New Greenville developments

gs3

My problem with the building, in addition to it being out of place architecturally, is that it is the clear dividing line between the West End and the "North" Main Street area (even though this is a good ways down South Main. It offers nothing to pedestrians and causes people to turn around rather than explore farther down. If only it were closer to the street and therefore more urban then I'd be fine with it.

My problem with the building, in addition to it being out of place architecturally, is that it is the clear dividing line between the West End and the "North" Main Street area (even though this is a good ways down South Main. It offers nothing to pedestrians and causes people to turn around rather than explore farther down. If only it were closer to the street and therefore more urban then I'd be fine with it.

I couldn't agree with this more! You're absolutely correct. As a pedestrian, this building makes me want to turn around and head back North on Main Street rather than keep going. Fortunately, the Peace Center and RiverPlace are there to keep me interested. And the "wayfinder" signs are there to urge me to keep going, too. But, this visual monstrosity still screams "STOP! DO NOT GO PAST THIS POINT!!"

I like it, too, though travertine-clad late brutalist international style isn't for everyone -- it is a highly urban style, usually found in much larger cities, and often disliked.

It reminds me of a cross between the New York State Theater (the column angles) and the Julliard School (the overhangs) at Lincoln Center in Manhattan, and I've always thought it somehow evoked the folds and creases of stacked newsprint. There's no question that 1) it needs some sprucing up, and 2) if it were torn down, the generation that allowed its demolition would be castigated for their shortsightedness by future generations of urban planet'ers.

I like your description of the building dpa! :) Exactly why I like it. It evokes emotion (good and/or bad), much the same as the BB&T tower which I also am quite fond of. Buildings from all era's had a reason for their look, a story.....we shouldn't change history, we should add to it and make our own, and then let the future generation add their mark, and so on and so on.

Maybe because I like the building, I've never found it a stopper. The stopper when walking down Main Street, in my opinion, is the empy lot used for parking across Broad by Hot Dog King.

if it were torn down, the generation that allowed its demolition would be castigated for their shortsightedness by future generations of urban planet'ers.

Quite true! But to this generation, its just plain ugly. I guess we should learn to live with it for the sake of generations to come. :rofl:

I like your description of the building dpa! :) Exactly why I like it. It evokes emotion (good and/or bad), much the same as the BB&T tower which I also am quite fond of. Buildings from all era's had a reason for their look, a story.....we shouldn't change history, we should add to it and make our own, and then let the future generation add their mark, and so on and so on.

Fair enough, but when are we going to get some towers that represent THIS era? The last tower built was the Carolina First building, and I believe that was around 1999. The last one built before that was probably 10 years prior (one of the Liberty Place buildings, perhaps?). We need to get with it. Lowrises and midrises are great, but too many of them and our downtown isn't indicative of the city we are (and more importantly, the city we're becoming).

Fair enough, but when are we going to get some towers that represent THIS era? The last tower built was the Carolina First building, and I believe that was around 1999. The last one built before that was probably 10 years prior (one of the Liberty Place buildings, perhaps?). We need to get with it. Lowrises and midrises are great, but too many of them and our downtown isn't indicative of the city we are (and more importantly, the city we're becoming).

Agreed 100% Thats why Greenville needs to get something on the empty corner across Broad. :thumbsup:

Agreed 100% Thats why Greenville needs to get something on the empty corner across Broad. :thumbsup:

The city hopes to do something with its corner or at least it had wanted to put something at the stone plaza. I remember the idea of somekind of mixed use that resembled old City Hall tower.

The accursed parking lot used to have buildings on it. I remember a story that the foundations got cracked by dynamite explosions from another construction project. They had to tear the buildings down. The family who owned the lot got mad about this and that is why nothing has been built ever since.

As for the G-News, that is just a very ugly building. It replaced an ugly building too. My bet, is that one day another ugly building will go on the site.

Which leads to a question, do you think the Peace family gave the money for the Peace Center and wanted it to look so nice because they felt bad for sticking the News building on the good people of Greenville?

That may indeed be true, but of course no one but they know for sure. I do know that the original plan for the Peace Center called for a much more ellaborate building, but in the end it was decided that keeping to the traditional materials would be best.

That is interesting. When you say elaborate, do you mean like glass towers, and geometric shapes instead of the red brick?

Which leads to a question, do you think the Peace family gave the money for the Peace Center and wanted it to look so nice because they felt bad for sticking the News building on the good people of Greenville?

I like the News building, but I also like this question! :D Could be true upstategeek. :D

Yeah, it wasn't Blue Fire Grill I figured out, but it was something like it. I was hoping they would have it on again tonight at 11 on WYFF but they didn't. I will find out in a second from watching the video of it on wyff.com

Edited by g-man430

Ok, I just watched the video from 5:00 pm today on wyff.com and it said the restaurant was called Blue Fire Grill. If you want to see the video for yourself just go to http://www.wyff4.com/video/index.html and click on the one that says "WYFF News 4 coverage of South Financial's Headquarters." It will be a few minutes into the video before you see it, but Mark Allen will be reporting.

Yeah, it wasn't Blue Fire Grill I figured out, but it was something like it. I was hoping they would have it on again tonight at 11 on WYFF but they didn't. I will find out in a second from watching the video of it on wyff.com

Thanks g-man! :thumbsup:

Ok, this is really going out on a limb, and this info could be a mix of mis-hearing (for lack of a better term) and wishful thinking so here goes. This was back in late November / early December. My Dad and I were setting up our Christmas lights when our new neighbors came outside. The husband/dad of the fam started talking with my Dad so I just kinda ignored them for a while. So, the new guy went back inside his house and my Dad started helping again. I asked him what out new neighbor is like, what do they do, etc. He informed me that he was a former restraunt owner from New Jersey and that for a number of reasons (climate, schools, cost of living, etc.) they decided to move here. My Dad then told me the part that I'm a little if-fy about. I think he said that he currently owns a bar w/ another investor. This is the stretch, I vagely recall him saying that he was considering opening a restraunt downtown with a name similar to that. I'll follow up on this, but my Dad's asleep (being that is almost midnight) & that Im pretty sure my neighbors are asleep too. More info on this later.

A graduate from Johnson and Wales in Charleston who has owned several restaurants all over the country bought The Gathering Spot in late Nov./early Dec. He is from New Jersey and has the accent to prove it. Sounds kinda like the guy you are talking about, cafealotaguy. His name is Mike.

If any of you have tried The G-Spot in the past for dinner and weren't impressed, I would give it another shot now. They also have started serving lunch.

Edit: Typo

Edited by wellen