New Greenville developments

gs3

Breaking news on the "Project Pogo" development. Greenville County Council voted today to offer the undisclosed company $12 million in tax incentives. Here is the link to the Greenville News article:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/60307010

The Council takes a final vote tonight. The jobs are supposed to pay an average of $54,000 per year, and hold the promise for further expansion in the future. :D

Very exciting! :yahoo:

I generally agree with Scott Case. In this instance, I think he is being short sighted. The impact of having BMW here is still being felt (and is always growing), and the tax breaks given to them seem like a pittance compared to what they have contributed.

I agree, wellen. Aside from economic impact, a city being able to say that it has businesses like BMW and Michelin gives it a lot of credibility to outsiders. It lets people know that your city is a desirable place to be with a lot going on.

I think we will see this "Project Pogo" turn out wonderfully as well. I am really excited!

I just heard on News 4 that the company with project pogo is looking to locate somewhere along I-85 in Greenville County. So, this could mean it might be placed in Millennium Campus possibly.

You were fast, g-man430! :thumbsup: I saw the same news at the same time, but was in the middle of some important business (food :lol: ) and didn't have time to check back until now. Awesome possibility! $100-200 million on a property fronting I-85 (most likely The Point or Millennium Campus?) would greatly impact the scene as travelers drive through Greenville. :shades:

Another fabulous quote:

"State and local officials say it would be a 'phenomenal' addition to the county and state economy..."

I find it interesting that the report says the company will "create" 600 new jobs, but will be a "phenomenal" corporate headquarters. If the company is so impressive, wouldn't it make sense that it already exists and would "bring" jobs in addition to "creating" new ones? Just a thought I couldn't quite figure out.

Breaking news on the "Project Pogo" development. Greenville County Council voted today to offer the undisclosed company $12 million in tax incentives. Here is the link to the Greenville News article:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/60307010

The Council takes a final vote tonight. The jobs are supposed to pay an average of $54,000 per year, and hold the promise for further expansion in the future. :D

I heard on the morning news today that the council DID pass the tax incentive package. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not much new in this Greenville News article, but here are a few interesting quotes:

"Council Chairman Butch Kirven has said the project could generate $11 million a year in new revenues for the county and could invest $200 million total in its first decade."

"State Sen. David Thomas has said the Legislature also will take up a measure that would extend tax incentives to the prospective firm that were previously off limits."

"Greenville City Council recently met in closed session to discuss the project, and Mayor Knox White said the council could meet again this week to discuss tax incentives."

Not much new in this Greenville News article, but here are a few interesting quotes:

"Council Chairman Butch Kirven has said the project could generate $11 million a year in new revenues for the county and could invest $200 million total in its first decade."

"State Sen. David Thomas has said the Legislature also will take up a measure that would extend tax incentives to the prospective firm that were previously off limits."

"Greenville City Council recently met in closed session to discuss the project, and Mayor Knox White said the council could meet again this week to discuss tax incentives."

Thanks for the link wellen. :thumbsup: Good read. My question....What is up with this Scott Case? He was the lone dissenter on the vote. He always seems to be on the wrong side of issues. Does he not want Greenville to move forward?

Anyway, glad the vote passed! :thumbsup:

Greenville Journal indicated it could be in a services industry like insurance, banking or other financial industry. They also made a call out in the last few pages to the speculation in here that it was something to do with the airline industry. They said that probably next week they'd make the announcemnet.

They also made a call out in the last few pages to the speculation in here that it was something to do with the airline industry.

Richard Branson has been looking at establishing a US division of Virgin for a while.....guess this would be too much to hope for! :P There is the POGO Jet post Skyliner made. And I continue to hear from sources in the airline industry that JetBlue management has both visited Greenville and likes Greenville and has made mention they see it as more than just a city to serve with a few flights a day in the future. The thing is, with airlines, other than a hub at the airport, most office jobs would be reservations / call center jobs, and those do not pay 54K a year.

And then as RT points out, the land area required......hmmmmmmm......

I wish the announcement were being made today! :D

They're back to saying it will require land the scope of BMW and Hitachi again. This leads me to believe that this is much more than just a financial services company unless they're planning on building a campus-like HQ.

My guess is that it will definitely be a campus setting, and include mixed-use buildings. I also think this company headquarters will have a greater impact economically, because it will require many supporting/spin-off businesses, just like BMW has done since building in Greer. :D

Folks, the stage is clearly set for major long-term success in Greenville. No one can seriously deny that this city is destined for greater international prominence in the decades that await us. When you look at the size and level of quality these many master-planned developments promise, the only achievements anyone should expect for Greenville are totally positive.

Folks, the stage is clearly set for major long-term success in Greenville. No one can seriously deny that this city is destined for greater international prominence in the decades that await us. When you look at the size and level of quality these many master-planned developments promise, the only achievements anyone should expect for Greenville are totally positive.

I like the sound of that! :shades:

NEW NEWS. The city voted unanamously to offer 5.75 million in tax incentives and infastructure work last night in a closed door session, add that to the 12 million from the county has already approved and that makes for a very nice package.17.75 million :shok: and the state hasn't even offered there incentives yet.I think this project will come to Greenville.Finally it seems the county and city have the same agenda.