New Greenville developments

gs3

Good points. I suppose that Ruth's Chris locating in a 3-star Hilton in Columbia is no different than locating in a 3-star Crowne Plaza in Greenville. But the Columbia location is in a new hotel in a very popular area of town (Vista). Roper Mountain Road seems very quiet to me in terms of nightlife and attractions, but I assume it is close enough to Woodruff Road and will one day draw from the Verdae development. But it almost seems like people not staying at the Crowne Plaza will have to know Ruth's Chris is there to frequent it. They can't count on a lot of visibility in that location.

If it does choose Roper Mountain, the other plus is the traffic count. Traffic count at the Roper/Congaree/385 intersection is some of the highest in the city. Additionally, Roper terminates here, but travel Roper to the East/Southeast and you drive through the middle of some of Greenville's most affluent areas with high disposable incomes.

Anyone noticed that Old Colony Furniture seems to be redoing the outside of their building? I really hope they don't change it too much. It's a cool building with the all glass front, and definitely has kept it's period look. I'm assuming it was built in the mid 50's? :dontknow:

Got word today that Flemings steakhouse is not proceeding with the deal it had with Greenville. Was going to be in front of Whole Foods in the development under construction now. Anyone know what is planned to go in there now?

Also, anyone have any updates on Magnolia Park...I know they hired a development firm....but there is no movement around there.

Got word today that Flemings steakhouse is not proceeding with the deal it had with Greenville. Was going to be in front of Whole Foods in the development under construction now. Anyone know what is planned to go in there now?

Also, anyone have any updates on Magnolia Park...I know they hired a development firm....but there is no movement around there.

It's still on schedule, and will be unlike anything seen in South Carolina. From what I hear, it will be well worth the wait!

The McGarey Group has been hired to merchandise the project. With a 2009 opening, you won't see any movement on the site for another couple of months, but everything is progressing as it should.

http://www.themcgareygroup.com/

The new apartment complex near the intersection of Ridge Road and Fairforest Way was just recently annexed into the City of Greenville. The sign at the site and the website says they'll be ready for leasing in the Spring of 2008. I couldn't see too much work being done, but I'll have to ride back by to be sure. So, who knows if they'll be ready for the Spring. It sounds nice though. They're holding a competition for a sculpture to flank the entrance to the complex. Something to symbolize true modern living, it said. Check out what little they say here: Millennium Apartments This should be a nice addition to the area and should be a little population booster for the City!

Are there no windows on the second floor? What used to be here?

There used to be some sort of offices....attorney or accountant...something like that. Hopefully with the remodel, they will open up windows to the second floor. I would think the front, on the second floor, is some 60's redo, and hopefully would have windows behind. Don't know. :dontknow:

There used to be some sort of offices....attorney or accountant...something like that. Hopefully with the remodel, they will open up windows to the second floor. I would think the front, on the second floor, is some 60's redo, and hopefully would have windows behind. Don't know. :dontknow:

Thanks. While most downtown growth is happening on South Main (McBee and the West End in general), North Main seems to be holding it's own. This renovation follows several other small projects. It's a good sign.

I tried searching but came up with nothing, but does anyone know what is going on along Laurens Rd. and Parkins Mill Rd. First it was the citgo on the corner being demolished and now all the way down to the old feed store is being tore down. The property dosent look too deep but looks like its gonna have some good frontage along Laurens Rd.

I tried searching but came up with nothing, but does anyone know what is going on along Laurens Rd. and Parkins Mill Rd. First it was the citgo on the corner being demolished and now all the way down to the old feed store is being tore down. The property dosent look too deep but looks like its gonna have some good frontage along Laurens Rd.

I've heard it's going to be a Walgreens.

My guess is Walgreens as well. CAP has done a few of them and their is a CVS nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Greenville for a couple of hours yesterday and I couldn't help but notice the transformation that has been done to Laurens Street downtown. Amazing! All three facades and buildings have been renovated and look fantastic and the City has kicked in with drastic streetscaping. New lights, sidewalks, curbs, spaces for trees, etc... I was truly blown away. It used to just be an 'alley' of sorts and now it's a real street. Considering that it's next to the bus station and given the crowd that loiters around, the added lights and new look to the street should help with the leasing of that office space in the first building to be renovated, and should help (if they aren't all already sold) with the condos in the other two. So, if you haven't been by in a while, check it out! Laurens St between Washington and McBee.

Now, if someone would just do something with that damn building on the corner of Main and McBee that looks AWFUL! It takes up that entire stretch from Main to Laurens and offers no street interaction along McBee. I hate it.

It was also very disappointing to hear that the city was going to invest into the GTA transfer center. I took that to mean that it had no plans of being moved any time soon. Maybe once the Woolworth redevelopment plans are unveiled and start construction across the street, someone will come to the City with an offer they can't refuse. I don't think it's necessarily a problem of it staying at that location, but the current set up in general isn't good. It needs to share the site, at least, with various uses of space, including office, residential, and retail. Simply by providing more people and eyes in an area can make people feel safer (whether there's any reason to be afraid or uncomfortable or not).

That yellow building on Laurens St. is now full. The second floor was purchased last year and is occupied by an ad agency. The third floor (I think they might be leasing) is occupied by some sort of logistics company. And rumor has is that the first floor has been (or is about to be) bought by a consulting firm. Not sure about all the details, but that building is pretty much spoken for.

That yellow building on Laurens St. is now full. The second floor was purchased last year and is occupied by an ad agency. The third floor (I think they might be leasing) is occupied by some sort of logistics company. And rumor has is that the first floor has been (or is about to be) bought by a consulting firm. Not sure about all the details, but that building is pretty much spoken for.

Fantastic! It's been a while since I've parked on the Washington Street parking deck, so I haven't seen it since it had signs reading 'available'. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I was in Greenville for a couple of hours yesterday and I couldn't help but notice the transformation that has been done to Laurens Street downtown. Amazing! All three facades and buildings have been renovated and look fantastic and the City has kicked in with drastic streetscaping. New lights, sidewalks, curbs, spaces for trees, etc... I was truly blown away. It used to just be an 'alley' of sorts and now it's a real street. Considering that it's next to the bus station and given the crowd that loiters around, the added lights and new look to the street should help with the leasing of that office space in the first building to be renovated, and should help (if they aren't all already sold) with the condos in the other two. So, if you haven't been by in a while, check it out! Laurens St between Washington and McBee.

Thanks GvilleSC. Good to hear. :thumbsup: I haven't walked down this street in months......will enjoy checking it out and seeing the change. Isn't the city doing the same with McBee through downtown as part the initiative to give side streets the "Main Street feel"?