New Greenville developments

gs3

I wish they would close the K-Mart on Wade Hampton and put something there.

Rumor a while back was that they were going to expan in to the Winn Dixie to do a new Super K/Mart, the ones that cobine a sears into the store. I don't think there was anything to it. Considering the how things are out there, we should just be glad the K-Mart is still open and not closed like everything else.

I don't think this has been posted yet: http://www.navarrorealestate.com/mydocumen...e_to_print2.pdf It will be called Piedmont Marketplace and total 130,000+ square feet.

This is great news. We live about 10 minutes from that location here in Greertucky and it is prime real estate. The only thing still occupying it is a Tractor Supply. Wade Hampton is by far the most underserved road here in the Upstate. My wife and I were just talking about this the other day; the fact that we don't have a Ross, Marshalls, Linen n Things, Old Navy, etc. is a joke. Not to mention Chilis or Fridays. Copper River opened up a few months ago and business is booming every single night, always packed. This new shopping center combined with the other one on Buncombe/Brushy Creek is going to add much needed retail to this part of the county.

Nice plans for Piedmont Marketplace. Any idea what businesses may be targeted for Retail A (20,000 square feet), Retail B (45,000 square feet) and Retail E (20,000 square feet?

As for recent activitily along Wade Hampton in Greenville/Taylors, Market Square Deli recently closed up joining Burger King :cry:, Arby's and Long John Silver's as former eateries. K-Mart is barely staying open. Bi-Lo may be converting to a Foodsmart or closing.

Nice plans for Piedmont Marketplace. Any idea what businesses may be targeted for Retail A (20,000 square feet), Retail B (45,000 square feet) and Retail E (20,000 square feet?

As for recent activitily along Wade Hampton in Greenville/Taylors, Market Square Deli recently closed up joining Burger King :cry: , Arby's and Long John Silver's as former eateries. K-Mart is barely staying open. Bi-Lo may be converting to a Foodsmart or closing.

I'm hearing through the rumor mill a Publix might be one of the tenants. I can't confirm nor deny that. Are you talking about the Bilo next to Super Walmart? If yes, that store seems to do fairly good business from what I hear. Probably not as well now though due to Walmart's expansion adding more food options at cheaper prices. Hopefully that crying emotion you have is for Market Square Deli closing and not Burger King. :lol:

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really excited to see residential coming to the general Point area (with connections to the Point, that is). Hopefully as bus service comes to Greenridge, the dwellers of the Verandas will see it as and it will be a viable option of transportation.

I do hope that the site plan calls for a connection to the development from both streets.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame. Isn't that where that beautiful, historic house is?

How is it a shame? :huh::dontknow: If anything, it's a blessing. It's urban, TND, adds to city population, cuts down on sprawl, etc. Sounds like a win-win in my book. If there's a historic house on site then they could easily move it to another location.

TND's are the biggest scam out there. It's a win/win for the developer; he can put a home on a lot the size of a postage stamp, thus making much, much more money and at the same time convince bleeding heart libs that they're being environmentally friendly by making less of a "carbon footprint".

If any of the developers had any integrity whatsoever they'd build a TND with minimum 1/2 acre lots, like TRADITIONAL homes in TRADITIONAL neighbordhoods had, hence the word; but why would they do that when they can squeeze 3 homes on the same size lot and at the same time convince potential buyers that they're helping save the planet, while jacking up the price big time. As PT barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute".

TND's are the biggest scam out there. It's a win/win for the developer; he can put a home on a lot the size of a postage stamp, thus making much, much more money and at the same time convince bleeding heart libs that they're being environmentally friendly by making less of a "carbon footprint".

If any of the developers had any integrity whatsoever they'd build a TND with minimum 1/2 acre lots, like TRADITIONAL homes in TRADITIONAL neighbordhoods had, hence the word; but why would they do that when they can squeeze 3 homes on the same size lot and at the same time convince potential buyers that they're helping save the planet, while jacking up the price big time. As PT barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute".

You don't know much about urbanism or TND do you? Homes built further apart means less density and more sprawl. It also equals more traffic and pollution. Ever been to San Francisco? That's a great example of density and urbanity. That's why you never need a car in that city. I would love to live in a home or condo with no yard. I would never have to mow the grass again. It would be paradise. If you want a yard go to the park kind of like Legacy Park at Verdae. I recommend you read this article Sonrise:

http://www.newurbannews.com/13.6/sep08studies.html

You don't know much about urbanism or TND do you? Homes built further apart means less density and more sprawl. It also equals more traffic and pollution. Ever been to San Francisco? That's a great example of density and urbanity. That's why you never need a car in that city. I would love to live in a home or condo with no yard. I would never have to mow the grass again. It would be paradise. If you want a yard go to the park kind of like Legacy Park at Verdae. I recommend you read this article Sonrise:

Thanks for posting that article, good read.

That's extremely condescending and offensive. I moved here from LA a year and a half ago. I'm very familiar with New Urbanism and TND's. You act as if these developers are doing this out of some sort of benevolence, and that's just what they bank on; the fact that they can dupe people into paying exorbitant amounts of money for a tiny house on a tiny piece of land as long as they market it as New Urbanism or TND. As I stated previously the word Traditional is a misnomer, as it implys that these developments harken back to neighborhoods of yore; truth be told, it's a ruse because neighborhoods in the 20's, 30's, 40's 50's and so one were all built on lots never smaller then 1/4 to 1/2 acre, just look around at older neighborhoods and see for yourself. As far as living in a house with no yard, go for it; that's called freedom of choice, your paradise, not mine. As I've stated previously to you in a similar thread I love my 1/2 acre so my daughter can play and we can grow a garden and grow our own veggies (very green of my, btw ;) ), thing is my choice is as valid as yours, but you don't seem to respect that. I respect your right to pay whatever you want for whatever size house on whatever size lot you choose; I just would appreciate the same.

That's extremely condescending and offensive. I moved here from LA a year and a half ago. I'm very familiar with New Urbanism and TND's. You act as if these developers are doing this out of some sort of benevolence, and that's just what they bank on; the fact that they can dupe people into paying exorbitant amounts of money for a tiny house on a tiny piece of land as long as they market it as New Urbanism or TND. As I stated previously the word Traditional is a misnomer, as it implys that these developments harken back to neighborhoods of yore; truth be told, it's a ruse because neighborhoods in the 20's, 30's, 40's 50's and so one were all built on lots never smaller then 1/4 to 1/2 acre, just look around at older neighborhoods and see for yourself. As far as living in a house with no yard, go for it; that's called freedom of choice, your paradise, not mine. As I've stated previously to you in a similar thread I love my 1/2 acre so my daughter can play and we can grow a garden and grow our own veggies (very green of my, btw ;) ), thing is my choice is as valid as yours, but you don't seem to respect that. I respect your right to pay whatever you want for whatever size house on whatever size lot you choose; I just would appreciate the same.

I think the pot is calling the kettle black on this one with the condescending and offensive comment.

In Greenville, the best example of a traditional neighborhood, I'd say, is the Augusta Rd area. The lots are small and over time, the houses on those lots have been expanded exponentially. The best aspects of this area are the well-connected streets and walkability.

How is it a shame? :huh::dontknow: If anything, it's a blessing. It's urban, TND, adds to city population, cuts down on sprawl, etc. Sounds like a win-win in my book. If there's a historic house on site then they could easily move it to another location.

Hey, I live in the city and hate sprawl as much as the next girl - but, where are the details on this development? If it is done right and they preserve the house, then we'll see. If you have specifics you'd like to share, then by all means, please do so.

Edited by DT-Gville

I think the pot is calling the kettle black on this one with the condescending and offensive comment.

In Greenville, the best example of a traditional neighborhood, I'd say, is the Augusta Rd area. The lots are small and over time, the houses on those lots have been expanded exponentially. The best aspects of this area are the well-connected streets and walkability.

I was about to post the same thing ... in particularly the first sentence.

Yards with room for children to play are indeed a good thing, but not what everyone needs or wants. Even some Christian Exodus members may prefer a more dense urban neighborhood.