New Greenville developments

gs3

Does anyone know anything about this : 1 Cleveland Street

Tom Croft is wanting 1 Cleveland Street rezoned for mixed use development. I wonder if it's just thinking for the future or if there's a plan in the works.

I'd really like to see Mr Croft focus on getting the Chicora going...

I don't know anything about this development, but if it goes through, these condos could have some great views of downtown. This is a great spot that I've always thought should be residential (condo). Aside from the great view, within a few second walk you can be in four different parks......the Rose Garden, Sue Simpson Park, Falls Park, Cleveland Park.

I believe linkerj can add more, since his office is in that building, but I know the ARP has been wanting to sell that building for a while.

Yes, They are in the process of looking for a new location and are also in the process of putting the building up for sale (I don't feel at liberty to say the asking price however). We currently rent one room are looking for a bigger space and hope we can stay in the same general area.

If it was me and i was buying the building I would keep the outer shell of the building a totally gut it. The heating and cooling (duct work in particular) needs a total reworking. It's a sound structure but not up to modern standards. The top floor doesn't have handicap access to the building either and the upper parking lot and sideways along the building need to be totally redone. I would love see this building be a companion to the Innovate building on the other side of Camperdown near Riverplace (that houses Brains of Fire, Greenville Journal and a couple of other businesses). I think it would also be neat to have some extra stories added to the building (at least two) since 1 Cleveland Street is on one of the highest points downtown you would get a "high-rise" effect without having to build a literal highrise (I'm not sure that plot of land would be condusive to a literal high-rise anyway).

Also if anyone is interested in buying the building should contact Paul Bell, the executive director of the building and central services (responsible for doing a lot of donominational wide admin services for the Associate Reformed Presbyterian denomination) agency within the building. And I wouldn't mind staying or moving back into the building once it's (and hopefully) remodeled --hint, hint.

But we are looking at a place we can have at least two seperate offices, a board room and audio/photo studio space.

I'd like to see a building that will front the streets more appropriately, with as little of a setback as possible. Their application makes a good point that as downtown expands east/west, this property will indeed be in the mix of things and a mixed-use zoning only makes sense.

If the GO Center ends up being built near the intersection of Camperdown Way and Falls Street, this plot of land will be very close. I think anything that doesn't have a real urban feel would be a loss for the 'broad and river district' in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

The new building at the intersection of I-85 and Woodruff Rd., where the donut place used to be will be an AT&T Store. It appears they will have many times more space than the tiny space they now occupy. I wish they would've installed a ground-level sign. The one they erected is hideous. :(

What's gonna happen when and if they turn the Woodruff Rd. interchange into a cloverleaf? Surely, that building would have to go.

A clover leaf would be AWFUL at that intersection. A significant amount of traffic exiting the highway is wanting to be in the left lane for the Shops at Greenridge. Can you imagine traffic, with no signals, and all exiting traffic heading towards Woodruff being in the right lane and trying to get over with the traffic already on the road? Yikes! Something more efficient should be there when an upgrade is made, but I don't think a cloverleaf is the answer. I'm no traffic engineer, either though.

I wish they would've installed a ground-level sign. The one they erected is hideous. :(

I agree. And it isn't just one hideous sign, it is two. :sick: They have another tall one down closer to the La Qunita Inn fronting I-85. It isn't like they need to advertise to 85.....I mean someone passing through isn't exactly going to get a craving for a cell phone, the way you do for fast food. Really bad.

I agree. And it isn't just one hideous sign, it is two. :sick: They have another tall one down closer to the La Qunita Inn fronting I-85. It isn't like they need to advertise to 85.....I mean someone passing through isn't exactly going to get a craving for a cell phone, the way you do for fast food. Really bad.

:rofl:

Check out Greenville County's website. Its probably in there somewhere. Look for sign regulations or sign ordinances. If its not in there I would be surprised. It probably wouldn't hurt for it to be strengthened.

