New Greenville developments

gs3

It has been a while since i have gotten to post a new development in here, usually someone beats me to it.

This morning the Greenville News announced the plans for a project we first heard about well over a year ago. It is the Renaissance Place and is a Join Venture by Bob Jones University and Hines Interests of Huston, TX.

It is on a 14 Acre site on Pleasantburg drive where the pedestrian bridge is and where they tore down the shopping center.

It calls for 50,000 sf of retail and 148 Condos in two 5 story buildings. I could not find the story on the G-news site.

Renasaince.jpg

These look pretty great! And the price tag on the development is up there with McBee Station. Nice! :thumbsup: I can see the condo prices being supported simply because that side of Pleasentburg backs up to some pretty established, moderately old money areas. Why do you think Fresh Market does so well in that location?

I do admit that I have mixed feelings about the new Bob Jones development, as to what businesses they are going to place in there, but my major concern is the storm drainage. I grew up in that neighborhood behind there, and yes, I have seen it already that after a heavy rain, the water on some streets can come waist high. I was aware a few years ago that there was a lawsuit against the county for this, as with all the development, there is only an 18 inch culvert for the water, and this water is coming from all over the eastside, including the Pelham Commons...

As for retail, anything there will look better than what is there now. My only hope is that Bob Jones lets the city annex this land, as it is to my knowledge, in the county currently.

I do admit that I have mixed feelings about the new Bob Jones development, as to what businesses they are going to place in there...

As for retail, anything there will look better than what is there now. My only hope is that Bob Jones lets the city annex this land, as it is to my knowledge, in the county currently.

I know that early on in the process, the Hines group was not expecting any interference from BJU regarding potential tenants.

And, yes, the city line ends at Pleasantburg.

The first document is nothing new. It was released a few years ago when the initial federal courthouse rumor was beginning to surface. The second however is indeed news and confirms what I had anticipated concerning the restructuring of the plans to build so many new courthouses due to the rising costs of building materials. No words were specifically mentioned about Greenville, but the previous reports pointed in the direction of the possibility that it may be several years before construction actually happens. I can only hope it will be worth the decade or longer wait. So far Greenville has wasted one of the most important pieces of land in the entire city and that makes me quite sick.

You both are correct regarding the years away from construction. What we were hoping for though was an unveiling of the plans for the property within a year. This seems less likely in light of the latest report and continuously rising construction costs. A design may be created, but a solid estimate would be virtually impossible so far ahead of actual construction.

The article says it is going to be a "one-of-a-kind" development and the biggest economic announcement since 2000. This could be bigger than ICAR or Verdae seeing how those were announced after the year 2000. THIS COULD BE HUGE!!!! :)

Edited by g-man430