New Greenville developments

gs3

Nice enhanced pic, Brad! :) I remember the first time I read the article, and then went over there, how amazed I was that they are planning such a tall building on a footprint of that tiny a dimension. This photo will be very helpful for those who may not have realized the exact location. Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

BTW, the skyline view from Wade Hampton will be prime during and post construction phase. :D

ANother newish developement is the relocation of Holmes Bible College from Downtown to a new campus near nexxt to Furman. They are leaving their old campus becuase the wester corridor cut right through it. They lost 11 buildings in all.

Here is there new campus.

HBC-MP-1.jpg

wish i had a bigger picture

I saw that, I hope it doesn't spark a russ on properties this weekend, I have been looking for something affordable downtown for months, everythin I find just about gets scooped up before I can move on it. I hope to look at a house in the North Main area on Friday.

Home shoppers find market, prices booming downtown

Posted Friday, January 14, 2005 - 1:06 am

By Anna B. Brutzman

STAFF WRITER

[email protected]

Ryan Beasley, a Greenville attorney, lives in an upscale loft apartment at Mills Mill near downtown Greenville and doesn't miss his commute from Mauldin. (Owen Riley Jr./Staff)

Ryan Beasley is among a growing number of homebuyers paying a premium to live downtown.

Beasley, a 30-year-old attorney, recently moved into a new condominium in a renovated mill on Mills Avenue. He doesn't miss the eight-mile drive from Mauldin where he shared a house with a former college buddy.

Young professionals and empty-nesters are snatching up condos downtown, and neighborhoods within walking distance have houses on the market for $1 million or more.

While the average sales price of homes citywide has gone up 13 percent during the past five years, selling prices in some areas have soared 30 percent to 50 percent, according to figures supplied by Joe Pitts of the Greater Greenville Association of Realtors.

The rise is driven on one hand by new construction in the downtown business district, where homes

Interesting! I didn't realize that demand for downtown living eas that extensive. I wonder if they will bulid apartment buildings too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have and they will. The renovations and additons to Wachovia Place had apartments and There are apartments as part of phase II of Riverplace. You at Riverplace where that Hampton Inn will be? Well adjacent to that on the other side of the plaza and fountain will be an apartment building.

My guess is that there will be more apartments to come. But I haven't really heard of anything else being built.

There may be apartments included in that new residential complex in the West End on Pendleton St. That would put you very close to the proposed baseball stadium, if it is to be built there. :)

For quite a while now, I've wanted to post a list of the proposed/potential larger buildings (that we know of) along with their possible height in floors, just to help others get an idea of the upcoming boost to Greenville's skyline.

1. Pinnacle on Main

-- 13 stories

2. Camperdown Condominiums

-- 12 stories

3. Main at McBee (old Kress Bldg. site)

-- 8 stories

4. Bob Ellis designed building (mentioned along with Pinnacle on Main, but no location given)

-- 14 stories

5. RiverPlace Office (largest building shown in the rendering)

-- 8-10+ stories

6. Gateway to Greenville (no actual info, but original plan was 15 stories)

-- 15+ stories

These are only those projects which have either been proposed, or are in the early concept stages and have been made public to date. I know of at least a few other properties the city is eyeing for other potential high-density development, so this list could easily grow within a short time (a few months to a year). :)

Let me know if I've forgotten anything, please. :thumbsup:

Edited by Skyliner

I myself have recently heard about some infill development, but I am not at liberty to give any details and at this time heights have not been decided.

But the city wants foot traffic and so they are pressuring land owners on main st. to develope their properties becuase when people come to a vacant lot they tend to turn around and walk back the way they came.

A walk from the Hyatt to the Peace Center is longer than some people would care to walk. But because the sidewalks are wide, shaded and visually appealing and there are lots of things to see and do along the way, they don't perceive it to be a long walk.

When I went to the information session for the Riverplace development they said that the distance from Riverplace to Hyatt was less than the distance from one end of Haywood Mall to the other. That really puts things in to perspective.

