New Greenville developments

gs3

It looks like the Charleston group's plans for a Boathouse restaurant in Greenville is on hold for now due to the economic downturn. They're focusing on their current locations in Charleston and Asheville.

It doesn't sound dead, just waiting for now...

Here's the Greenville News' coverage: Article

While, I'd love to see something in that space, there's enough activity down there that you don't notice it being empty. So in that aspect, it doesn't bother me. Also, isn't a nice seafood place suppose to open in the City Hall development? [i'm not sure I'd want my seafood restaurant near the Reedy. people might associate their food with that in the river...]

Nonetheless, I hope things start looking positive again for them, and they open their restaurant at Falls Park.

• 2 weeks later...

anybody else notice that there are new retail center planned across the street from both the pleasantburg Greenville Tech entrance and the Faris Rd. Greenville Tech entrance?

I haven't noticed the one on Pleasantburg, but hasn't the Faris one been there a while? I figured it was dead, unless it's a different one... Unfortunately the development next to Morgan Manor at Pleasantburg and Cleveland Street hasn't happened and the land is for sale.

Is the Pleasantburg location at the old Mexican restaurant place?

Great news! It says a lot about Liquid Highway to have survived Starbucks' move directly adjacent to the Liquid Highway location on East North Street near Pleasantburg Drive. I assumed it was a foregone conclusion that Liquid Highway would go out of business at that location when Starbucks moved in, but they continue to do well. I'm glad to hear that they are expanding.

Interestingly enough... their business improved after Starbucks came in. Despite being a non-profit, they compete with the big boys very well.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the gated neighborhood that was already started up there and had financial issues and halted is it? A new beginning for it? I hope it's something new, but I can't think of the name of the other one.

I believe you are referring to Thornton Hall. And to answer your question, I'm not sure if this new neighborhood is related to that one or not.

You guys are going to love this. I just saw an article in The Greenville News about Dunkin' Donuts building a factory in Laurens County. It benefits them because the land is cheap, and it is in a central location for their 37 new stores in the upstate and 31 in the midlands.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...SINESS/80501071

BUT, there is a great gem hidden in the article! It seems to settle the "debate" about Dunkin' Donuts locating at Piazza Bergamo:

"The group of donut-and-coffee outlets will include a special, showcase restaurant in downtown Greenville. That restaurant -- scheduled to open this summer — will have two levels and leather seating in the North Main Street building where the Loose Lucy’s apparel store is now, Thorne said." :yahoo:

Edited by Greenville

There are a couple of storefronts available in that building, still, aren't there? As I seem to recall, there was a sandwich shop that never quite materialized...perhaps DD is going into that location?
Bruegger's Bagels was planning to go into the building next door (with Meat Heads sports bar), but I didn't consider that location as a possibility, based on the article.

Bruegger's Bagels was planning to go into the building next door (with Meat Heads sports bar), but I didn't consider that location as a possibility, based on the article.

I didn't know we were getting a Bruegger's!?

The Dunkin' Donuts places sounds great! I like the words "showcase restaurant" and I like the two level aspect! Good find. North Main is holding its own to the West end. :thumbsup:

BUT, there is a great gem hidden in the article! It seems to settle the "debate" about Dunkin' Donuts locating at Piazza Bergamo:

"The group of donut-and-coffee outlets will include a special, showcase restaurant in downtown Greenville. That restaurant -- scheduled to open this summer

Just checked and they actually have two Greenville shops, one on Woodruff Road and one on Augusta Street as well.

Yes, there's one on Woodruff Road near Garlington ... never been to it ... and another on Augusta, where Salsarita's used to be - in the old post office. My wife and I drop in there every weekend for a bagel.

The one on Augusta is oddly never very crowded, and the fact that you, Skyliner, didn't realize it was even there speaks volumes! :blink: They need to get some advertising or word-of-mouth going.

I actually thought it was the same building for some reason. :huh: I had thought there was another sandwich shop that was going in there ... something with "Loaf" in the name, if I recall, that also had a location in Charleston? My mind is becoming more and more like swiss cheese as I age.

Edited by RestedTraveler

The one on Augusta is oddly never very crowded, and the fact that you, Skyliner, didn't realize it was even there speaks volumes! :blink: They need to get some advertising or word-of-mouth going.
I've passed it a few times, but for some reason it never registered. I rarely get over that way anymore since Earth Fare and Nick-N-Willy's closed. There are quite a few fantastic boutique shops along that stretch, but I just haven't been over there much in quite awhile. Perhaps I now have another reason, in addition to needing to pay Ten Thousand Villages a visit once again. :shades:

Yes, there's one on Woodruff Road near Garlington ... never been to it ... and another on Augusta, where Salsarita's used to be - in the old post office. My wife and I drop in there every weekend for a bagel.

I forgot about Bruegger's being on Augusta as well. As I type this, however, I realize just how infrequently I am on Augusta Road. I never really have a reason to be on it. :unsure:

I actually thought it was the same building for some reason. :huh: I had thought there was another sandwich shop that was going in there ... something with "Loaf" in the name, if I recall, that also had a location in Charleston? My mind is becoming more and more like swiss cheese as I age.

I am not sure about the name, but you are exactly right about the sandwich shop that was supposed to locate around there. If I remember correctly, it was a small franchise and was going to do a lot of catering. Should we assume that those plans fell through?

At any rate, won't it be funny to have a gym and a Dunkin' Donuts side-by-side? I wonder how many people will finish their morning workouts and then swing by DD for some coffee and a couple of doughnuts? :lol:

Something is being built at Woodruff and 85 (beside Flat Rock Grille) in the location of the old Burger King turned Donut Connection that was torn down. Any idea what this is being built? Rather small building.....fast food looking. Another Dunkin perhaps?

Something is being built at Woodruff and 85 (beside Flat Rock Grille) in the location of the old Burger King turned Donut Connection that was torn down. Any idea what this is being built? Rather small building.....fast food looking. Another Dunkin perhaps?

I have no idea what it could be. It's rather tall, and boxy-looking.

Anyway, I thought they made the doughnuts on location. In reality, they are made in a factory? :dontknow: