New Greenville developments

gs3

I'm extremely excited about how fast the City is moving on this project! I might just have to buy myself a bike and use it... Is there a bike rental place anywhere along the trail or downtown? I can't think of any, but it'd be a great idea if there was.

What a great idea. The demand may or may not be great right now, but it will definitely come. When the Greenway is complete, it will seem a no-brainer that people will want to rent bikes to enjoy it in its entirety and have the convenience of not hauling their bikes downtown. I think it would work better than the pedicab thing did/does--but I could be wrong. Has anybody seen them around since last summer? Their website and downtown signs are still up, but I never see them anymore.

I think the City does a great job with signage and really branding the City. For that I give them an A++. I also like the IDEA behind their "More to see on ____ street" signs that line Main Street. It's a great way to get people aware of things along the perpendicular streets. For that I also give them an A++. But, I do have a gripe with their "more to see.." signs. They're cheap! Most of the south facing sides are faded beyond legibility. I noticed this particularly at Broad Street where there's no canopy to protect the sign. I think it's time to reinvent these signs. Maybe a black metal sign (shingle or otherwise)? Something needs to be done as it begins warming up and the population downtown swells during all hours of the day.

Edited by GvilleSC

I think the City does a great job with signage and really branding the City. For that I give them an A++. I also like the IDEA behind their "More to see on ____ street" signs that line Main Street. It's a great way to get people aware of things along the perpendicular streets. For that I also give them an A++. But, I do have a gripe with their "more to see.." signs. They're cheap! Most of the south facing sides are faded beyond legibility. I noticed this particularly at Broad Street where there's no canopy to protect the sign. I think it's time to reinvent these signs. Maybe a black metal sign (shingle or otherwise)? Something needs to be done as it begins warming up and the population downtown swells during all hours of the day.

That one near Broad & Main is horribly faded as is the one near W. Court by Soby's....and a few others.

Say - has anybody noticed that the one near Larkin's is practically a free advertisement for them? Three lines advertising that they're not only there, but open for lunch daily. :lol:

I would like to see more of these "more to see" signs along the river walk / trail system, too, but I do agree that the quality isn't quite what it should be if they fade so easily.

History Question:

I seem to remember during a past black history month coverage on WYFF-4 that Greenville's first African-American owned bank was located at the corner of Main and Washington Streets (@ the NuVox HQ site). Does anyone know if that is indeed correct? And is it the same building that is located there now? (the location would make sense since the City has deemed that intersection Sterling Square and it's dedicated to African American history in the City)

Anyway, I was thinking that if NuVox is indeed the company that is looking for a new location (on Main or outside downtown, as reported in the Journal), that it would be great if their current building was demolished and redeveloped or simply renovated as a mixed-use development. I was just trying to figure out if any such drastic changes would be allowed (obviously not, if it was indeed the same building that housed the bank). Mainly retail needs to be added on the street.

History Question:

Anyway, I was thinking that if NuVox is indeed the company that is looking for a new location (on Main or outside downtown, as reported in the Journal), that it would be great if their current building was demolished and redeveloped or simply renovated as a mixed-use development. I was just trying to figure out if any such drastic changes would be allowed (obviously not, if it was indeed the same building that housed the bank). Mainly retail needs to be added on the street.

I don't know about it being the location of the bank but in more recent history that location was occupied by JCPenny before it moved out to Haywood Mall. It consisted of three floors, basement, first and second floor. I think the basement housed some hardware, toys and maybe childrens clothes, the first floor was men's clothing and the second women's clothing as well as the payment/catalog/layaway and offices section. I think their was a parking garage on the backside of the building.

I don't know about it being the location of the bank but in more recent history that location was occupied by JCPenny before it moved out to Haywood Mall. It consisted of three floors, basement, first and second floor. I think the basement housed some hardware, toys and maybe childrens clothes, the first floor was men's clothing and the second women's clothing as well as the payment/catalog/layaway and offices section. I think their was a parking garage on the backside of the building.

For some reason I was thinking it was Belk's and not Penny's

Nope Belk's was where the current Poinsett Plaza (the big building next to Poinsett Hotel. Is currently located. It was quite surreal too.

Myer's Arnold was in the building where Atlanta Bread Company is. That might be what you're thinking of.

Payne's for Music was there before Penny's. Ivey's was where Atlanta Bread Co. now resides (the remodeled Findlay Building on the northeast corner of Main and E. North). I wasn't aware Meyers-Arnold was in that building. Would that have been after Ivey's moved out? Meyers-Arnold was in the building that Mast General is now doing business.