I agree with Spartan, if there are ordinances, they are not strong enough or enforced. I drive down Augusta Rd often and it seems like once one or two shops (that I will not call out specifically) started hanging tacky banners from their awnings, every other shop for 1 mile in either direction started doing the same. The appeal and image of this stretch as a clean and nice place to shop seems to be, in my opinion, threatened by a lack of zoning/ordinances.

I agree with Spartan, if there are ordinances, they are not strong enough or enforced. I drive down Augusta Rd often and it seems like once one or two shops (that I will not call out specifically) started hanging tacky banners from their awnings, every other shop for 1 mile in either direction started doing the same. The appeal and image of this stretch as a clean and nice place to shop seems to be, in my opinion, threatened by a lack of zoning/ordinances.

Fortunately, though, Augusta St doesn't have tons and tons of roadside signs on poles. McDonalds does, but overall the corridor is a lot better looking than Woodruff Rd, Laurens Rd, Wade Hampton, etc. The new Walgreens sign is done in the correct manner for the Street, IMO.

I'm about 90% sure that they don't have one. One was passed for Greenville, Simpsonville, Travelers Rest... and i think Mauldin.

Does Greenville not have any sort of sign ordinance in place? I know they limit the number of signs you can put up, but it seems like more might need to be done.

Greenville does have sign permitting restrictions....the size, type and number of signs is usually based on zoning and road frontage. Building signs usually are based on the square footage of the elevation the sign will be mounted to. Also, certain areas (such as downtown) have other restrictions and more areas are starting to require a monument sign (ground level) as opposed to the larger pylon signs, i believe Augusta Rd is doing this as well as Pleasantburg Dr (those are the ones that come to mind...im sure there are others).

believe me, you cant just put up anything where ever you want....although things are a bit looser in the county.

Edited by charlie swords

Greenville does have sign permitting restrictions....the size, type and number of signs is usually based on zoning and road frontage. Building signs usually are based on the square footage of the elevation the sign will be mounted to. Also, certain areas (such as downtown) have other restrictions and more areas are starting to require a monument sign (ground level) as opposed to the larger pylon signs, i believe Augusta Rd is doing this as well as Pleasantburg Dr (those are the ones that come to mind...im sure there are others).

believe me, you cant just put up anything where ever you want....although things are a bit looser in the county.

Thanks for verifying. Does anyone know if the land in question is in the City or County's domain? A lot of land around it has been annexed, but I'm not entirely sure about this particular plot.

Thanks for verifying. Does anyone know if the land in question is in the City or County's domain? A lot of land around it has been annexed, but I'm not entirely sure about this particular plot.

to answer your question...i have no idea....but, did they put up new signs...i know during construction the existing signs we're never removed but that could have happened later.

If restrictions changed out there, the existing signs may have been grandfathered in. If that is the case they could have put new faces in the signs without having to conform to whatever new restrictions are in the area.

Edited by charlie swords

I assumed they had one... the question is does it specifically address I-85. For example, Spartanburg County's sign ordinance specifically addresses I-85, restricting billboards and signage size and type. Cherokee County does not have a strong enough ordinance, which is why Fatz Cafe was able to come in and put up that huge sign next to the Peachoid.

I assumed they had one... the question is does it specifically address I-85. For example, Spartanburg County's sign ordinance specifically addresses I-85, restricting billboards and signage size and type. Cherokee County does not have a strong enough ordinance, which is why Fatz Cafe was able to come in and put up that huge sign next to the Peachoid.

i'm sure it does on the properties that front 85 and i'm sure it does restrict size and height at some degree...sorry dont know much about that section but i would assume it works the same as the other basing it on road frontage and zoning.

Also the old blimpie/donut connection had a highway sign (i'm sure it goes all the way back to Burger King's occupation of that land) which they probably could just put a new face in and not have to conform to any new codes. They would only have to conform to new codes (if there are any) if they were trying to put in a new sign or sign cabinet on the existing pole. Even if they only had to take down the sign for repairs, they could not put it back up without conforming to the new codes (if there are any). Of course you can always apply for a variance.....