New Greenville developments

gs3

If wine and food interest you, you should check out Northampton Wines and The Wine Cafe on Broad Street, just below the Camperdown Bridge.  Excellent place! :thumbsup:  I highly recommend a visit.  You'll probably become hooked. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the recommendation, Skyliner! You are giving me expert advice on all of my favorite beverages (tea and now wine). Now we just need a water bar! :thumbsup:

Is the Wine Cafe part of Northampton Wines, or a separate establishment? I have heard others mention Northampton Wines, and I am planning to go next time I am in town.

I was driving to the bank today and decided to go by The Camperdown property and see what, if anything had changed. I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of guys out there with a transit, presumably taking measurements for preliminary work. I also noticed that Reedy View Drive has been resurfaced and they had paved a path into the Camperdown property. Looks like things are getting close to construction? :)

Thanks for the recommendation, Skyliner!  You are giving me expert advice on all of my favorite beverages (tea and now wine).  Now we just need a water bar!  :thumbsup:

Is the Wine Cafe part of Northampton Wines, or a separate establishment?  I have heard others mention Northampton Wines, and I am planning to go next time I am in town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is part of the store. It was just added about a year and a half ago and has been a great success ever since. They serve meals that coordinate with special imported wines. :)

Again, Brad, you come with the great stuff!  That sounds absolutely wonderful.  I've been saying for several years that Greenville needs a few top-knotch theme restaurants.  Someday, I'd also like to see an IMAX theatre along the Reedy - but there I'm getting ahead of the game. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been getting soaked in Charleston for the past couple of days...including taking in the Aquarium and Batman Begins at the IMAX Theatre (had to stay dry somehow). An IMAX Theatre somewhere along the Reedy or in/near Heritage Green would be awesome!

I just was reminded about this and thought that maybe one of you could help me out. What ever happened to the downtown trolly idea? I have filled out the questionaire online and read about possible routes in the Greeville News a while back, but it's seems to have gone cold. Has the city lost interest or is it being planned just suppressed from all of the other developments occuring. Just wondering...

What kind of trolley? A bus style one or one on rails?

Also, I threw this together so people can more clearly understand what area you are referring to with the annexation thing. Definately keep us informed on that one!

Greenville_annexarea.jpg

If i knew the exact area, or even approximate boundaries I could estimate the population gain for Greenville.

I didn't know what they were going to annex but I had heard they had a big annexation coming up that would connect greenville to the talylors special district. That is another reason taylors want to incorporate becuase they think Greenville will start nibbling away at Taylors just as Greer is doing.

I just was reminded about this and thought that maybe one of you could help me out. What ever happened to the downtown trolly idea? I have filled out the questionaire online and read about possible routes in the Greeville News a while back, but it's seems to have gone cold. Has the city lost interest or is it being planned just suppressed from all of the other developments occuring. Just wondering...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being a questionaire, I think it was trying to generate responses to who would favor having a trolley service, who would more likely ride it, and when and where the trolley service would operate. It may or may not happen as there are other alternatives out there. Could you imagine a monorail downtown?

Could you imagine a monorail downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be quite neat. I wouldn't want it to be above ground though. JMO

I would rather have the trolley plan because it would give you the opportunity to get off whenever you wanted, where you wanted and you would be able to see downtown. I think it would be great to use to get back to your car after walking Main Street. Nice and relaxing. and would add a nice, memorable little touch to the experience.

Trollies have alot going for them that monorails don't, fist off the intial cost to start a line up is much lower, especially when it is a non-rail based trolly. Technically a open air bus that looks like a trolly.

So, they can start up the system and if it fails, well sell the trollies and little is lost.

Also, trollies have the added benefit that their routes can be changed at any time, so they can keep up rfining it till they get optimum ridership. Also, they can do special routes for special events.

Though a monorail system would look cool, it would cost alot more, its route would be fixed and well you would have too look at the monorail even when the train is on another part of its route whereas a trolly on tires is there and then gone as it passes by.

"What kind of trolley? A bus style one or one on rails?"

It would be a bus style and have routes probably up and down Main St and then down Augusta... (or so I read a while back)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am suprised that Greenvile doesn't have such a thing already.

How would a downtown trolley work? I thought a rail line was needed for that?

If we have a trolley up and down Main Street, where would it go? We only have sidewalks and a two-lane road, and it would seem that a trolley would "steal" space that we already use and need. I always thought a rail line downtown would need to be underground, and would perhaps mean a station at the Bi-Lo Center and another at the Peace Center/West End. I guess that is a huge investment that you can't "undo," but at least it is underground so if it doesn't workout you can either ignore it or use it in the future. :)

How would a downtown trolley work?  I thought a rail line was needed for that?

If we have a trolley up and down Main Street, where would it go?  We only have sidewalks and a two-lane road, and it would seem that a trolley would "steal" space that we already use and need.  I always thought a rail line downtown would need to be underground, and would perhaps mean a station at the Bi-Lo Center and another at the Peace Center/West End.  I guess that is a huge investment that you can't "undo," but at least it is underground so if it doesn't workout you can either ignore it or use it in the future. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trollies would have wheels with tires on them. Really a trolly in name only. Looks like a trolly but is really a open air bus.

Has anyone heard of Petco, Petsmart's competitor, coming to Greenville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Petco has opened or is about to open in Spartanburg in Hillcrest near Panera. Haven't heard of a Greenville location, but with them entering the Upstate market, makes sense they would open multiple units.

Petco has opened or is about to open in Spartanburg in Hillcrest near Panera.  Haven't heard of a Greenville location, but with them entering the Upstate market, makes sense they would open multiple units.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure Cherrydale, Easley, Seneca, and Simpsonville will have some sort of pet supply store within a few years.