Payne's for Music was there before Penny's. Ivey's was where Atlanta Bread Co. now resides (the remodeled Findlay Building on the northeast corner of Main and E. North). I wasn't aware Meyers-Arnold was in that building. Would that have been after Ivey's moved out? Meyers-Arnold was in the building that Mast General is now doing business.

Never heard of Payne's Music. Did it take up the whole building space that Nuvox and the old Penny's did? Now that you mention it you may be right about Ivey's. I always got Ivey's and Myers Arnold confused since they were the major anchors at McCalister square back in the old days in addition to Belks. However the Belk stores in the old days were not as unified as they are now. You had Belk Simpson, Belk Hudson, Belk Legget, etc.

Never heard of Payne's Music. Did it take up the whole building space that Nuvox and the old Penny's did? Now that you mention it you may be right about Ivey's. I always got Ivey's and Myers Arnold confused since they were the major anchors at McCalister square back in the old days in addition to Belks. However the Belk stores in the old days were not as unified as they are now. You had Belk Simpson, Belk Hudson, Belk Legget, etc.

Payne'e for Music was in an old 19th century building on that land before Penny's tore it down and built their new store there (their original location was north a few buildings, burned down, then they built on the corner). You can see an old photo of Payne's in Jeff Willis's Remembering Greenville.

By the way, do you (or anyone) know about the building that is in the West End where that jewelry place is and the art gallery? It's to the right of the building that Rick Erwins is in. On the top of the building is engraved "1946 Simpson." I've assumed that this was an old Belk-Simpson store, but haven't looked it up yet.

The new park at Verdae looks like it is going to be yet another GREAT amenity for Greenvillians to enjoy.

The G'ville News reports that the 20-acre park, "will consist of a six-acre green surrounded by flower gardens, a playground, a stone cabana with picnic tables, a waterfall and fountain, a hiking trail, a volleyball court and a pond. Plans also call for Legacy Park to have an open-air amphitheater with room for 250 people and to connect with a proposed bus line linking downtown to the International Center for Automotive Research."

Nice.

Somehow I don't think the city will allow hot dog stands in this one either ;)

This is located near the intersection of Highway 290 and McElhaney Road in Taylors/Greer, right beside the Spinx/Burger King. The moratorium has been lifted. This one is just like many of projects in this area that have been affected by the economic downturn. it probably will not happen anytime soon. Speaking of other projects, I noticed nothing is happening beside the City Hall downturn. Is that project now on hold?

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm not sure it's timely, either. From the Journal's 2007 'Behind the Counter' publication, it included Overlook Grill. One owner, Sam Kleckley, also owns Jeni Lee's that was (or maybe still is?) in one of the Liberty Square towers, and one in Belk at Haywood (now closed). Well, it mentions that in April, a "Jeni Lee's and More" is suppose to open in 301 North Main Street. (What building is this?) Also, depending on when this publication came out in 2007 (anyone know?), it may have meant 2007 April, which would mean it never happened? But, if it was in the second half of 2007, then downtown might have a new restaurant opening soon. Does anyone know anything???

This is located near the intersection of Highway 290 and McElhaney Road in Taylors/Greer, right beside the Spinx/Burger King. The moratorium has been lifted. This one is just like many of projects in this area that have been affected by the economic downturn. it probably will not happen anytime soon. Speaking of other projects, I noticed nothing is happening beside the City Hall downturn. Is that project now on hold?

LOL.....I know that is you G-man.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm not sure it's timely, either. From the Journal's 2007 'Behind the Counter' publication, it included Overlook Grill. One owner, Sam Kleckley, also owns Jeni Lee's that was (or maybe still is?) in one of the Liberty Square towers, and one in Belk at Haywood (now closed). Well, it mentions that in April, a "Jeni Lee's and More" is suppose to open in 301 North Main Street. (What building is this?) Also, depending on when this publication came out in 2007 (anyone know?), it may have meant 2007 April, which would mean it never happened? But, if it was in the second half of 2007, then downtown might have a new restaurant opening soon. Does anyone know anything???

There was a new "Behind the Counter" in the Journal about 4 weeks ago. The 2007 edition was probably put out in late-February or early March last year.

There was a new "Behind the Counter" in the Journal about 4 weeks ago. The 2007 edition was probably put out in late-February or early March last year.

So is Jeni Lee's and More open in the Landmark building? I never go down College Street, nor I have I ever been in the building.