New Greenville developments

gs3

South Laurens Street (between Barley's and The Cazbah...across from the bus station) is about to get a serious overhaul. Possibly as soon as next week. Look for new sidewalks, new streetlights, new asphalt, and some decorative paving in the middle (right in front of those swanky new condos). This is much needed.

^ Excellent news. :thumbsup: South Laurens has always seemed like an alley to me......this should really liven it up. :thumbsup:

Agreed. South Laurens Street has some BEAUTIFUL facades, it'll be nice for the street to look nice as well. Great news! And some nice lighting will help it feel a little safer, too, being next to the bus station. :thumbsup:

They say Greenville may get a Debate!!! :yahoo:

As in another primary debate like in 2004 or a full-fledged debate between each party's nominees?

As in another primary debate like in 2004 or a full-fledged debate between each party's nominees?

Nevermind...I just answered my own question by going to WYFF.com. It looks to be just another primary debate.

Nevermind...I just answered my own question by going to WYFF.com. It looks to be just another primary debate.

The location(s) for national candidate debates won't be decided until August or September of next year. And with South Carolina virtually assured of not being in play in the 2008 election, by probably sending its 8 votes to the GOP candidate, I wouldn't expect a nominee debate in this state.

Another office building opened at the Independence Corporate Park today. Liberty Properties wants to invest more in Greenville in the future as well.

Interesting quote:

While Liberty Property sold off its holdings in Charleston and Columbia, Greenville "is a market we would want to stay in," he said.

Link: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/70523026

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenville Woodworker's Guild is in an early phase of a new Education Center. The current center, on Poinsett Highway, is excellent, but too small for the growing membership. Also monthly meetings have to be held in Greer because of space issues. It is hoped that the future center can house monthly meetings, equipment, training/mentoring facilities, and more.

The plan for the proposed center can be found on the Guild's website at http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/ProposedEC.htm . Excellent non-profit organization. No location picked yet. Guild is looking for potential donations of land/capital.

Thought y'all might be interested...

The TBA section of the Journal tells of a Florida company has recently bought 7 acres off of Academy in the West End (beside the Kroc Center?), and could build a mixed use project on the site. Now this could be a huge boon for the area, and for DT as a whole. Thoughts?

Where is this site? I am new here to Greenville. Has there been anymore news about it?

Not sure where to post this, but the Doubletree chain of hotels is looking at a new property for Greenville. I don't know which development. My immediate thought upon finding out, was the McChesney project at The Point, however that's just a guess......I have no idea of the location. Timing is said to be late 2008 / early 2009. :thumbsup:

Not sure where to post this, but the Doubletree chain of hotels is looking at a new property for Greenville. I don't know which development. My immediate thought upon finding out, was the McChesney project at The Point, however that's just a guess......I have no idea of the location. Timing is said to be late 2008 / early 2009. :thumbsup:

I can smell the cookies now! Thanks, gsupstate! I was wondering when Doubletree was going to jump in.

Great news! Doubletree is a nice chain, and one that definitely deserves a presence in Greenville. I think the McChesney project is a great guess. I would also not rule out the possibility that the city could heavily recruit it to be adjacent to the Carolina First Center as a hotel to cater to convention-goers (and also contribute to the Pleasantburg revitalization plan).

According to the article the Building is going to be "condos, hotel and apartments". Don't see this project working in that form.

Do you feel that way because it would have to have a lot of hotel rooms/condos/apartments to be Greenville's tallest? Or because you don't think that is a good location for such a building?

I think this could definitely work if the condos and apartments are more affordable than others in downtown. But if they are hoping to get $250,000+ for 1 BR condos and $1000+ a month in rent from the apartments, I don't see it happening. A new tallest would be great though. Hopefully it would be something iconic without looking too out of place.

I think as a concept and location it's going to be hard to make that work. That site is an island. It is disconnected from the downtown so as a hotel why would you stay there with other options right on main street or within half a block. I'd like to know if downtown can support another hotel with the Peacock and the Main and Broad Hotel coming on line. A 25+ story building is probably going to have in the neighbourhood of 100 condos, probably anywhere between 4-8 per floor for half the floors. The fact that the Peacock got downsized which is a similar type project I don't think bodes well for this concept. I'd be surprised and happily so if this project comes to fruition.

I think as a concept and location it's going to be hard to make that work. That site is an island. It is disconnected from the downtown so as a hotel why would you stay there with other options right on main street or within half a block. I'd like to know if downtown can support another hotel with the Peacock and the Main and Broad Hotel coming on line. A 25+ story building is probably going to have in the neighbourhood of 100 condos, probably anywhere between 4-8 per floor for half the floors. The fact that the Peacock got downsized which is a similar type project I don't think bodes well for this concept. I'd be surprised and happily so if this project comes to fruition.

Most people book hotels online, they aren't going to know one way or another how the hotel is connected to main street. Plus I am sure they will come up iwth a developpment agreement with the city to fix that problem, and this is a good time considering changes will likely be made for Palmetto Bank as well.