New Greenville developments

gs3

Thanks CBpresident!  Your expertize is indeed welcome.  Let us know what you hear about this area. I'll take a Zaxby's over a BK anyday. 

The University and Church intersection brings up a question that I have often had.  From a development perspective, which corner is most valuable/desireable?  What factors go into that?  I know the traffic patterns are involved, but can you shed more light?  Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Desirability is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, but also depends on the type of business and which way the traffic is commuting. The total traffic counts are considered, but if you are a breakfast place you want to be on the corner where the in-bound morning traffic is passing and you want it to be a convenient off and on for your customers. A lot of people will ride until they see the service they want on "their side" of the road as they do not like crossing traffic.

Many other factors like price, topography, view, etc. are common sensical. But all things being equal, the best site considers the service you are offering and the in-bound or out-bound aspect of the traffic and the counts at morning/afternoon rush etc.

Desirability is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, but also depends on the type of business and which way the traffic is commuting.  The total traffic counts are considered, but if you are a breakfast place you want to be on the corner where the in-bound morning traffic is passing and you want it to be a convenient off and on for your customers.  A lot of people will ride until they see the service they want on "their side" of the road as they do not like crossing traffic.

Many other factors like price, topography, view, etc. are common sensical.  But all things being equal, the best site considers the service you are offering and the in-bound or out-bound aspect of the traffic and the counts at morning/afternoon rush etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes sense, cbpresident. Thanks for your insight! :thumbsup:

Desirability is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, but also depends on the type of business and which way the traffic is commuting.  The total traffic counts are considered, but if you are a breakfast place you want to be on the corner where the in-bound morning traffic is passing and you want it to be a convenient off and on for your customers.  A lot of people will ride until they see the service they want on "their side" of the road as they do not like crossing traffic.

Many other factors like price, topography, view, etc. are common sensical.  But all things being equal, the best site considers the service you are offering and the in-bound or out-bound aspect of the traffic and the counts at morning/afternoon rush etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting point. So, that leads to the question, "what is the business being built on Beattie Place, in front of 1 Liberty Plaza?" I have heard it could be a newstand or even a Starbucks, but nothing has sounded solid yet (to me at least).

The main project I'm interested in today is the mixed-use building at Main and Broad. I was unable to see any of the plans, but I understand "something" was available at the hearing. If you know what it may look like, PLEASE share this with us. ;)

Any word on the modifications that have been made to the Phase III RiverPlace tower? We read that it was changed to a twelve story building, but I'm interested in knowing whether any other major changes were made to its appearance.

Thanks a TON! :)

I thought that the new construction between the two Liberty Buildings on Beattie Place was DEFINITELY a Starbucks.  I have even been telling friends that, so it better not be something else!  Ha ha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's very unlike Starbucks to get this far along with construction and not have a big banner out front announcing their pending presence. I'm beginning to doubt that it's a Starbucks.

NOt sure if anybody has noticed the trees being cleared on Wood Lake Rd. off of Haywood Rd. but it may be for a hotel.  Check out page ten of this.

Click Here, look at page 10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another thought: It could also very well be for small office building and/or training center, especially considering the proximity to numerous hotels, I-385, and the Downtown Airport.

Does anybody know when the GTA went from 8 routes to 13? And why when you click on Downloadable System Map at the bottom of the of the GTA's official site it only shows you 5 routes? :huh:  I could use a real map.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The map looks as though it shows all routes. Are we looking at the same map?

http://www.greenvilletransit.com/pdf/overallmap06012005.pdf

I hope the usage of the GTA buses increases in the years to come. That is our only hope for increased interest in light rail for Greenville. It seems that if people aren't using the bus system, it will not be feasible to invest in light rail. Didn't someone here say that Atlanta originally justified MARTA because of increased usage of their buses (with some routes maxed out even)?

Unfortunately, every time I see a GTA bus it is either empty or only has a couple of riders on it. :(

I don't know what percentage of GTA's expenses are covered by its farebox revenues, but I'd imagine that just making the system free would increase ridership and wouldn't cost an unreasonable amount in additional subsidies. That option should be explored. Too bad City/County Council don't seem particularly willing to adequately fund GTA.

The Tower at Falls and Broad, which I found out today, will not end up being built and looking like the renderings that have been released and you've seen so far. They are still designing the appearance. So that means there's still a chance for MORE "drama" going on at the top of our newest landmark.

Like I said in a previous post, something with these towers going up in Greenville just doesn't sit right with me. It's as if there isn't a lot planning going on, but then again, when we were told that the design for Tower @ Falls and Broad would be redesigned, it brought a real sense of relief to me. I have friends from Syracuse down here this week, and they absolutly loved our downtown. So as for that, I know we're on to something, and we're doing something right. If we only got three more towers downtown, I'd be happy, but lets focus on the important things at hand, not trying to get the highest tower in the state. What good is a tall building when there's nothing to put into it?

I agree that downtown Greenville is doing something right, but I don't think that it has anything to do with how tall our buildings are (or aren't). I concur that we need to make sure that the things we build are sensible and add to the quality of life (and aren't just part of a "peeing contest" with other cities).

I view our new highrises as the next step in the city's growth, and not something that seems out of place. If anything, the skyline is pretty disappointing for a city Greenville's size. We are just now starting to catch up to where it should be, in terms of height and density downtown.

The city's leadership has made excellent decisions in the past, and I trust them with the approval of these new projects as well. I think Greenville will continue to grow and mature as a city, while not losing any of the quality of life it is well-known for. :)