New Greenville developments

gs3

So we potentially have two highrise buildings that could be announced downtown in the near future?

1. Academy and McBee (potentially the 14-story Bob Ellis building)

2. High-rise at Main and Broad

Have either of these sites been accounted for in the past on our skyline renderings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Academy @ McBee location is being turned into parking space for First Presbyterian. That made me very sad when I first learned it. :( I think it is not good use for such an accessible and prominent piece of property.

The hearing for the Main @ Broad office building was on June 21. It was to clear the way for preliminary site work, including the removal of any necessary building(s). I hope that means The Hot Dog King (not a favorite of mine). We should hear something soon regarding this development by MCA Architecture. :)

Edited by Skyliner

The Academy @ McBee location is being turned into parking space for First Presbyterian.  That made me very sad when I first learned it. :(  I think it is not good use for such an accessible and prominent piece of property.

I agree. Although I do go to First Presbyterian Church, and therefore I understand the position they are in, but I do think that the downtown churches are buying up too much property and just letting it sit. They ARE planning ahead and with such large congregations they will continue to need room to grow and park. BUT, First Pres. property touches Buncombe St property and Saint Mary's Property, and is close to Downtown Baptist. There's just a big blob of open space and in those blocks. Mainly they are parking lots. <_<

The Academy @ McBee location is being turned into parking space for First Presbyterian.  That made me very sad when I first learned it. :(  I think it is not good use for such an accessible and prominent piece of property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fear they'll still park on the streets. I agree with vic. The Richardson Street Garage and the Washington Street Parking Deck are FREE OF CHARGE on weekends and are very close in proximity. Why can't these people simply park in those facilities? :whistling:

Of course...I'm still wondering why people park on the street instead of in their driveways and garages in my own neighborhood... :cry:

I fear they'll still park on the streets.  I agree with vic.  The Richardson Street Garage and the Washington Street Parking Deck are FREE OF CHARGE on weekends and are very close in proximity.  Why can't these people simply park in those facilities?  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, we do park in the Richardson St garage, the W Washington St Deck, and even in the lot by Bank of America. BUT you have to understand First Pres is a huge congregation and needs lots of parking. Also, we want to have room to expand. Not just the church but ministries. Like the land across Academy from the Church's main property. It holds the Boy Scott Troop and several other programs sponsored or run or associated with the church. This is just speculation, but... It also helps them control what is built and exists around their property. I guess we should just be thankful it's not a bunch of run down buildings where crime and drugs can prosper in the heart of downtown??? :thumbsup:

This is just speculation, but... It also helps them control what is built and exists around their property. I guess we should just be thankful it's not a bunch of run down buildings where crime and drugs can prosper in the heart of downtown??? :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an excellent point. This would definitely give FPC more of a controlling stake in what is around them.

I guess my complaint with the apparently unnecessary street parking isn't specific to FPC or any other entity. It simply seems to be an overall mentality that I've noticed in and around Greenville. People park in streets instead of on their driveways and in parking spaces. I guess I'll never quite understand it :unsure:

I agree.  I think a Fresh Market would do well.  I'm a bit bummed out that they killed to Fresh Market on Woodruff Rd.  It would have been 3 miles from my house. :angry:

My wife & I pop up to Pelham occasionally to hit Earth Fare.  :D

Imagine Hard Rock Greenville!  How cool is that B)

I've been to a few.  Chicago is my Favorite.  Food is so-so, but when you get a Hard Rock in your city, you know you've made it!  Seriously though, are we even close to a large enough market for Hard Rock to consider us?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good News NYTransplant! I have a good friend who works for Fresh Market. He just returned from their corporate headquarters in Greensboro, and was told that they have reversed course again and will be moving forward with plans for a new store on Woodruff Rd. They hope to have it up and running by the end of next year. How about that, my first post and I get to bring someone good news! :D

Good News NYTransplant! I have a good friend who works for Fresh Market. He just returned from their corporate headquarters in Greensboro, and was told that they have reversed course again and will be moving forward with plans for a new store on Woodruff Rd. They hope to have it up and running by the end of next year. How about that, my first post and I get to bring someone good news!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a way to start a career!!! A home run in your first at-bat! :thumbsup:

Welcome to UP, Eastside!!!

Good News NYTransplant! I have a good friend who works for Fresh Market. He just returned from their corporate headquarters in Greensboro, and was told that they have reversed course again and will be moving forward with plans for a new store on Woodruff Rd. They hope to have it up and running by the end of next year. How about that, my first post and I get to bring someone good news!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Eastside!! Welcome aboard.

My wife will be thrilled with the news. Any idea where it will be?

Dick's Sporting Goods is now open at Greenridge and HH Gregg is open on Woodruff!! Finally some results from all the dirt-moving. Best Buy will be open on the 29th. Also they have put signs up for Thomasville Furniture and Drexel Heritage Furniture Stores at the Point. One more blow for Greenville Mall with Dick's though. They will probably hurt Oshman's. :(

Dick's Sporting Goods is now open at Greenridge and HH Gregg is open on Woodruff!!  Finally some results from all the dirt-moving.  Best Buy will be open on the 29th.  Also they have put signs up for Thomasville Furniture and Drexel Heritage Furniture Stores at the Point.  One more blow for Greenville Mall with Dick's though.  They will probably hurt Oshman's.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't Oshman's, the Sports Authority, Dick's, and others all part of the same company anyway?

I'm curious as to how many more vintners in town will be put asunder by Total Wine and More. :cry:

Much good things about Woodruff Road I see here. Brief comments I should make.

I will always look forward to The Fresh Market's additional store on Woodroad Road. I doubt they will try to build it next to that cemetary. One possible tract I land with access to a traffic signal is across from Walmart Supercenter, probably at the corner of Tanner Road. Is The Fresh Market looking to located eastward more towards Five Forks?

I remember Drexel Heritage fairly well. They had a store in Greenville Mall a couple years ago, but they closed that store. Its space was later filled by Palmetto Home & Garden, which has moved into the former Profitt's.

The Sports Authority owns Oshman's Supersports USA and Gart Sports. Dick's Sporting Goods, which owns Gaylans's, is their competitor. I think competition will be good for Oshman's as it is the better of the two Sports Authority stores in Greenville. The Greenville Mall store has a much better selection that Sports Authority on Laurens Road does not have - ice hockey equipment, Columbia Sportswear Company apparel, hunting apparel, camping gear, outdoor products, etc. Dick's at Westgate Mall did not have much of a selection, but I hope the Greenridge store has more bang.

Edited by BoDragon

Not sure if anyone else has posted these, but a couple of new pizza places are coming soon. I don't know the locations, but they sound a little out of the ordinary. :)

• Brixx Wood-Fired Pizza - this one sounds like top-knotch food!
  • Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake Pizza - A new concept for this area?

There is a very nice article in the current issue of GSABusiness Journal about the two Broad Street high-rises and the improvements to the road itself. The developer of The Tower at Falls and Broad is very excited that his building will be the tallest in Greenville. It's great to read such articles! They give promise to our hopes of better things to come. :D

Edited by Skyliner

There is a very nice article in the current issue of GSABusiness Journal about the two Broad Street high-rises and the improvements to the road itself.  The developer of The Tower at Falls and Broad is very excited that his building will be the tallest in Greenville.  It's great to read such articles!  They give promise to our hopes of better things to come. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tallest in SC. :)

I emailed a reporter a while back to ask why they wer enot reporting it as the tallest in the state and he said that they had heard it would be and were looking into it but were not able to get varification that it would be the tallest in the state. Either the reporters don't know of emporis, or don't trust it.