store with more choices in downtown.

That's interesting about Publix possibly holding out. I have seen some smallish Publix stores in Florida recently. The fact that the developer said it would be a small "prototype" makes me think that it will be something totally unique. I kind of hope this is true! :)

I haven't read that yet.  Is Lockheed moving into an existing building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know nothing about them looking any where except possibly a winn dixie being vacated in Greer. And I think that is a rumor that wont prove true. But rumblings have it that Kroger is interested in coming in the the upstate market.

Moving Bi-Lo would probably be a good thing.  I would like to see a store with more choices in downtown.

That's interesting about Publix possibly holding out.  I have seen some smallish Publix stores in Florida recently.  The fact that the developer said it would be a small "prototype" makes me think that it will be something totally unique.  I kind of hope this is true! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bi-Lo relocating within the downtown area would be a good thing. It would be bad for the residents north of Stone Avenue to go slightly farther to buy groceries, but it would be great to escape the evils of Towers East. That is one place that makes that area bad.

I'm sure Publix knows what they're doing. The small prototype store the developer assumes is the exact same thing on Columbia's Gervais Street. It has your usually departments (grocery, HBC, GM, deli, bakery, meat, etc.) except the pharmacy, which supposedly will be added soon. Through my contacts, Publix deeply cares about its pharmacies. Factually, their new downtown store and Furman store (supposedly will be expanded when Movie Gallery relocates) will have pharmacies.

Moving Bi-Lo would probably be a good thing.  I would like to see a store with more choices in downtown.

That's interesting about Publix possibly holding out.  I have seen some smallish Publix stores in Florida recently.  The fact that the developer said it would be a small "prototype" makes me think that it will be something totally unique.  I kind of hope this is true! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also like to see BI-LO move out. If downtown does get a Publix, and these other stores, then maybe they will run BI-LO out?

I know nothing about them looking any where except possibly a winn dixie being vacated in Greer.  And I think that is a rumor that wont prove true.  But rumblings have it that Kroger is interested in coming in the the upstate market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That rumor will prove true. I heard on the news last week that Winn-Dixe is closing all of its stores in SC.

I would love to see Kroger come to the area. I hear those places are great :)

Bi-Lo relocating within the downtown area would be a good thing.  It would be bad for the residents north of Stone Avenue to go slightly farther to buy groceries, but it would be great to escape the evils of Towers East.  That is one place that makes that area bad.

I'm sure Publix knows what they're doing.  The small prototype store the developer assumes is the exact same thing on Columbia's Gervais Street.  It has your usually departments (grocery, HBC, GM, deli, bakery, meat, etc.) except the pharmacy, which supposedly will be added soon.  Through my contacts, Publix deeply cares about its pharmacies.  Factually, their new downtown store and Furman store (supposedly will be expanded when Movie Gallery relocates) will have pharmacies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like publix wants to put a full sized store downtown, if it can. These compact/urban Publixes are great things, but they sometimes lack the options of a full Publix. Its nothing major. But you just run accross small things from time to time. I know I did. But the convenience of it was a major plus for me. The two that Columbia has in town (The Vista and Rosewood) are strikingly similar, so I suspect that the one in Greenville would also be similar. I hope they can get everything worked out :)

I hope they aren't going to try to make any downtown supermarkets TOO big. I understand that we don't want tiny, cramped stores with limited selections, but the idea of a huge store in the middle of an urban area does not sound very appealing to me. I am sure the city knows what they are doing, though, and it will be fine.

I personally would love to see Kroger enter the Greenville market. There used to be one in Anderson when I was a little kid, and I remember it was a big deal because people would go for "double coupons." Ha ha. Their stores are nice, though, and I think they would certainly compete well with Publix and Bi-Lo. Losing Winn-Dixie is not a big loss. And I think Ingles would possibly be the next Winn-Dixie in 10-15 years if Kroger comes into Greenville, but perhaps I feel that way because I never shop at Ingles.

I know nothing about them looking any where except possibly a winn dixie being vacated in Greer.  And I think that is a rumor that wont prove true.  But rumblings have it that Kroger is interested in coming in the the upstate market.

That rumor will prove true. I heard on the news last week that Winn-Dixe is closing all of its stores in SC.

I would love to see Kroger come to the area. I hear those places are great

Oh I know that the Winn Dixie will close, what I meant is that I don't think it will prove true that Kroger will take over that space in Greer near Belks.

Re: Kroger

Maybe it's because they're one of the older grocery chains here in Columbus, but I've never known Kroger for good selection, quality produce, or clean stores when compared to the other big ones around. I think they're geared more for lower-income shoppers, which can be beneficial to some areas. This is just my observation. I have no idea how they compare to Winn Dixie or Publix, but the Ingles and Bi-Lo I've seen are much nicer than the Krogers I'm used to.

Sadly, I have to have to agree that Kroger didn't exactly impress me when I went to one in Atlanta, in Buckhead nonetheless. Rather dirty, selection was so so, and just overall extremely difficult to find what I wanted. One of the best high end stores I've been into is Wegmans, which is Mid-Atlantic, New York area. When I lived in Mass, we had Market Basket, which I don't even know if they're around anymore, but they were comparable to BiLo. Anyways, I think that Publix will give everyone a run for their money. Also, lets think of it this way too, do you really want a grocery store on every corner. (ie: BiLo @ E North and Pelham, and then one two miles away on E North @ Howell @ Haywood) ? That would be promoting suburban sprawl without really realizing it. Props to Publix in Mauldin on Main @ Butler, taking down the big box, and putting something more asthetic in its place.

