New Greenville developments

gs3

Thanks GvilleSC. Good to hear. :thumbsup: I haven't walked down this street in months......will enjoy checking it out and seeing the change. Isn't the city doing the same with McBee through downtown as part the initiative to give side streets the "Main Street feel"?

I sure hope the city does something to the length of McBee. The completion of the Peacock will probably help bring the change to that portion, but I hope that someone (the City or the building's owner) will do something with the 'plaza' at the SunTrust building. They need to get rid of those pavers and update that area. A fountain at the corner and an entirely new scheme would do wonders. Back when it was built, the curved side was meant to be the main access point for the building. In the 90's when my dad worked there, there was a parking garage with no street level presence, and a Firestone tire place on that intersection ( I can't remember what used to be on the land where NBSC now stands). But the McBee/Spring Street sides of the building are much more important now to pedestrian activity in general and needs to be addressed.

I know that Suntrust recently reorganized their space inside and consolidated its employees to the lower floors, but I wish they'd add some retail along McBee, if not Spring Street, too. NBSC needs too as well ;)

I sure hope the city does something to the length of McBee. The completion of the Peacock will probably help bring the change to that portion, but I hope that someone (the City or the building's owner) will do something with the 'plaza' at the SunTrust building. They need to get rid of those pavers and update that area. A fountain at the corner and an entirely new scheme would do wonders. Back when it was built, the curved side was meant to be the main access point for the building. In the 90's when my dad worked there, there was a parking garage with no street level presence, and a Firestone tire place on that intersection ( I can't remember what used to be on the land where NBSC now stands). But the McBee/Spring Street sides of the building are much more important now to pedestrian activity in general and needs to be addressed.

I know that Suntrust recently reorganized their space inside and consolidated its employees to the lower floors, but I wish they'd add some retail along McBee, if not Spring Street, too. NBSC needs too as well ;)

I wish there were a way to develop the surface lot for the SunTrust building. Ideally, that lot would be sold and there would be a new building built there with underground parking for both the SunTrust building and the new building. The building would either add some much-needed office space downtown or even add residential space. Heck, I would even take a parking building by itself with cool architecture and street-level retail. That alone would be better than the surface lot that currently sits there. <_<

Edited by Greenville

I wish there were a way to develop the surface lot for the SunTrust building. Ideally, that lot would be sold and there would be a new building built there with underground parking for both the SunTrust building and the new building. The building would either add some much-needed office space downtown or even add residential space. Heck, I would even take a parking building by itself with cool architecture and street-level retail. That alone would be better than the surface lot that currently sits there. <_<

Agreed. You could almost fit a Riverplace type development on that parking lot. It's huge. I think it'd be a great place for that lofty highrise we often talk about that will accommodate the lack of affordable housing options downtown. It seems ideal for any housing really, being such a short distance from Publix and Staples.

Agreed. You could almost fit a Riverplace type development on that parking lot. It's huge. I think it'd be a great place for that lofty highrise we often talk about that will accommodate the lack of affordable housing options downtown. It seems ideal for any housing really, being such a short distance from Publix and Staples.

That would be a perfect place for such a residential highrise. I simply don't see why a developer has not done this yet, unless they feel that there is still room in the high-end residential market downtown. Given the cost of land and building costs, they would obviously need to build up and have more residential units to offset the initial investment - but that wouldn't be such a bad thing. ;)

Seriously though, if I someone is a young professional or recent college grad who wants to live downtown, where would they go? Is it even possible?

Edited by Greenville

...if I someone is a young professional or recent college grad who wants to live downtown, where would they go? Is it even possible?

There are some nice bridges and overpasses throughout downtown. With a sleeping bag, a flashlight, some firewood, and a lighter, one would do well. :rolleyes:

Weren't the McBee Station Apartments touted as being "affordable" downtown residences?

This is ever so slightly off-topic; however, it may be a barometer of sorts...it seems that the number of red dumpsters parked along Main Street in the CBD has multiplied. They're like tribbles!!! There must be an awful lot of demolition/renovation going on downtown right now.

I work in the NBSC building, and to my knowledge Hughes Leasing has no intention of adding a retail component to this building. I know a new southern fusion food restaurant is opening at McBee Station (former Rick Erwin chef and a restauranteur from NYC), and a deli is also coming in soon, so that might attract more food traffic and thus more retail interest. Maybe that will prompt the city to look at revitalizing the sidewalks to be more pedestrian-friendly.