Greenville's developers see the desire expressed by the community to live every moment in enjoyment of life and health. Seeing the overwhelming success of 25 years worth of revitalization, they now always look for ways to enhance the comfort of everyone living, working, and visiting dowtown. This is one of the things that sets Greenville on a pedestal above most other cities in the U.S. :D

More about the development on North Pleasantburg...

County Council approves BJU zoning requestPosted Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:02 pm

By Ben Szobody

STAFF WRITER

[email protected]

Eastside residents fed up with dramatic neighborhood flooding and a potential loss of poolside ambience have won a list of promises from a Bob Jones University developer that opens the door to the school's first for-profit venture into real estate.

In return, County Council approved the university's request for a zoning change Tuesday night in its first regular-agenda meeting of the year that saw newly elected representatives keeping some promises about how they would conduct business.

Rookie chairman Butch Kirven painstakingly explained the council's business to the public throughout the night, while newcomer Tony Trout amiably worked the crowd beforehand and called for an end to stringent security in council chambers in his first request as a public official.

In a list of arcane zoning changes, meanwhile, was the measure that allows an ambitious development including more than 16,000 square feet of streetside retail space, a 110-room hotel and more than 100 condos across Pleasantburg Drive from Bob Jones to move forward.

The university had met with stiff resistance last year from residents behind the sloped site who liked the plans they saw but disapproved of its potential ramifications.

Their leverage: the requested zoning change, which requires council approval and gives neighbors a chance to protest.

Four months after the council tabled the request for negotiations between opponents and the developer, the property on Tuesday was designated a "planned development," one of the most stringent designations the county has and one that requires both the input of neighbors and the ongoing oversight of county staff.

"Neither side is 100 percent satisfied," said Macon Clark, president of the adjacent McCarter Community Club. "We came to terms."

They include a larger-than-usual buffer between the rear of the development and the community pool; an erosion fence to be used during construction and inspected daily; a promise from the developer to pay for any runoff damages caused by construction; protections for the existing trees around the pool; and a water detention pond will be eliminated or reduced in size by a series of underground pipes and "grassy swales," according to terms of the agreement on file at the county.

All were issues residents presented to council members at a public hearing in September.

Houston developer Mark Cover, who will own the project along with Bob Jones and other investors, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Architect Ken Betsch said the agreement isn't far from what the developer wanted to do to begin with, but it took time

Has anyone seen the building being going up in ICAR just off of I-85? It is the one that was posted awhile back, and it is really taking shape. :)

Also, has anyone been into ICAR recently? Are there any other buildings going up currently?

What about the Hubble Lighting headquarters building? Any news or info about the building design? :)

Has anyone seen the building being going up in ICAR just off of I-85?  It is the one that was posted awhile back, and it is really taking shape. :)

Also, has anyone been into ICAR recently?  Are there any other buildings going up currently?

Drove through ICAR last weekend. The steel frame for the first building is up (5 floors looked like)......looks like grading is happening for one or two additional. ICAR has mainly been working on the infrastructure up until now and it's definitely world class. All the bridges are stone with arches, bike lanes throughout the campus and a greenway system for pedestrians throughout the campus. The landscaping is very nice...looks like a good deal of money spent. Nice to see that ICAR seems to really be focused on a world class image and is taking even the small details to a high level. Looking forward to seeing the signing for the campus. Anybody seen any renderings of the signing or ICAR logo?

Thanks for the info, gsupstate. I've not yet had the opportunity to go into ICAR, so I'm anxiously awaiting the chance. I've also not seen any renderings of the signage or logo, but anticipate its arrival soon, because of the marketing campaign beginning to kick into high gear before long. :)

I was down in the West End today and watched the final demolition of the old buildings along Main St. that were involved in the court battle recently. It was very chilly in the wind! They had a hard time bringing the back wall down, since it was directly next to the new RiverPlace building. :blink:

I can hardly wait to see the grand new promenade finished. It will bring both RiverPlace and Falls Park on the Reedy together in such a beautifully attractive manner. :)