New Greenville developments

gs3

I do not know how well the likes of a wholesale club like Costco would do on Pelham Road. I see them often located near malls or lifestyle centers.

Every Costco in Orlando that opened back when I lived there did so many miles from the nearest mall or lifestyle center. They were just off of the beaten path, yet close enough to it to be convenient.

Honestly, people love Wal-Mart for some reason (surely not the friendliness, speedy check-out, lack of clutter, or abundance of quality product storewide) and Wally World loves to stick a store everywhere...so, yes, they will most certainly build on Laurens Rd. and not look back.

If that does happen, hopefully it will look something more like Travelers' Rest's store. Instead, take the vertical approach and build a three-level store like similar stores in California and Miami.

That's right. Greenville residents have to go to Pelzer to have any fun, mostly due to the fact that Bob Jones University is in Greenville. The fact that everyone in Greenville is a racist, homophobe KKK member who pines for the "good 'ol days" of the 1930's compounds the problem as well. Oh yeah, and ultra-conservative as well, which means a lack of generosity and a shortage of open-mindedness. If not for the forward-thinking progressives in Columbia and Asheville to balance things out, Greenville would surely cease to exist.

Just heard a rumor that The Grape (wine bar) WILL NOT be going into Riverplace due to the Greenville's new Puritanical crackdown on anything fun.

The decision has apparently already been made and the establishment elite has retreated back to their Ivory Tower.

Somebody had better tell the Grape that then. They still list Greenville on their web site:

The Grape at RiverPlace

550 S. Main St.

Greenville SC 29601

And their windows are covered with those little static-cling signs saying, "Coming Soon."

That's right. Greenville residents have to go to Pelzer to have any fun, mostly due to the fact that Bob Jones University is in Greenville. The fact that everyone in Greenville is a racist, homophobe KKK member who pines for the "good 'ol days" of the 1930's compounds the problem as well. Oh yeah, and ultra-conservative as well, which means a lack of generosity and a shortage of open-mindedness. If not for the forward-thinking progressives in Columbia and Asheville to balance things out, Greenville would surely cease to exist.

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much sums it up.

:rolleyes:

I had seen a sign on the windows there that a meeting was going to be hled about it. I can't remember what city department was holding the meeting though. You would think that Hughes as much power as he has would have been able to get anybody in there.

Also, my opininon is that McBee station will be one of the first projects to break ground.

I was just sarcastically responding to the notion that Greenville = no fun. Probably not warranted, but I'm in that kind of mood today.

I didn't mean anything personal toward you either, StrangeCock. Hope it wasn't taken that way.

Don't worry, not at all. I tend to get a little melodramatic with my posts anyway.

Greenville IS fun and it CAN be fun. But it always seems like there's a core group of people who want to model Greenville after their own beliefs and interests...and nobody else's. They see downtown as their own little country club, as opposed to a gathering place for diverse peoples.

I believe there's always room for compromise.

Just heard a rumor that The Grape (wine bar) WILL NOT be going into Riverplace due to the Greenville's new Puritanical crackdown on anything fun.

The decision has apparently already been made and the establishment elite has retreated back to their Ivory Tower.

Contacted The Grape via the website about the rumor and this was the responce:

Thank you for your note and interest in The Grape becoming part of

Greenville, South Carolina. Yes, we are working very hard to gain all

approvals to be in a position to begin construction on the RiverPlace

site.

Hopefully we will be successful in our efforts. Have a great holiday

season.

Martin A. Thallman

The Grape

w: 678-309-WINE (9463)

c: 678-232-1983

f: 678-309-1208

www.yourgrape.com

"Taste Is All That Counts"

I have been reading some about the NorthEnd (article in the Greenville paper today, and friends of ours own The Bohemian). Any news/opinion about the development of this area?

I just read that article. Very interesting. I lived in that area for several years (and will probably move back soon) and never once heard it referred to as the NorthEnd. Is that a new moniker?

Edited by wellen

I have heard it called "North End." Most of the time people refer to it as the "North Main" area. I think I typically prefer North End, because North Main is also used when speaking about the Hyatt Regency area of Main Street. When we speak of South Main, I usually think of City Hall, and The Peace Center area. West End creates a "separation" of sorts to give a better reference. :)