New Greenville developments

gs3

I love the sound of a $100-million "corporate headquarters!" Employing 600 and with the possibility of investing as much as $200-million over a decade, this is extremely good news! I seriously wonder where it will be built. Butch Kirven is with the County Council, so I assume this will not be located in the City. A possibility might be The Matrix on highway 25. But I know that The Point has also been luring corporate headquarters. Interesting! :yahoo:

I just got home and read the article on "Project Pogo." Wouldn't it be great if the corporate headquarters that will emply 600 would locate downtown?

<letting everyone's imagination run wild with that one for a moment>

Regardless of where it would be, I think something of this magnitude would have a big effect regardless of where it is! Let's keep our fingers crossed on this one! :)

I am seriously doubting it will be built in the City, although it could still be if it is located along I-85 in either Verdae, The Point, The Millennium Campus, or The Global Trade Center. What other possible locations might we think of?

• The Matrix
  • CenterPointe
  • Brookfield South
  • etc?

I have a hunch it will be somewhere in southern Greenville County. ;)

Could it also have something to do with airplanes hopping or "bouncing" from place to place? Nah.

The journal said it was a "hush hush" thing between the CITY and DEVELOPERS. Why would the city be so involved if it was more county related? I still hope for downtown.

600 employees.... :yahoo:

I wonder if this has anything to do with that possible California company that Greenville was visiting...?

The journal said it was a "hush hush" thing between the CITY and DEVELOPERS. Why would the city be so involved if it was more county related? I still hope for downtown.

One scenario would be incentives coming from both the city and county. This would require involvement from both entities.

Actually, Greenville Journal mentioned it in the TBA column, but it was released last week, so I'm confident we'll see more this week. Also keep in mind that this was posted at around 4pm, so it hadn't made its way to the news stands yet. :thumbsup:

I would assume we'll see something in tomorrow's paper though. ;)

I wonder which other cities we are in competition with?

I also find it interesting that this was not mentioned in the Greenville Journal. For once, the Greenville News seems to be ahead of the curve!

I heard the competition city was in Florida. That was also reported this morning on WYFF news.

The one thing that seems certain, it will NOT be automotive related, as the article said the business would be unique, a first. Greenville has the automotive industry covered.

Do you guys think it may be the bio-medical mentioned sometime back?

The Pogo link is great Skyliner! That's very interesting.....hmmmmm

Any ideas on when the official announcement will be made?

I also find it interesting that this was not mentioned in the Greenville Journal. For once, the Greenville News seems to be ahead of the curve!

The Greenville Journal did actually have a very short blurb in the TBA section about the hush-hush, closed-door talks regarding "Project Pogo," but no details.

Edit: Nevermind...Skyliner already pointed that out. It would definitely pay me to read-ahed and cache.

Edited by RestedTraveler

The article in The Greenville News today has a little more detail about the project. Sounds very exciting indeed!

A few eye-catching/ear-opening quotes:

"...the development would be the first phase of a multiphase project..."

"The jobs would pay an average of $54,000..."

"...the company would generate $11 million a year..."

The project is compared to "the scope of Hitachi or BMW Manufacturing in terms of the amount of property it would require..."

"...the development plans she (Judy Gilstrap) has seen are 'absolutely phenomenal.'"

"...the company could kick off the first big cycle of post-manufacturing economic development in the state, with Greenville in the lead."

:yahoo:

Wow, this is really exciting for Greenville. :yahoo:

I hope that the County can put together an attractive incentive for them to locate here. it would be quite a let-down to lose this opportunity.

Maybe we should take the company execs on a UP tour of the upstate. If anyone could sell Greenville, its us! :D

The article in The Greenville News today has a little more detail about the project. Sounds very exciting indeed!

The project is compared to "the scope of Hitachi or BMW Manufacturing in terms of the amount of property it would require..."

"...the development plans she (Judy Gilstrap) has seen are 'absolutely phenomenal.'"

"...the company could kick off the first big cycle of post-manufacturing economic development in the state, with Greenville in the lead."

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the skinny, Skyliner! This is great news! :yahoo:

Hmmm, I'm a tad bit concerned that the competition is in Florida. Their major metros are experiencing significant economic development. But I know that Greenville will put its best foot forward in luring the development to SC--God knows we could use it.

I'm not so concerned. Having moved here from Florida and visited often since moving, I can say that this area of the country cannot be beat by Florida for: quality of life, cost of living, mental health, culture (art, music, theatre, etc.), etc. There's just no comparison.

And add our climate to that list. Florida has no chance of matching this climate. And the nearby mountains are one of the largest attractions in the Nation. :shades:

Oh yea! No comparison there. And easy access to SC's beaches. Florida can challenge, but there's nothing IMO quite like Litchfield, Pawley's... :thumbsup:

Oh yea! No comparison there. And easy access to SC's beaches. Florida can challenge, but there's nothing IMO quite like Litchfield, Pawley's... :thumbsup:

Pogo possibilities? We may learn more tonight at County Council, but there are some big rumors that whatever it is will head to Millennium Campus. A full announcement may be made by the end of next week.