Speaking as a young professional that lives downtown, (24 F in comm. RE finance), I believe there are four legit places you'd want to look at. It really depends whether or not you want to buy or lease...

1. West End Cottages- this is where I live currently, and you can't beat the location. I don't know where the prices are now, but I'm assuming they're in the low to mid $200k to buy. There are several units available to both buy AND lease now, and I believe one of the leasable units has a purchase option. The tenant mix is mid 20's to 30's, although there's not much of a community vibe...i.e. I don't see my neighbors everyday, but we I do we're friendly...it's definitely worth checking into.

2. Pendleton Place- much younger mix, and the units are cheaper...very nice though. The less expensive price is because of the location, which is very close to Downtown but in a less desirable area (near Spiro's Petes). Younger crowd, very communal.

3. The Brio- won a development award in 2006; upper 100's in terms of price. I don't know if they lease or not. Built for young professionals looking to own their first home, and being built right off of Church St. there's no doubt these will appreciate in value as well.

4. Wachovia Place- right off Main St., available for lease. Cannot beat the location- you can walk everywhere

5. McBee Station- I don't know the profile here, but they're close to downtown as well and newly available for lease.

Hope this helps!

That would be a perfect place for such a residential highrise. I simply don't see why a developer has not done this yet, unless they feel that there is still room in the high-end residential market downtown. Given the cost of land and building costs, they would obviously need to build up and have more residential units to offset the initial investment - but that wouldn't be such a bad thing. ;)

Seriously though, if I someone is a young professional or recent college grad who wants to live downtown, where would they go? Is it even possible?

Welcome aboard, hdouglas!

I remember we had one poster on here at one point who lived at the Davenport. They said the rent price and I think it was about what I pay in Clemson. So, I'd say it's affordable, but who knows what the condition of the older buildings are? It might not be worth the price you'd pay, but they might have character. Overall I think you'd have to agree that the selection is NOT great.

The Brio is way off the beaten path and not walkable to any place of interest downtown.

Speaking as a young professional that lives downtown, (24 F in comm. RE finance), I believe there are four legit places you'd want to look at. It really depends whether or not you want to buy or lease...

1. West End Cottages- this is where I live currently, and you can't beat the location. I don't know where the prices are now, but I'm assuming they're in the low to mid $200k to buy. There are several units available to both buy AND lease now, and I believe one of the leasable units has a purchase option. The tenant mix is mid 20's to 30's, although there's not much of a community vibe...i.e. I don't see my neighbors everyday, but we I do we're friendly...it's definitely worth checking into.

2. Pendleton Place- much younger mix, and the units are cheaper...very nice though. The less expensive price is because of the location, which is very close to Downtown but in a less desirable area (near Spiro's Petes). Younger crowd, very communal.

3. The Brio- won a development award in 2006; upper 100's in terms of price. I don't know if they lease or not. Built for young professionals looking to own their first home, and being built right off of Church St. there's no doubt these will appreciate in value as well.

4. Wachovia Place- right off Main St., available for lease. Cannot beat the location- you can walk everywhere

5. McBee Station- I don't know the profile here, but they're close to downtown as well and newly available for lease.

Hope this helps!

There is more than that. I have friends all over the place downtown in houses in N. Main and off Augusta or little apartments here and there. I myself am at Pendleton West and love it.

I was downtown in the West End today with class for a few hours. I noticed that the Brownstones are coming along SLOWLY it seems. People were out there working I believe, but it seems like they only had accomplished what they had done last time I saw it... the sign says 3 sold, 6 left.

The amount of work going on in the West End was A LOT just in that short stretch from River Street to Camperdown Way. All along Main there were trucks and dumpsters and men working on upfits and renovations. Chicora's sales office is still behind brown paper. One thing that really bugs me in this stretch is that the three story building next to the Army Navy Store is empty. No renovations or anything has been done to it. Does anyone know who owns it?

Also, apparently an attempt for a large development is still in the works for the land between Augusta and Main behind the 'Legal Services' building. My source says they're trying to buy up and piece all of those properties together for something mixed use.

Edited by GvilleSC

Also, apparently an attempt for a large development is still in the works for the land between Augusta and Main behind the 'Legal Services' building. My source says they're trying to buy up and piece all of those properties together for something mixed use.