It would be very exciting to see Kroger reenter the upstate. Greenville, I fondly remember Anderson's Krogers very well - Mall Road (which is now Bi-Lo) and the vacant one at Sount Fant at River Street. They also had a store in Greenville, known as Welcome, where Burlington Coat Factory is at Haywood @ Laurens. They were rumored to buy out Bi-Lo/Bruno's last year until Lone Star Funds emerged as the new owner.

I do not know if Food Lion and/or Harris Teeter would like to enter/reenter the upstate market. Harris Teeter would have done very well here if they focused more.

If we get a new grocer in the upstate, I hope it is Kroger. Most of the Krogers I have been in seem new, clean, and spacious. I cannot say the same for Food Lion, which always feels old and in not-so-great areas of town. It is interesting to me how Food Lion is so big in North Carolina, yet they seem to have no interest in South Carolina markets.

Harris Teeter seems like a reasonable candidate. I believe there used to be a Harris Teeter a long, long time ago in Greenville near the intersection of Augusta Road and Laurens Road (in an old shopping center diagonally across from the existing Bi-Lo). Wasn't the Bi-Lo on Roper Mountain Road at I-385 also a Harris Teeter at one point? Seems like my dad has told me that both of those stores were Harris Teeters. Anyway, they have a very nice store in the Washington, DC metro area near Virginia Square. It is two-story with an elevator. Very cool.

What other supermarkets are in the southeast that could expand into Greenville? I seem to recall a Piggly Wiggly in Litchfield, but am not sure of any others in South Carolina. Safeway is more of a national chain, but they don't seem to be interested in expanding to the southeast. Anyone else have any additional proposals?

I shopped at Food Lion when I lived in Charleston and I really liked them. Much nicer then Piggly Wiggly.

There used to be a bunch of Harris Teeters in the Greenville area. But, bilo bought their stores locally. THeir used to be one at the intersection of Hudson and Old Spartanburg, since Bilo already had a store there they turned it into a Food Smart which shut down recently.

Also, the Bilo on Roper Mt. Rd. used to be a Herris Teeter as well.

we used to always shop at the Harris Teeter at Converse in spartanburg. funny story, i grew up in a family of six kids and my mom used to be the number one shopper at that store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We used to go there alot as well. At the time it was either that or the Community Cash :lol:

I believe someone had mentioned about the old warehouse building at the corner of McBee and Academy, having a "public hearing" sign in the window awhile back. I too had seen this and became interested. Today I walked over there and saw that it is now a pile of rubble. The size of the property looks to be somewhere in the same ballpark as that of the The Pinnacle property on North Main and Elford. My curiosity is now kindled as to whether or not this may be the location of Bob Ellis's second tower, previously mentioned. The article stated that it would be "a similar 14-story tower," although no location was given. Now I wonder..... ^_^

I believe someone had mentioned about the old warehouse building at the corner of McBee and Academy, having a "public hearing" sign in the window awhile back.  I too had seen this and became interested.  Today I walked over there and saw that it is now a pile of rubble.  The size of the property looks to be somewhere in the same ballpark as that of the The Pinnacle property on North Main and Elford.  My curiosity is now kindled as to whether or not this may be the location of Bob Ellis's second tower, previously mentioned.  The article stated that it would be "a similar 14-story tower," although no location was given.  Now I wonder..... ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...

Regardless, it should be an improvement over an old warehouse. :)

Again, Brad, you come with the great stuff! That sounds absolutely wonderful. I've been saying for several years that Greenville needs a few top-knotch theme restaurants. Someday, I'd also like to see an IMAX theatre along the Reedy - but there I'm getting ahead of the game. B)

One of the Restaurants in the new Riverplace office building according to GSA Business is a chain called The Grape.  One of the other two will be fine dining and the other a national chain that should create quite a buzz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Brad :thumbsup:

OK, I guess now the question is: What is "The Grape"? :blink:

Again, Brad, you come with the great stuff!  That sounds absolutely wonderful.  I've been saying for several years that Greenville needs a few top-knotch theme restaurants.  Someday, I'd also like to see an IMAX theatre along the Reedy - but there I'm getting ahead of the game. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking on IMAX, I had heard a rumor a few months back that the city was trying to get a property just off Main, in the E. North/Coffee street corridor for an IMAX and maybe some other things. The property owner was resistant to selling though. Anyone else hear that one? Anyone know if there was any truth to it?

As for the new national chain in Riverplace, my guess is Ruths' Chris steakhouse. They are opening in Columbia, so it's not so far-fetched. Just conjecture on my part though.

Speaking on IMAX, I had heard a rumor a few months back that the city was trying to get a property just off Main, in the E. North/Coffee street corridor for an IMAX and maybe some other things.  The property owner was resistant to selling though. Anyone else hear that one?  Anyone know if there was any truth to it?

As for the new national chain in Riverplace, my guess is Ruths' Chris steakhouse.  They are opening in Columbia, so it's not so far-fetched.  Just conjecture on my part though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That has been my guess for a while as well. And I think that is where we might see Starbucks also.

Ruth's Chris would be great. I have been wanting one of those ever since I heard the rumors a few years ago (although then it was more of a "sometime in the distant future" sort of rumor).

I am also curious about The Grape. A wine bar will be awesome in downtown Greenville. When are these two supposed to be open and in business? How many years are we talking about?