New Greenville developments

gs3

My only concern is that anytime you see a GTA bus, it looks empty. Maybe I don't notice them at peak hours, but it seems like it's doing well if 6 or more people are on the bus. If we ever want leaders to consider light rail, I would think that the demand for increased public transportation would need to be evidenced by high rates of bus usage. At this point, that isn't the case.

I think Greenville faces a big uphill battle in terms of convincing people of the value of public transportation. Greenville is definitely a car city. People like their cars, and many would probably be willing to sit in bad/slow traffic in their cars rather than park and ride on light rail. Even in a huge city like Los Angeles, that is a problem and you can see because most people don't take advantage of the rail system there. I think the mentality will need to change in Greenville in order for something like light rail to be a success.

The other way for it to be embraced is for growth in Greenville to increase at an alarming rate, making traffic horrible and light rail a necessity. Right now, that is not the case. So we seem to have two big hurdles: it's not needed, and people don't want to use it.

I hope that we get it one day, and that there will truly be a need for it and people will use it regularly. I'm not trying to be negative about the idea, because I want it as much as anyone, but objectively I think we have a long way to go before it is even a consideration.

Thats the problem wiht only building luxury units downtown. Yeah its great for density, but these people will usually not take transit, particularly in the form of a bus. You have to get the bus to the people who will use it, which are usually por to lower income people.

Its sort of a catch 22 becuase you can't just put the routes through the wealthy neighborhoods becuase nobody will take them, yet if you don't have them there then the opportunity for them to use it will not exist.

Greenville has light rail in the works, there is no question about it. They will have to promote TOD better to get the ridership they want. They will also have to start creating more pedestrian friendly neighborhoods and recreating existing ones to support this future rail system. The cul-de-sacs will not cut it in the future.

Thats the problem wiht only building luxury units downtown. Yeah its great for density, but these people will usually not take transit, particularly in the form of a bus. You have to get the bus to the people who will use it, which are usually por to lower income people.

Its sort of a catch 22 becuase you can't just put the routes through the wealthy neighborhoods becuase nobody will take them, yet if you don't have them there then the opportunity for them to use it will not exist.

Greenville has light rail in the works, there is no question about it. They will have to promote TOD better to get the ridership they want. They will also have to start creating more pedestrian friendly neighborhoods and recreating existing ones to support this future rail system. The cul-de-sacs will not cut it in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cul de Sacs are not going away. In Greer for example the police chief sits in on planning meetings and looks over the proposed development and gives insight on what type of planning leaves to decreased crime. Neighborhoods with lots of cul de sacs for example have less crime becuase there are fewer escape routes. When you have law enforcement practicly requireing them they are bound to continue their popularity.

GSABusiness says that a few of the new retail names coming into the Upstate are:

• Pottery Barn
  • P.F. Chang's China Bistro
  • Brixx Wood-Fired Pizza (based in Charlotte)
  • HandPicked (jewlery)
  • Mimi's Cafe (breakfast/lunch/dinner)
  • Swoozie's (paper/party products)
  • Ulta (cosmetics/salon)

Some great quotes from the article:

"There's a decent average inclome, and it's a growing market."

"Greenville has certainly emerged from the shadows of the larger cities around it."

"It's a new market that's perceived to be able to support that level of retailer or restauranteur."

:)

GSABusiness says that a few of the new retail names coming into the Upstate are:
  • Pottery Barn

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro

• Brixx Wood-Fired Pizza (based in Charlotte)

• HandPicked (jewlery)

• Mimi's Cafe (breakfast/lunch/dinner)

• Swoozie's (paper/party products)

• Ulta (cosmetics/salon)

Some great quotes from the article:

"There's a decent average inclome, and it's a growing market."

"Greenville has certainly emerged from the shadows of the larger cities around it."

"It's a new market that's perceived to be able to support that level of retailer or restauranteur."

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was a very good article. I think this was the same article that stated the two new furniture stores at The Point (Drexel and Thomasville), looked at the demographics of the large South Carolina cities and chose only Greenville as their first and only entry into South Carolina. According to the article, several additional national retailers are looking at Greenville. Once a city gets retailers like Pottery Barn, Whole Foods and PF Changs, all other retailers take notice. Go Greenville! :thumbsup:

I know there are fans, so I thought some of you would like to know that there is going to be a Port City Java built on Hudson Rd. acrross the street from Bilo in Greer near the intersection of Old Spartanburg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes, and by the way RT, I tried the Raspberry Slushin' Joe at the PCJ downtown.

I give it 3 thumbs up! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There was going to be a drug store at the Corner of Hudson and Brushy Creek as well, but I have since heard that has fallen through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walgreen's was in close negotiations to acquire that site; they were outbid by another chain. A friend that works at the Hudson Road CVS tells me they are finalizing a deal to buy the site within the next month. When the sale is complete, construction of the new store will begin at the end of the year and it will open next August.

The nearby Hudson Road Bi-Lo is opening its pharmacy before Christmas.

Walgreen's was in close negotiations to acquire that site; they were outbid by another chain.  A friend that works at the Hudson Road CVS tells me they are finalizing a deal to buy the site within the next month.  When the sale is complete, construction of the new store will begin at the end of the year and it will open next August.

The nearby Hudson Road Bi-Lo is opening its pharmacy before Christmas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if CVS does move out of it's inline location their I hope something Good takes its place, and soon, that center has always been very succesul. I never understand why Hughes Commercial Properties took so long to do the third phase that connected everything together.

There are some interesting headlines in the current issue of GSABusiness.

Of note are:

• Expo Center renovations closer to state funding
  • Upstate businesses still coping with own flood damage
  • Carolina coast tries to keep up with seafood market
  • Upstate companies go to work in Katrina’s wake
  • ICAR’s first residents moving in
  • Consultants rate GSA area’s competitiveness
  • Greenville hopes guide will lure downtown retail

Also, interesting news about the owners of the Bombers. Read that in the BOMBERS THREAD. :)

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 weeks later...