This would be nice! Would it involve tearing down the old buildings along that side of Augusta (across Augusta from Mellow Mushroom, Life is Good, Pink Bee, etc.)? Those buildings are looking really old...

This would be nice! Would it involve tearing down the old buildings along that side of Augusta (across Augusta from Mellow Mushroom, Life is Good, Pink Bee, etc.)? Those buildings are looking really old...

I'm sure it would involve tearing stuff down, but I think it would be across the street from those you mentioned. They're on the same side as Mellow Mushroom aren't they?

Anyone know what the deal with the Legal Services building is? Is it still used for "legal services?" Is it an official historical building? It looks to have a classic architecture that would make it hard to tear down, not just for the solid looking construction but also it's a historical look you don't see very often.

Greenville had another, "corner/pie shaped" building where the Pete Hollis Statue is now but it feel into disrepair and a haven for the homeless. Their might be another corner building in West Greenville but I can't remember.

Anyone know what the deal with the Legal Services building is? Is it still used for "legal services?" Is it an official historical building? It looks to have a classic architecture that would make it hard to tear down, not just for the solid looking construction but also it's a historical look you don't see very often.

Greenville had another, "corner/pie shaped" building where the Pete Hollis Statue is now but it feel into disrepair and a haven for the homeless. Their might be another corner building in West Greenville but I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure that at least some part of the building is still used for some sort of 'legal services'. It'd never get passed the DPC to tear it down. Everything I'm talking about is behind it.

The gateway site has the potential for a "corner" or 'flatiron' building depending on how they arrange the buildings on the site.

I really like the Legal Services building. It is really cool and has a good presence on that corner. I hope it is never torn down!

I've always thought this building could be a kickass restaurant/bar. Imagine what Soby could do if he got his hands on this spot! :D

I've always thought this building could be a kickass restaurant/bar. Imagine what Soby could do if he got his hands on this spot! :D

I like the way you think. It is two stories, yes? I can easily see a two-story bar with space for local bands to play. Or they could also have a restaurant downstairs and a rowdier bar upstairs.

This is kind of an awkwardly long picture (or group, actually). At some point I'll break it down to a more manageable size, where you can actually see the buildings. Anyway, this is the rapidly changing face of Greenville's West End along South Main Street. This is every storefront along the Western side of the street from Camperdown Way to River Street:

2233290041_76b9913888_b.jpg

I have more to add but this is the only portion I've put together so far. I think the buildings in the middle and on the left side have more character than those to the right tend to.

Edited by GvilleSC

This is kind of an awkwardly long picture (or group, actually). At some point I'll break it down to a more manageable size, where you can actually see the buildings. Anyway, this is the rapidly changing face of Greenville's West End along South Main Street. This is every storefront along the Western side of the street from Camperdown Way to River Street:

I have more to add but this is the only portion I've put together so far. I think the buildings in the middle and on the left side have more character than those to the right tend to.

I really like the effect of the separate pictures pieced together. :good:

Here are more of the facades of the West end.

This is the same from before:

South Main Street between Camperdown Way and River Street, West End Historic District, Downtown Greenville

Augusta Street south of Main, West End Historic District, Downtown Greenville

2234249097_d26a706921_b.jpg

South Main Street between River Street and Oneal Street, West End Historic District, Downtown Greenville

2234251603_ed212d1ee8_b.jpg

I wish that I had gotten more of the storefronts on Augusta.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

This is on the planning commission's agenda for March: Hampton Ave

Someone is looking to build 5 detached homes on Hampton Avenue in the Hampton-Pinckney Historic District. It was previously one lot.

I think this will not only be a good looking development, but it should work well with the current redevelopment going on in the neighborhood (the Mulberry Street stuff). I hope it gets approval and gets built. I also hope that the city will work to better connect this area west of the CBD to Main Street. The big problem would be Academy Street, of course.

My parents got a notice today of the Fairforest Way Improvement Project Public Meeting. I assume because their proximity to the street... If anyone is interested in going and doesn't know the details yet, it's:

Thursday February 21, 2008

6:00-8:00 pm

at Christ Church Episcopal School

A presentation will begin at 6:15 and will be followed by a question and answer period.

We've all heard that they plan to make it more like Millennium Boulevard, so I'm not entirely sure what they'll present (if anything will be new or not). Maybe they'll talk about the renaming? Who knows, but I look forward to the improvements!