New Greenville developments

gs3

My Neighborhood Association meeting will have some special guests this month. We will be discussing a new mixed-use development that is currently being planned for the property at Keith Drive and Pleasantburg Drive. This property is the one that was mentioned as being developed with mass transit in mind. The guests will be Chandra Dillard, Greenville city council member; Ginny Stroup, City of Greenville Development Administrator; and Pat Dilger with Overstreet Studio, who is involved in the project. I'm 90% sure I will be able to attend. The meeting is May 13.

I haven't been in to see the new TrioLoft or Soby's rental apartment, but I think these special rental spaces are such a cool addition/option in downtown Greenville. I'm planning to rent the TrioLoft for a night in Oct. for my wife's 40th.

Anyway, on this same line of development, I've noticed that the space above Trattoria Georgio seems to have been empty for some time. Anyone know about this space? There is a stairway that leads up to the 2nd level that starts in between the Trattoria and Bellacino's. However, I don't think it goes to that space fronting the street. It seems like such a great location for another one of these special rental apartments for special occasions. What a great location overlooking Court Square. The adjacent space above Bellacino's would also be great for such a concept. I believe there already is an apartment (or more) in the back of it, though.

These guys came in and got some stuff from the store. It is going to be a really cool teen center with all kinds of entertainment for them. I was blown away when he told me about the location. We are always trying to do more charity work in the community and I hope he comes back at some point to talk to us.

Isn't that where Chicora Alley is?

Chicora Alley is above the Christopher Park Gallery (I think it's extends above Subway too). The YMCA/Furman thing would be to the left of that. I haven't been in yet, so I don't know if it's above Go Fish or current Spill the Beans or both. The owner of Go Fish lamented the construction and addition of a pipe (that now shows in their storefront window) that had to be installed for the space above his store and I seem to recall in our conversation that it was the YMCA/Furman space.

I hope that doesn't mean Loose Lucy's is leaving.

Heard last night Loose Lucy's is moving to another spot on Main. Jogged by this morning early, and there are "Moving Sale" signs in their windows. So not leaving, but moving. Dunkin is taking their spot. Anyone know Loose Lucy's new spot?

Heard last night Loose Lucy's is moving to another spot on Main. Jogged by this morning early, and there are "Moving Sale" signs in their windows. So not leaving, but moving. Dunkin is taking their spot. Anyone know Loose Lucy's new spot?

That's good to know! I hope Loose Lucy's stays in the City Center, but it would fit nicely in the West End, too.

The City is installing new black poles and arms to hold traffic signals at the intersection of College Street and the entrance to the Library/Heritage Green parking. That will be a few less wires hanging in the sky downtown. :thumbsup:

I've been waiting for this one ... they installed the anchors for these and the crosswalk signals weeks (if not months) ago. Baby steps! :yahoo: Some equipment was out working on the new park there last weekend as well - looked as though they were burying conduit for utilities.

The roads around that park are literally falling apart though as they are all over the county and state. I've had to replace a bent rim, have another bent back into shape, and I've already replaced two of the four new tires that were put on my wife's car only in November. :rolleyes:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I don't know how long this has been there, but I only noticed last week the new stop sign at Court Square on Main Street. I think it's great to slow people down through the Square. Unfortunately, it's just an average street sign pole holding the sign, unlike the other street and traffic signs in the square that are displayed on nice black poles... I hope the City is working on a more attractive way to post the two stop signs.

Unfortunately, not everyone has been stopping at the sign. I guess it might seem silly since there's not street to cross, just a pedestrian crosswalk...

I don't know how long this has been there, but I only noticed last week the new stop sign at Court Square on Main Street. I think it's great to slow people down through the Square. Unfortunately, it's just an average street sign pole holding the sign, unlike the other street and traffic signs in the square that are displayed on nice black poles... I hope the City is working on a more attractive way to post the two stop signs.

Unfortunately, not everyone has been stopping at the sign. I guess it might seem silly since there's not street to cross, just a pedestrian crosswalk...

I'm pretty sure that those stop signs are temporary (thus the average street sign pole, etc.) to allow people to safely across the street there since they had to close down the sidewalk going in front of the Marriott construction site on that side of the street. It felt really weird to have traffic stop for me when I first went to cross there last week.

Today I went by the southeast corner of Broad and Main and noticed there were cones at the corner around a somewhat triangular looking base (permanent) being created in front of where the Nathaniel Greene statue is. Anyone know what is going up there? :dontknow:

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that in ALL of the text of the plaques around the Gen. Nathanael Greene statue there is not one mention of his first name! Ever single one of them say "Greene" or "Gen. Greene." :shok:

I noticed today that the house (?) at the intersection of McBee Ave and McDaniel Ave in downtown (on the opposite side of the street of McBee Station) is "under contract" and two PODS are on site. I assume the current occupants are in the process of moving out. The structure is a little run down looking, and the for sale sign is a large commercial-type. I wonder what the plans are? Has anyone heard anything? :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's going on with the green building next to Mast (from the back at least)? It looks like it's being completely gutted. I noticed it for the first time from the Richardson Street garage last night. Maybe it's been discussed before and I missed it...

Today I went by the southeast corner of Broad and Main and noticed there were cones at the corner around a somewhat triangular looking base (permanent) being created in front of where the Nathaniel Greene statue is. Anyone know what is going up there? :dontknow:

Just to follow up on this...the structure they were building up on that corner is a new flower bed to beautify that corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread or a different one, but does anyone know what's going on with the old Travel Inn (Lodge) on Wade Hampton that was shut down by the city? I noticed that the site is now "Under Contract". Hopefully it will be torn down and transformed into something else, but I have a sneaky suspision it's going to come back as another motel <_< . This area of Wade Hampton, coming into town, has so much potential but is a major eyesore right now.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be years, if ever, that Starbucks drops another store in the Greenville Market, corporate store at least. They are limiting new stores in US to 250 per year until further evaluation.

Next one for this area, is set for the downtown Mariott.

Looks like Coffee UG will be safe for a bit.

Edited by ernie_x18

It will be years, if ever, that Starbucks drops another store in the Greenville Market, corporate store at least. They are limiting new stores in US to 250 per year until further evaluation.

Next one for this area, is set for the downtown Mariott.

Looks like Coffee UG will be safe for a bit.

The Marriot Courtyard downtown will sell Starbuck's coffee but will not be a full fledged Starbuck's like the one at Riverplace.